Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by incognitoMD
No 24 hour cancellation policy exists on AA. In my experience, some of the "24 hour holds" are valid until 11:59 PM of whichever timezone your held flight is departing out of.
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Airlines only have to provide either a 24 hour hold or a 24 hour cancellation policy, not both. So, as you pointed out, AA offers 24 hour holds on flights using AA planes. 24 hour cancellations are not allowed without a fee.

The answer gets trickier with codeshare flights not on AA planes. Since AA doesn't allow holds on those flights, I think (someone please correct me) there are ways to cancel purchases within 24 hours without a fee.
While this may be the official policy, I've found that many agents are willing to change/cancel flights within 24 hours of ticketing. Of course, YMMV.

If no hold option was offered for your itinerary, the 24 hour cancel policy will apply.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: FT
Looking to burn some miles from Japan to YYZ in F or J for 3.

Wonder what MPM from Japan to YYZ. Does it go by city in Japan?

Was thinking about stopover in YVR or HNL. So perhaps

KIX/HND or NRT to HNL-LAX-YYZ

or NRT-YVR-ORD/DFW-YYZ?

So if I get more bang for buck, I can train it back to NRT/HND versus wasting domestic miles say from FUK to Tokyo and then onward.

So there are options from KIX, HND and NRT on JAL to HNL.

My question is am I realistic to think I can possibly get 3 J seats or 3 F seats on these flights or to YVR from NRT?

Is this just silly and should I just do Japan - HND-JFK-YYZ where it apperas that F space between JFK and HND on AA seems OK...at least on the old equipment.

i would be booking right when space opens for late next summer.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mkjr
Looking to burn some miles from Japan to YYZ in F or J for 3.

Wonder what MPM from Japan to YYZ. Does it go by city in Japan?

Was thinking about stopover in YVR or HNL. So perhaps

KIX/HND or NRT to HNL-LAX-YYZ

or NRT-YVR-ORD/DFW-YYZ?

So if I get more bang for buck, I can train it back to NRT/HND versus wasting domestic miles say from FUK to Tokyo and then onward.

So there are options from KIX, HND and NRT on JAL to HNL.

My question is am I realistic to think I can possibly get 3 J seats or 3 F seats on these flights or to YVR from NRT?

Is this just silly and should I just do Japan - HND-JFK-YYZ where it apperas that F space between JFK and HND on AA seems OK...at least on the old equipment.

i would be booking right when space opens for late next summer.
HA also offers some service between Japan and HNL, and aa.com now displays HA award-seat availability. If you use the "multi-city" award booking engine, you can see whether Japan-HNL on HA, and HNL-YYZ on AA/AS/HA prices as a single award. (Whether using JL for the Japan-HNL segment of the Japan-YYZ trip would price as a single award is a separate question.)

I don't think that a YVR stopover would work, as AA does not permit you to travel from one Canadian city to another via the U.S. on a single award.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:26 am

Hotel booking

Hello everyone, this is my first post but I have already spent some time reading a couple of topics before registration. Anyway, I´m trying to book a hotel with AA miles but at the end of the process I´m asked to provide an address in the USA, Canada or Puerto Rico. My Portuguese address is already filled in, it´s just the country that doesn’t match. My question is, can I book the hotel anyway and just say that the address is in Canada or the US without any problems? Or will they ask me about the address at the hotel and refuse to check me in?

Thank you for your help
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:57 am

gift cards

can I buy some gift cards for walmart, target or supermarkets, to help with the $3000 spend on the new aa mastercard
would appreciate info.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

HA also offers some service between Japan and HNL, and aa.com now displays HA award-seat availability. If you use the "multi-city" award booking engine, you can see whether Japan-HNL on HA, and HNL-YYZ on AA/AS/HA prices as a single award. (Whether using JL for the Japan-HNL segment of the Japan-YYZ trip would price as a single award is a separate question.)

I don't think that a YVR stopover would work, as AA does not permit you to travel from one Canadian city to another via the U.S. on a single award.
Thanks. I was not sure if YVR would be true cabbotage since it would be NRT-YVR-ORD-YYZ.

Yes, NRT-HNL-JFK-YYZ prices out at 50K in J/F but the problem might appear to be space...hmm...i think i will have to troll around to see how likely it is to get 3J/F on HA on this routing.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:35 am

Flight 161 runs from DFW to OGG with a stop at LAX.

