Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by johnash
Since all this, when I go to view my reservation on the AA site there is no option to change seats. Is this because of the two different airlines involved? It would appear, however, than I can still change my seats on the AS site.
Are you trying to change your AA or AS seats on the AA site? If AS, then it's because one can usually only change seats for a given flight by logging on to the operating carrier's website (as you did to pick the AS seats in the first place). If AA, then I have no clue
Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by terpfan101
Is there any sort of website like the United fleet website that lists AA's fleet with registration numbers and the corresponding configuration? If not, can anyone give guidance on which 757 configuration flies the JFK-SXM route? I'm a bit apprehensive about flying planes delivered in 1989-early 90s.
AA doesn't fly JFK-SXM non-stop at the moment, so I think you're asking about the JFK-MIA leg. I usually check the seat maps on (http://www.aa.com/travelInformation/...duleAccess.do#). Those should give you an idea of the configuration. 22 or 24 seat premium cabins are recliners and 12 seat are angled lie-flat.

I hope this helps. I generally avoid the 757s, so perhaps others with more experience on these birds can correct me or answer any follow-up questions you might have.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As a pilot myself, I have no problem with the 757. It's a relatively new aircraft, as aircraft go - many of the older 'craft, 707s, DC-8s, DC-10s, etc. are still flying safely - though these days, as freighters, as they are pretty thirsty.

Depending on how the aircraft is maintained, age doesn't matter so much in terms of safety. I very recently flew on a 1932-built Stinson SM-6000B trimotor once used by AA, I've flown on a De Havilland DH-89 Dragon Rapide and a veritable fleet of C-47 / DC-3s, built in the 1940s.

Narrowbodies like the 757s are nearly taken apart, inspected with a variety of high tech equipment for incipient spar and frame cracks, etc. and rebuilt during "Heavy C" checks. Logs are scrupulously kept and must remain with the aircraft - I was on a 777 LAX-LHR that was forced to taxi back to the gate from LAX 25R threshold because the log had remained with the mechanics.

A brief explanation of American’s maintenance check procedures:

"PS" Daily Checks
Each aircraft is checked every 2-3 days in its "PS" (Periodic Service) check. The aircraft is visually inspected and its maintenance log book is checked for entries and maintenance needs. The "PS" check can be performed overnight or during downtime during the flight day. It averages approximately two man hours.

"A" Checks
The "A" check is more detailed than the "PS" check. "A" checks are performed every 7- 9 days (approximately 80 - 100 flight hours). The "A" check is performed at one of 40 stations around American’s system. It averages 10 - 20 man-hours.

"B" Checks
The "B" check is an even more thorough maintenance check. The "B" check is accomplished approximately every two months (roughly 500 - 600 flight hours). Besides specific service performed on
the aircraft, a detailed series of systems and operational checks are performed. American always
performs "B" checks inside one of its hangars at seven different cities around its system. A "B" check requires approximately 100 man-hours on narrowbody aircraft (those with only one aisle) and approximately 200 - 300 man-hours on widebody aircraft (those with two aisles).

"C" Checks
The "C" check is the most thorough type of maintenance work performed by American. The airframe - virtually the entire aircraft - goes through an exhaustive series of checks, inspections and overhaul work. It is performed at either of American’s heavy maintenance and engineering centers in Tulsa, Oklahoma Maintenance Facility. There are different levels of "C" checks depending on the type of aircraft.

Narrowbody "C" Checks
American does two types of "C" checks on its narrowbody planes. The first is a "Light C" check, which occurs approximately every 15 - 18 months. It requires approximately 2,100 man-hours and three days to accomplish. Every fourth "Light C" check becomes a "Heavy C" check. This check requires 20,000 - 30,000 man-hours and takes from three to five weeks to
accomplish.

Jet Engine Overhauls
Modern jet engines are among the most reliable devices in aviation. American does not replace and overhaul jet engines at a specific number of hours. Instead, American uses a 24-hour-a-day "condition monitoring" process that scientifically tracks the condition of every engine on every aircraft. Besides visual inspection, technicians monitor the internal condition of every engine, using such procedures as boroscope inspections and oil sample spectographs. The goal is to replace and overhaul an engine before a problem can occur. Engine overhauls are performed at the Tulsa Maintenance and Engineering facilities. The engine replacement is usually performed at one of the six "B" check hangar locations around the country

Am Eagle Embraer RJ stripped out for check

Another stripped out fuselage under heavy maintenance

AA just scrapped out its first 757, N641NA / cn 24599 to be sent to ROW Sep 1 2012 (and on to VCV Southern California Logistics Airport, where it was broken apart in April). This aircraft had 67,838 hours on the airframe, and 23,924 cycles (takeoffs and landings). It was still flyable, but AA tried to dispose of it in bankruptcy but was denied, and the owner / lessor sold it off rather than consider a C check fiscally sound - and there are plenty of 752s on the market, not to mention the Rolls Royce engines were probably worth over $1.5 million themselves. The RR RB211-535 engine is considered one of the most reliable engines built, and over 1,000 are in service.

SXM is showing the "domestic" version of the 757-223, though I have flown on the 75L to or from SJO or BGI. You can see the AA 757 fleet listings here.

