Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Chances of upgrade clearing, upgrade availability discussion (consolidated - 2013 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chances of upgrade clearing, upgrade availability discussion (consolidated - 2013 on)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
He claims they were selling it as a three class service flight but that doesn't seem right to me, especially as EF only shows F, A and P availability and no J, C, D, I etc.
It should be only a 2 class. The usual J is Y reserved for elites or those who pay up. J seats, Y service.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
AA2453 on 12/11

DFW-LAX this Saturday. Title is wrong...should say 12/14. Reservation and upgrade request using stickers was made 30 days ago as a Gold. Made platinum 2 weeks ago. First time waiting for upgrade as a platinum and I am wondering if it is common to be upgraded at the 72 hour mark. 72 hours was at 2pm today and no news yet. 10 seats available if I try to buy a 1st class ticket but I realize other factors play into sticker upgrades. My real question is what others have experienced regarding the 72 hour upgrade window for platinum's? Should I never expect an email at 72 hours? 48? No pattern? Thanks.

Last edited by houstr8male; Dec 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm Reason: date correction
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Call and update your status

Originally Posted by houstr8male
DFW-LAX this Saturday. Title is wrong...should say 12/14. Reservation and upgrade request using stickers was made 30 days ago as a Gold. Made platinum 2 weeks ago. First time waiting for upgrade as a platinum and I am wondering if it is common to be upgraded at the 72 hour mark. 72 hours was at 2pm today and no news yet. 10 seats available if I try to buy a 1st class ticket but I realize other factors play into sticker upgrades. My real question is what others have experienced regarding the 72 hour upgrade window for platinum's? Should I never expect an email at 72 hours? 48? No pattern? Thanks.
You may have done this already, but just in case, remember to call AA and update your PNR with you platinum status. This does not happen automatically.

Even then, I'm sure you realize that your upgrade may not clear at 72 hours, and may not clear at all.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
The cabin usually has to be pretty darned empty for a Plat to clear at 72 hours. Given the fact that you're flying a hub to hub flight, I would not generally expect to get upgraded right when the window opens.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Thanks for the responses... As always I will wait and see. I was expecting something different as a plat but I will see how it goes.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
If both my wife and I are on the same record locator, and both EXP, will the system automatically know that my wife is an exp and not deduct stickers for upgrades?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Thanks for the responses... As always I will wait and see. I was expecting something different as a plat but I will see how it goes.
It'll be different from gold; your chances will generally be much better. Heck, EXPs don't even usually get upgraded right when the window opens on a hub to hub flight.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by lagunas2k
If both my wife and I are on the same record locator, and both EXP, will the system automatically know that my wife is an exp and not deduct stickers for upgrades?
It should. When you call up the reservation on AA.com how many stickers does it show for each segment?

Also, unless you absolutely have to sit in the same cabin you should split the record. Otherwise, If you two are at the top of the list and they release just one seat you will get skipped.

BTW your profile shows you as Plat.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Stripe
It should. When you call up the reservation on AA.com how many stickers does it show for each segment?

Also, unless you absolutely have to sit in the same cabin you should split the record. Otherwise, If you two are at the top of the list and they release just one seat you will get skipped.

BTW your profile shows you as Plat.
Thanks. Technically I'm somewhere in between plat and explat....

Still waiting along with many others for my status to change. I'm just trying to figure out for the next round of flights. I just got an upgrade to clear while I'm plat, but will be calling in because Advantage CS told me they "wrote in" on the record locator that I'm actually EXP.

I truly hope they clear all these issues up soon.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Lost an upgrade to a pilot originally sitting in a jump seat

AA

First on upgrade list with F full. Right before departure a passenger left the plane. Instead of calling me up, they gave it to a transiting pilot.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
...and,

On another flight charged 2 upgrade stickers for an upgrade as EXP.

AA
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Spyder

AA

First on upgrade list with F full. Right before departure a passenger left the plane. Instead of calling me up, they gave it to a transiting pilot.
A note to customer relations is in order. There are some circumstances where employees get positive F space when traveling but this doesn't sound like one of them, if he was originally in a jump seat.

...and,

AA
This should be easily fixed with a call or note to AAdvantage CS. Were you traveling with a companion or had you recently switched from Plat to EXP?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
Quote:

AA

A note to customer relations is in order. There are some circumstances where employees get positive F space when traveling but this doesn't sound like one of them, if he was originally in a jump seat.

Quote:

...and,

AA

This should be easily fixed with a call or note to AAdvantage CS. Were you traveling with a companion or had you recently switched from Plat to EXP?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Any thoughts on AA 70 (DFW to FRA) on Thu 12/19 from Y to J? Would like to use a SWU to upgrade my cousin (no status). Flight is currently F6 | A5 | J7 | Y4. Have not requested the UG yet, which may hurt.

Don't have any experience with SWU use on this route. Thanks

Last edited by Antarius; Dec 13, 2013 at 10:22 am
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by Antarius
Any thoughts on AA 70 (DFW to FRA) on Thu 12/19 from Y to J? Would like to use a SWU to upgrade my cousin (no status). Flight is currently F6 | A5 | J7 | Y4. Have not requested the UG yet, which may hurt.

Don't have any experience with SWU use on this route. Thanks
Well, certainly no risk to do so. If he doesn't clear, you won't be charged. Might as well go ahead and request it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.