There are seats available from DFW->LAX and LAX->OGG but not the whole trip. Is there any way to assign seats for each segment individually?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by chrissydi
can I buy some gift cards for walmart, target or supermarkets, to help with the $3000 spend on the new aa mastercard
would appreciate info.
Yes, absolutely!

Avoid buying prepaid Visa / Amex cards (especially from financial institutions).

Cheers!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:57 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingCoquina
Hello everyone, this is my first post but I have already spent some time reading a couple of topics before registration. Anyway, I´m trying to book a hotel with AA miles but at the end of the process I´m asked to provide an address in the USA, Canada or Puerto Rico. My Portuguese address is already filled in, it´s just the country that doesn’t match. My question is, can I book the hotel anyway and just say that the address is in Canada or the US without any problems? Or will they ask me about the address at the hotel and refuse to check me in?

Thank you for your help
I can't say for sure whether listing the address as USA, Canada or PR will work within the system, but I can say that we've booked several times and never been questioned about address and such. Some hotels in other countries have people fill out a card, but it wasn't tied, in any way, to the reservation. My feeling is that, as long as you can get it to go through, you won't face problems. But you may want to call the support number for that program (different from the AA Web Support number) to get a more definitive answer.

Cheers.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:21 pm

Anybody know of any current promos or ways to quickly obtain 12000 AA miles in the next week or so? I need it to top off my account to book an international award flight in the next week or so. Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy the miles? Any insight appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:07 pm

Booking CX PE on AA ticketed flight ORD-HKG

Hi, this is my first post so apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place or already covered somewhere else.

Am planing to fly ORD-HKG (operated by CX), HKG-HND (operated by JL), NRT-LAX-ORD (AA)...all in econ unforunately and have reserved this with a AA hold but would like to purchase PE on the CX portion.

AA EXP tells me they do not have access / can't book PE on the CX ORD-HKG portion... Has anyone else had this issue and how did they solve this? I checked the inventory on CX online and spoke with CX for my specific travel date and CX tells me (i) there are PE seats available and (ii) they have no idea why AA can't access and they've never heard of this issue.

Is this the same issue as a AA/CX online "mixed-ticket" post in the other thread where you have to book via a travel agent? Or am I way off here?

Thank you
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:29 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by TexAsian
Hi, this is my first post so apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place or already covered somewhere else.

Am planing to fly ORD-HKG (operated by CX), HKG-HND (operated by JL), NRT-LAX-ORD (AA)...all in econ unforunately and have reserved this with a AA hold but would like to purchase PE on the CX portion.

AA EXP tells me they do not have access / can't book PE on the CX ORD-HKG portion... Has anyone else had this issue and how did they solve this? I checked the inventory on CX online and spoke with CX for my specific travel date and CX tells me (i) there are PE seats available and (ii) they have no idea why AA can't access and they've never heard of this issue.

Is this the same issue as a AA/CX online "mixed-ticket" post in the other thread where you have to book via a travel agent? Or am I way off here?

Thank you
Does it price the same way for two one way tickets? Ticket 1 on CX ticket 2 on AA
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:27 pm

Question on airport lounge access. I have a transatlantic flight to London Heathrow, which then goes to Berlin. The transatlantic leg is operated by AA and LHR-BER is operated by AirBerlin. I'm using a SWU that will hopefully clear for the transatlantic portion of the trip, giving me a first class ticket for that leg alone. If it does clear, would I have lounge access in both the US and Heathrow?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Question on airport lounge access. I have a transatlantic flight to London Heathrow, which then goes to Berlin. The transatlantic leg is operated by AA and LHR-BER is operated by AirBerlin. I'm using a SWU that will hopefully clear for the transatlantic portion of the trip, giving me a first class ticket for that leg alone. If it does clear, would I have lounge access in both the US and Heathrow?
Are flying on a paid Business Class ticket, and hoping that your SWU clears for an upgrade to First Class? And note that AB does not fly out of LHR, so your LHR-TXL flight is likely operated by BA, even if it has an AB flight number.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You would in the US, but I do not see any airberlin flights operating from London Heathrow? If it is a codeshare operated by BA, as is most likely you must follow Flight Connections to Terminal 5 and you can use the Galleries First lounge if the SWU puts you in First, the Galleries Business lounges if it does not (assuming you are booked into Business since you say the SWU will get you into F on the transatlantic flight).

Originally Posted by JunkDiver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.