Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by mikee555
Thank you for the quick reply.

You reply make sense, however it does raise some other questions.

If she does get a credit card of her own as well as her own aadvantage account will I still be able to use my miles to to make a reservation for her, such that she could get the free baggage?

I have seen many posts stating that miles can be booked for anyone, but not one mentioned free baggage fees.
Obviously if she cannot get free baggage using my miles, (and I using hers) then for us the biggest benefit of the card, and sharing miles is gone.
I ask because the check-in representative they said that a flight had to booked with the same card and name as the AA account which would mean if I use miles then we are SOL.

On a different note, even when we traveled together or me alone, I could not select the single free bag (grayed out with only the second bag selectable) we had to go to another line with a representative which added at least half an hour to our registration process. Is this normal with the free baggage?

Thanks again.
My understanding is that the check in agent was incorrect. Once you have the card, the primary cardholder's AAdvantage account gets flagged with the free bag benefit. You do not need to use the card to pay for the ticket. You can pay with that card, another card, your miles, or someone else's miles: as long as your AAdvantage number is in the reservation, you should get the free bag.

There's a long thread all about the benefits of the Citi cards here, if you feel like wading through it.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-benefits.html
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You should be able to check the bags through to MEL -- even on separate tickets -- as long as you show the AA agent at LIT a printout of your LAX-MEL ticket.

And you will be protected in the event of a misconnection, even on separate tickets:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
So, I'm all booked but am a little concerned about my connection time on the way out in DFW. I'm on AE 2526 LIT-DFW, 1:55 - 3:10, connecting to 2455 DFW - LAX 3:55 - 5:10. The LIT flight is an ERJ and thus in Y, but I'm in first (fare code P) for the flight to LAX. I wanted to give myself plenty of time in LAX before my QF flight that evening, especially given I have little faith in the LIT staff's ability to check my bag all the way through to MEL since they're on two separate tickets. I'm assuming the worst in having to collect and recheck my bags in LAX.

So, am I being paranoid about my connection time in DFW? I'm sure it'll be a gate change. First and foremost I don't want to miss my connecting flight, with secondary concern that if I miss and wind up on a later flight it won't be in first. Really only a concern as I paid out of pocket for this, it isn't an award.

If I'm not just being anal, should I try to get on an earlier standby seat out of LIT, or pay a change fee to confirm on an earlier flight?

Or just calm down and suck it up?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:44 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thom1033
So, I'm all booked but am a little concerned about my connection time on the way out in DFW. I'm on AE 2526 LIT-DFW, 1:55 - 3:10, connecting to 2455 DFW - LAX 3:55 - 5:10. The LIT flight is an ERJ and thus in Y, but I'm in first (fare code P) for the flight to LAX. I wanted to give myself plenty of time in LAX before my QF flight that evening, especially given I have little faith in the LIT staff's ability to check my bag all the way through to MEL since they're on two separate tickets. I'm assuming the worst in having to collect and recheck my bags in LAX.

So, am I being paranoid about my connection time in DFW? I'm sure it'll be a gate change. First and foremost I don't want to miss my connecting flight, with secondary concern that if I miss and wind up on a later flight it won't be in first. Really only a concern as I paid out of pocket for this, it isn't an award.

If I'm not just being anal, should I try to get on an earlier standby seat out of LIT, or pay a change fee to confirm on an earlier flight?

Or just calm down and suck it up?
A 45 minute connection in DFW is fine. The Skylink is teh best way to make your connections. To improve your odds, do not gate check your bag, as that will eat up 10 minutes while the bags are delivered to the jetway.

On the day of departure keep an eye on the operations and if you think the flight will be delayed, head out to the airport early and get on an earlier LIT-DFW flight.

I think you should check your bags all the way through to MEL. This will not be the first time the staff in LIT have dealt with international connecting flights. By doing so you can avoid the hassle of claiming the bags in LAX and getting them into TBIT and another check-in there. Plus QF operates a bus in the evening to transport passengers from T4 to TBIT - thus avoiding the need to queue and clear security again. The bus departs every 30 minutes at the top and bottom of the hour.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:26 am

Carryon leniency for NRT flights

Hi all, having luggage anxiety. Traveling to Japan for 9 days (1st time) and have been advised by many to just do carryon. Went and bought a spinner to make things easy and well you know...once you add those wheels on your 22 inch bag becomes 24. If I go smaller on a spinner, I'm unable to get 9 days worth of clothes in.

I am flying first class (gratefully) - 1st leg is a CRJ to LAX so I figure no way will it fit, and I'll check at the gate or check to LAX, then claim. 2nd leg to NRT is the 777 - will they let me bring it on? will it fit? Return is on 777 again, then I have a S80 for my last leg home. I don't care so much about the domestic portions, I have a 4 hour layover at LAX on my way to NRT, I just don't want to go through the expense of new luggage if I'm going to have to wind up checking it anyway.

Any input is welcome.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
If it's more than 4-5 days, I'd check the luggage and just bring a small carry-on. Why would you prefer not to?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by HNL
A 45 minute connection in DFW is fine. The Skylink is teh best way to make your connections. To improve your odds, do not gate check your bag, as that will eat up 10 minutes while the bags are delivered to the jetway.

On the day of departure keep an eye on the operations and if you think the flight will be delayed, head out to the airport early and get on an earlier LIT-DFW flight.

I think you should check your bags all the way through to MEL. This will not be the first time the staff in LIT have dealt with international connecting flights. By doing so you can avoid the hassle of claiming the bags in LAX and getting them into TBIT and another check-in there. Plus QF operates a bus in the evening to transport passengers from T4 to TBIT - thus avoiding the need to queue and clear security again. The bus departs every 30 minutes at the top and bottom of the hour.
Thanks. Planning on only a small carry on, so certainly no gate checking. As far as my concern in checking my bag through to MEL, I've yet to be impressed with the AA staff at LIT, and given the fact that the international portion is on a completely separate booking with Qantas (although both OW), I'm a bit skeptical. I'll allow some extra time at LIT to try and get it sorted.

