Adios AA

Old Feb 7, 13, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP
Thumbs down Adios AA

I now have the same feeling I would if I had sold stock just before a huge drop I had a hunch would happen. I normally fly my 100K miles in Jan/Feb to requalify for EXP. That way, it lasts for almost 2 years and the fares are also cheaper those months. This time, anticipating the dreaded merger with US, I opted not to. It paid off as it appears the merger will actually happen. Personally, having experience with US, being an elite with the "new" American Airlines will be like having elite status with Motel 6 or Big Lots. No thank you. It's been nice while it lasted and I'll have a million FF miles of free flying to look forward to. The only upside is that when the new common stock is issued and might rise a bit, it will be a great short sale candidate if US's history is any indication. US will do the same to AA as it did to Piedmont. Another analogy is what GM did to SAAB. Too bad.
Old Feb 7, 13, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

Assuming you're around NYC, 1 less EXP to compete with for upgrades out of JFK/LGA.
Old Feb 7, 13, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SafeFlyer View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B143 Safari/8536.25)

Assuming you're around NYC, 1 less EXP to compete with for upgrades out of JFK/LGA.
I'm not near NYC but enjoy your upgrades on the "new" AA. They won't be worth much.....you'll see.
Old Feb 7, 13, 6:48 am

Programs: AA, EXP. DL, DM 1MM. HHonors, Diamond. Hertz, PC. National, EE.
Originally Posted by metsfan1962 View Post
US will do the same to AA as it did to Piedmont. Another analogy is what GM did to SAAB. Too bad.
That would be horrible!
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA

All jokes aside, I will continue to fly AA until there is a better alternative for me. I fly a lot of international trips and the SWU policy is by far the most generous. If Sky Miles was equal to AAdvantage, I would have left years ago. If/when AAdvantage degrades to the point where there is a better program for me and my family I'll not only reconsider, but switch.

Safe Travels
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:20 am

Programs: UA,AA,SPG
I'm leaving Delta because it won't be the same as NorthWest
I'm leaving United because it won't be like the old United
I'm leaving AA because it won't be the same as the old AA
So go take Greyhound or Amtrak.
Next....
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 7Continents View Post
I'm leaving Delta because it won't be the same as NorthWest
I'm leaving United because it won't be like the old United
I'm leaving AA because it won't be the same as the old AA
So go take Greyhound or Amtrak.
Next....
Not the same. Delta used to be good, but by the time they merged with NW, they were about equal. United always stunk. US has always stunk (they even managed to spread their stink to Piedmont) and AA, while no Cathay Pacific, was/is significantly better than "Useless Airways". Since US management (old America West) will apparently run the new airline (unless what I've been reading is totally wrong), the new AA has to go downhill. I used to fly US a lot when my spouse worked for them. Believe me, from both an employee and customer standpoint, THEY STINK.
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
I could swear that you've "left" AA before...but maybe I'm misremembering

Well, wherever you end up, good luck.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt GP Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer View Post

All jokes aside, I will continue to fly AA until there is a better alternative for me. I fly a lot of international trips and the SWU policy is by far the most generous. If Sky Miles was equal to AAdvantage, I would have left years ago. If/when AAdvantage degrades to the point where there is a better program for me and my family I'll not only reconsider, but switch.

Safe Travels
Same with me. If someone gives me a better alternative, I would also switch. I am based out ORD. If United was better, I would have gone over a long time ago.
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp View Post
I could swear that you've "left" AA before...but maybe I'm misremembering

Well, wherever you end up, good luck.

Cheers.
Thank you. As a paying customer, I have left. Last paid flight was 2 years ago, award flights since then. I was planning on requalifying for EXP last month and this month. I even had a few itineraries to SIN on hold, but didn't pull the plug for fear of the merger with US. For the sake of all you AA loyalists who will remain loyal to the "new" AA, I hope I'm wrong. But with US management reportedly set to run things (with possible exception of CEO),
I have NO reason for optimism.
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by metsfan1962 View Post
Not the same. Delta used to be good, but by the time they merged with NW, they were about equal. United always stunk. US has always stunk (they even managed to spread their stink to Piedmont) and AA, while no Cathay Pacific, was/is significantly better than "Useless Airways". Since US management (old America West) will apparently run the new airline (unless what I've been reading is totally wrong), the new AA has to go downhill. I used to fly US a lot when my spouse worked for them. Believe me, from both an employee and customer standpoint, THEY STINK.
So you don't like DL, nor UA, nor the new AA/US. So I guess that leaves you with Southwest! Good luck on the upgrades!
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by SafeFlyer:20202263

Apparently you haven't had to worry about that for two years...
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
yea.. that's the big dilemma. If not AA then whats the next best alternative?

By far the biggest thing that holds me is the SWU's. Assuming they go away whats the next best FF program based out of NYC? Will have to do my research but it might have to be Delta with their SkyPesos :/
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CVCONDE View Post
So you don't like DL, nor UA, nor the new AA/US. So I guess that leaves you with Southwest! Good luck on the upgrades!
Actually, I'll probably be out of the FF junkie business altogether. It was nice while it lasted. When I first started with this addiction, I was with DL. I quickly discovered that I couldn't get upgrades to FC there because that was restricted to higher coach fares. Then EUREKA, I discovered AA. It's been a great ride but all good things eventually come to an end. Unfortunately, I do have experience with US and I'm pretty damned sure how this is all going to turn out. At least I have tons of AA miles to burn.
Old Feb 7, 13, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Adios metsfan1962!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: