Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
Welcome to flyertalk, HeyFritters.

Just to be clear, are you flying on a business award ticket to SJU?
We're using airmiles. That's all I know? We're not upgraded, we bought business class tickets with nothing but airmiles. And yeah, to SJU.

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
They shouldn't downgrade you to economy if you paid for business. If they do, you should get your miles back.
That's good to know, thanks. Is there an actual policy, do you think?

Originally Posted by swag
There are really only two cases where this should happen. One is if the aircraft type is changed, resulting in fewer business class seats. The other is if your flight is canceled, and you're offered re-accommodation on another flight with insufficient business seats. Both these situations are thankfully rare.

One thing you can do to minimize this already small risk is to check in online as soon as possible, if you can (24 hours before your first flight). In some cases, check in time may be used as a "tiebreak" to determine which customers get re-accommodated first.

The other thing to remember is that if you're offered a coach seat on the next flight out, you should still have the option to wait for a business class seat on a later flight. You need to ask when that would be, and then decide for yourself if the delay is worth it or not.

In any case, if downgraded from business to coach, the minimum compensation should be the return of the mileage paid for the upgrade (into your friend's account)

We'll try the 24 hour thing tomorrow. That's a good idea, thanks! And it's good to hear multiple people saying they shouldn't have robbed us of the miles.

And yeah, legally, 3 of the 4 flights were cancelled 0_o We got maybe 45 minutes in the nice area.

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 17, 2013 at 9:41 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts from same user - please use multi-quote function
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
I'm considering a AA GOLD status challenge but not sure if it makes sense for me.

I currently have 11,800 EQMs and 5,925 EQPs. If I fly 13,200 miles by the end of the year, I will earn gold.

If I do the AA challenge, pay $140, fly 10,000 miles on a cheap fare, I would earn 5000 points and get gold.

It appears that I should not do the challenge and just earn 13,200 by the end of the year?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It depends on how much value the benefits of Gold flyers offer you, including miles earning. Download the Gold Members Guide PDF here.

Originally Posted by poptarts
I'm considering a AA GOLD status challenge but not sure if it makes sense for me.

I currently have 11,800 EQMs and 5,925 EQPs. If I fly 13,200 miles by the end of the year, I will earn gold.

If I do the AA challenge, pay $140, fly 10,000 miles on a cheap fare, I would earn 5000 points and get gold.

It appears that I should not do the challenge and just earn 13,200 by the end of the year?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:48 pm

As I asked previously, what are "airmiles"? Are you using AAdvantage miles? I am asking to be sure I am not confused - easy enough for me to do.

If you used AAdvantage miles for Business seats to SJU, that's what you should get unless there are irregular operations, or as I said previously, you booked an aircraft that is single class (Economy) such as some American Eagle regional jets or a codeshare operated by another airline with single class of service, downgauges of aircraft, etc.

Some of us have been flying AA for over 50 years, so you can believe it's not Kosher to bait and switch business seats for coach - unless there are irregular operations. But irrops can mean you have to wait until the next flight with available seats in your fare bucket or award, and if they are full for some time and you want to get there you might get coach - but I'd certainly negotiate getting some miles back one way or another (see the Compensation thread).

Originally Posted by HeyFritters
We're using airmiles. That's all I know? We're not upgraded, we bought business class tickets with nothing but airmiles. And yeah, to SJU.

That's good to know, thanks. Is there an actual policy, do you think?

We'll try the 24 hour thing tomorrow. That's a good idea, thanks! And it's good to hear multiple people saying they shouldn't have robbed us of the miles.

And yeah, legally, 3 of the 4 flights were cancelled 0_o We got maybe 45 minutes in the nice area.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:41 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by JDiver
As I asked previously, what are "airmiles"? Are you using AAdvantage miles? I am asking to be sure I am not confused - easy enough for me to do.