Is there any sort of website like the United fleet website that lists AA's fleet with registration numbers and the corresponding configuration? If not, can anyone give guidance on which 757 configuration flies the JFK-SXM route? I'm a bit apprehensive about flying planes delivered in 1989-early 90s.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
SXM is showing the "domestic" version of the 757-223, though I have flown on the 75L to or from SJO or BGI. You can see the AA 757 fleet listings here.
Thanks for your extensive reply. Where did you see that SXM is showing the domestic version? Anyway to know which registrations are domestic? Would love to see a site like this for AA: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Are you trying to change your AA or AS seats on the AA site? If AS, then it's because one can usually only change seats for a given flight by logging on to the operating carrier's website (as you did to pick the AS seats in the first place). If AA, then I have no clue
It's my AA seats on aa.com. When I check my booking, there's no option to do so. I'll call them. Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Best thing to do is check the schedule online at aa.com, and look at first / business available seats for your desired flights / dates. As SFOPhD says above, "22 or 24 seat premium cabins are recliners and 12 seat are angled lie-flat."

Thanks for your extensive reply. Where did you see that SXM is showing the domestic version? Anyway to know which registrations are domestic? Would love to see a site like this for AA: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLA
Hi,

I am an AAdvantage Gold (900 miles short for Platinum but should get it anytime soon). I have just purchased a trip EZE-HAN-EZE through a local webpage (similar to kayak.com or expedia.com). After getting my reservation code I logged into aa.com in order to pick my seats. Big was my surprise when the system did not allow me to pick the preferred seats in coach for free, but wanted to charge me USD 75. My understanding was that AAdvantage Gold members got those for free (and that was my experience in the past). I emailed aa.com’s customer service but still waiting to hear from them. Any thoughts?
Best regards,

Alex
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:09 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ammassot
Hi,

I am an AAdvantage Gold (900 miles short for Platinum but should get it anytime soon). I have just purchased a trip EZE-HAN-EZE through a local webpage (similar to kayak.com or expedia.com). After getting my reservation code I logged into aa.com in order to pick my seats. Big was my surprise when the system did not allow me to pick the preferred seats in coach for free, but wanted to charge me USD 75. My understanding was that AAdvantage Gold members got those for free (and that was my experience in the past). I emailed aa.com’s customer service but still waiting to hear from them. Any thoughts?
Best regards,

Alex
Is your AAdvantage Number correctly listed on the reservation? You can add it via aa.com. If it's not listed correctly you will need to call AA to make teh change.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLA
Originally Posted by HNL
Is your AAdvantage Number correctly listed on the reservation? You can add it via aa.com. If it's not listed correctly you will need to call AA to make teh change.

Thank you so much HNL! I followed your suggestion and the problem is now solved!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
AA doesn't fly JFK-SXM non-stop at the moment, so I think you're asking about the JFK-MIA leg. I usually check the seat maps on (http://www.aa.com/travelInformation/...duleAccess.do#). Those should give you an idea of the configuration. 22 or 24 seat premium cabins are recliners and 12 seat are angled lie-flat.

I hope this helps. I generally avoid the 757s, so perhaps others with more experience on these birds can correct me or answer any follow-up questions you might have.
Originally Posted by JDiver
Best thing to do is check the schedule online at aa.com, and look at first / business available seats for your desired flights / dates. As SFOPhD says above, "22 or 24 seat premium cabins are recliners and 12 seat are angled lie-flat."
For the sake of accuracy, the 75L has 16 seats in J.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
ORD-LHR Arrival lounge

Flying ORD-LHR in F and then connecting to LY.
Does AA have a ounge that I can shower in without clearing passport control?

The LY lounge does not have a shower..
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:19 pm

I have no idea if this is the correct place to post this question, but I'm a newbie, so here goes:

In October I'm flying from HKG to PHL on AA with layovers in NRT and DFW. If I change my reservation to fly on JAL from HKG to NRT and then to ORD (and then to PHL on AA), can I have a few day stopover in Tokyo, or would this be an additional leg and therefore require additional miles? I can't fly directly to the U.S. on miles as there are no seats available. Since I have to go to Tokyo anyway, I would like to see the city for a few days if possible. Using AA miles. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by String33
I have no idea if this is the correct place to post this question, but I'm a newbie, so here goes:

In October I'm flying from HKG to PHL on AA with layovers in NRT and DFW. If I change my reservation to fly on JAL from HKG to NRT and then to ORD (and then to PHL on AA), can I have a few day stopover in Tokyo, or would this be an additional leg and therefore require additional miles? I can't fly directly to the U.S. on miles as there are no seats available. Since I have to go to Tokyo anyway, I would like to see the city for a few days if possible. Using AA miles. Thanks in advance!
AA's one-way awards only permit a stopover at the North American gateway on the itinerary. A stopover in Japan would require two separate awards: HKG-TYO, and TYO-PHL.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:27 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Houminer
Flying ORD-LHR in F and then connecting to LY.
Does AA have a ounge that I can shower in without clearing passport control?

The LY lounge does not have a shower..
AA operates and Arrivals Lounge outside passport control at LHR. You will not have access to the AA departure lounges which do have showers.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Buying Miles

Buying AA miles: 100k for 1850 $. Is this a good deal or not so much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.