Now just the wait. It's been over a decade since my last trip, and this one I've splurged on and gone business class on Qantas. Looking forward to the club at LAX and the overall experience.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

For the RJ valet check your bag - take it to the gate, they tag it and it goes in the plane's cargo holds (you may have to wheel it down to near the aircraft cabin, depending on the layout and policy at your airport of departure). On arrival, wait at the bagge retrieval area near the aircraft and take your bag when they bring it on the valet check cart. Take the shuttle bus to the main AA terminal.

LAX-NRT you should have no problem, ditto on the return. When you go trough US Customs at LAX, you will have the choice of checking the bag in at the recheck facility or taking it to the gate for the MD80 - it may well fit, but you may be intercepted and prevented from taking it on at LAX, so I may recommend checking in after Customs for your final segment. 24" with wheels will most likely not fit into the baggage template AA uses, so you may find yourself being required to return to the counters to check your bag on occasion. (You might check one of these out just to see.)

Originally Posted by tarasimonebooks
Hi all, having luggage anxiety. Traveling to Japan for 9 days (1st time) and have been advised by many to just do carryon. Went and bought a spinner to make things easy and well you know...once you add those wheels on your 22 inch bag becomes 24. If I go smaller on a spinner, I'm unable to get 9 days worth of clothes in.

I am flying first class (gratefully) - 1st leg is a CRJ to LAX so I figure no way will it fit, and I'll check at the gate or check to LAX, then claim. 2nd leg to NRT is the 777 - will they let me bring it on? will it fit? Return is on 777 again, then I have a S80 for my last leg home. I don't care so much about the domestic portions, I have a 4 hour layover at LAX on my way to NRT, I just don't want to go through the expense of new luggage if I'm going to have to wind up checking it anyway.

Any input is welcome.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 6, 2013 at 7:53 am
Old Jul 6, 2013, 8:42 am

Hi all, not new to the awards game in general, but have never made a AA award in my life yet.

Thinking of a South Pacific (Brisbane) - Asia 2 (Singapore) award (one-way) in Business. I've read the FAQ and it says that routing will need to be "most direct routing".

How strict is this rule? QF have a direct option on BNE/SIN, but would a routing like BNE/MEL/SIN be allowable, or BNE/SYD/SIN (with SYD/SIN on BA CW)? I assume BNE/PER/SIN may be pushing it, and I would hardly dare to suggest BNE/MEL/PER/SIN, BNE/SYD/CBR/ADL/MEL/SIN or other silly gallivanting.... (It is possible to put these altogether without stopovers, so it's really a case of how much "freedom" is possible in routing, or is it really most direct only...)
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For information on AA and Partner awards (as well as the more extensive oneworld / AA Explorer awards), please refer to:

AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) that explains concepts like "MPM" (Maximum Permitted Mileage) etc. allowed for your projected travels.

and, just for the record and in case you are interested in a more complex trip in the future,

NEW oneworld / AA Explorer awards using AA Miles (NOT for Partner Awards)

Originally Posted by anat0l
Hi all, not new to the awards game in general, but have never made a AA award in my life yet.

Thinking of a South Pacific (Brisbane) - Asia 2 (Singapore) award (one-way) in Business. I've read the FAQ and it says that routing will need to be "most direct routing".

How strict is this rule? QF have a direct option on BNE/SIN, but would a routing like BNE/MEL/SIN be allowable, or BNE/SYD/SIN (with SYD/SIN on BA CW)? I assume BNE/PER/SIN may be pushing it, and I would hardly dare to suggest BNE/MEL/PER/SIN, BNE/SYD/CBR/ADL/MEL/SIN or other silly gallivanting.... (It is possible to put these altogether without stopovers, so it's really a case of how much "freedom" is possible in routing, or is it really most direct only...)
Old Jul 6, 2013, 2:28 pm

Hey JDiver - thanks much

Thanks so much for the advice and I'm happy I found this forum.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 5:09 pm

Hi, I was wondering if there was any credit card where you can earn million miler miles. I know that for one year they had it, but I was wondering if they expanded the program. Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 7:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by ynk50
Hi, I was wondering if there was any credit card where you can earn million miler miles. I know that for one year they had it, but I was wondering if they expanded the program. Thanks.
You're correct, this was possible for a year, as described in:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp
"Also, as a limited time offer, one mile for every dollar spent on eligible purchases using the new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World Elite™ MasterCard® credit card*** that post to billing statements through December 2012 will count toward Million Miler status*."

Right now unfortunately no credit card will earn million miler miles for AA.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
24 hour cancelation?

I'm aware of the 24 hr hold and have used it many times.

Is there a 24 hour cancelation policy also in effect at AA?

I'm flying domestic, and within the next 2 days, and my 24 hr hold window is approaching in the next couple hrs.

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by raj_cl

I'm flying domestic, and within the next 2 days, and my 24 hr hold window is approaching in the next couple hrs.

Thanks!
No 24 hour cancellation policy exists on AA. In my experience, some of the "24 hour holds" are valid until 11:59 PM of whichever timezone your held flight is departing out of.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by raj_cl

Thanks!
Airlines only have to provide either a 24 hour hold or a 24 hour cancellation policy, not both. So, as you pointed out, AA offers 24 hour holds on flights using AA planes. 24 hour cancellations are not allowed without a fee.

The answer gets trickier with codeshare flights not on AA planes. Since AA doesn't allow holds on those flights, I think (someone please correct me) there are ways to cancel purchases within 24 hours without a fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.