If you used AAdvantage miles for Business seats to SJU, that's what you should get unless there are irregular operations, or as I said previously, you booked an aircraft that is single class (Economy) such as some American Eagle regional jets or a codeshare operated by another airline with single class of service, downgauges of aircraft, etc.

Some of us have been flying AA for over 50 years, so you can believe it's not Kosher to bait and switch business seats for coach - unless there are irregular operations. But irrops can mean you have to wait until the next flight with available seats in your fare bucket or award, and if they are full for some time and you want to get there you might get coach - but I'd certainly negotiate getting some miles back one way or another (see the Compensation thread).

Thank you very much. We will be much more proactive tomorrow evening.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Perhaps a stupid question about lounge access. I haven't flown first yet on AA, but whenever I fly BA or Delta as long as I have a first or business ticket I can go into the lounge. Is that the case on AA? Their wording is very confusing. I purchased a first class ticket off of the AA website, is that enough to use the lounge?

Thanks for any guidance.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Pinned
I haven't flown first yet on AA, but whenever I fly BA or Delta as long as I have a first or business ticket I can go into the lounge. Is that the case on AA?
Depends where you're flying and sometimes what kind of aircraft. Some examples:

If you're flying first class from JFK to London you'd have Flagship Lounge access. Same with London-JFK.

If you're flying first class from SFO to DFW without an international connection, nothing.

If you're flying SFO-JFK on a three class plane, Admiral's Club access (any three class transcon), but on a two class plane, no. On the return with a three class plane you'd have Flagship Lounge access.

If you're flying SFO-DFW as the first segment of an international first class itinerary to South America, you'd have Admiral's Club access at both SFO and DFW.

So, it all depends where and how you intend to fly first class.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Depends where you're flying and sometimes what kind of aircraft. Some examples:

If you're flying first class from JFK to London you'd have Flagship Lounge access. Same with London-JFK.

If you're flying first class from SFO to DFW without an international connection, nothing.

If you're flying SFO-JFK on a three class plane, Admiral's Club access (any three class transcon), but on a two class plane, no. On the return with a three class plane you'd have Flagship Lounge access.

If you're flying SFO-DFW as the first segment of an international first class itinerary to South America, you'd have Admiral's Club access at both SFO and DFW.

So, it all depends where and how you intend to fly first class.
I'm going LAX-BOS non stop, likely on a 737. That's a two class plane, but I had no choice of plane...would that really not permit me to access the admirals club or flagship lounges?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:12 pm

Let me correct something. You do get Admiral's Club access on two class transcons but only on three specific routes (SFO-JFK, LAX-JFK, MIA-LAX). Forgot about those. Link from 2012:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

The AA wiki seems to contradict that, though, so I don't know which is currently correct:
1 For the purpose of determining lounge access, AA defines transcontinental as non-stop flights between BOS-LAX, BOS-SFO, MIA-LAX, MIA-SFO, JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO, JFK-SAN, JFK-SEA, EWR-LAX, and IAD-LAX. These access privileges were added in the summer of 2007.
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Lounges_%28AA%29

They both can't be right so I'll let someone that's more up to date than me make the call. I've always had a membership so not entirely familiar with access based on class of service and don't want to mislead you, which I fear I already might have done.

Last edited by tom911; Jun 18, 2013 at 11:39 pm
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:23 pm

Let me correct something. You do get Admiral's Club access on two class transcons but only on three specific routes (SFO-JFK, LAX-JFK, MIA-LAX). Forgot about those. Link:

Your 737 route to BOS is not included in the exceptions list. That's from the AA website in September. If there have been any changes, hopefully someone will be along to post about them. SFO-MIA, another transcon, is also a route that's not listed in the exceptions.
That is unbelievably cheap of AA to do... I don't think I've ever flown first/business on any other airline and not been able to access a lounge (though I don't fly domestically on first often), always assumed that perk to be included with the ticket prices.

Let me correct something. You do get Admiral's Club access on two class transcons but only on three specific routes (SFO-JFK, LAX-JFK, MIA-LAX). Forgot about those. Link from 2012:

The AA wiki seems to contradict that, though, so I don't know which is currently correct:

They both can't be right so I'll let someone that's more up to date than me make the call. I've always had a membership so not entirely familiar with access based on class of service and don't want to mislead you, which I fear I already might have done.
I appreciate your help, don't even worry about misleading me! I don't think you have at all, I think the wording and rules are just very unclear. I'll give them a call in the morning and see what the deal is and update here.

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 19, 2013 at 6:49 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same user
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:34 am

Class of service based lounge access is indeed granted to anyone flying in a premium cabin on these three routes (and reverse): JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO, MIA-LAX. All other domestic routes do not qualify. First class in 3-class gets you FL access. First class (two-class) or business class (three-class) gets you AC access. Relevant page here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

The wiki is outdated.

For lounge access rules in general see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ess-rules.html

Pinned: Unfortunately, your LAX-BOS segment does not qualify you for any sort of AC or FL access. If you flew LAX-JFK-BOS or LAX-MIA-BOS, then you would get lounge access (if you were in J or F).

Edit: However, you will get the other aspects of the transcon soft product.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/galaxyTab.jsp
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-ife-food.html

Last edited by Apieinthesky; Jun 19, 2013 at 12:50 am
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
The wiki is outdated.
Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Hi everyone,

As this is my first post, I must thank everyone for all the great information that is found on this website and in these forums.

I have two questions that are related to the Citi/AAdvantage card. I'm hoping this is the right place, though I realize the questions may only be tangentially related. If this is the wrong place, please move me or point me in the right direction.

When signing up for the Citi card, I followed the 40,000 miles link in this forum. I was recently accepted and I got a piece of mail with all the basic information about the card (the card is coming...in a separate piece of mail), but I have yet to receive anything outlining the $3,000/4 months/40,000 miles offer. Did I somehow miss signing up for that specific offer, or am I being impatient? Unfortunately, I can't sign up for a Citi online account until the card comes, so I'm currently in limbo.

Secondly, has anyone done the math on what kind of spending needs to be done so that the miles one is receiving outweighs the yearly cost of the card? Is it as simple as saying each mile is worth a penny and then figuring it out from there?

Thirdly, and this question makes me happy this is a flame-resistant thread: Do most people keep their cards once they've received their miles from that first offer? I guess this partly goes with question 2, and an individual's mileage (ha) may vary.

Thank you everyone.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:12 am

pwmboslax, welcome to FlyerTalk.

Interesting questions, and yes, this is the place for a "newbie" (no derog intended) to ask away. And if you use Advanced Search (it may seem intimidating, but it's just one more thing we can easily get used to by using it, and there's help here), you can search thread titles, results as threads, using the keyword <citi> - search doesn't care about case, like e-mail addresses, and come up with a bunch of relevant threads.

You'll find out the pros and cons of specific AA-related cards, how others have forced an offer, thosw who churn and those who don't plus their reasons (more miles, FICO score, Admirals Club membership plus no forex fee, etc.)

If you followed the 40k offer link, it probably is correct - and the card might arrive with the full details, and a number you can call to verify.

Other threads discuss the virtual value of a mile - many use between 1 and 3 cents per mile - and ways to maximize the value (upgrades, use of miles for very expensive flights, use for car rentals or hotels, etc.)

The FAQ "sticky" can also be a helpful tool - it has links to relevant threads and off-site resources. There's a lot of information - and the FAQ and Wiki plus Advanced Search can be the keys to processing it more efficiently.

I hope your stay on FlyerTalk will be as rewarding and enjoyable as mine has been.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United
Immediate upgrade when reaching status?

I'll be reaching gold elite status in a few weeks based on weekly travel. On UA when I reached status I was immediately upgraded on my next flight per an unofficial/official policy (so I've heard). Should I expect a similar "reward" from AA when I reach gold? If I have stickers and request an upgrade, should I expect to get one when I reach gold regardless of my place on the list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.