AA Northeast travel alerts for this weekend (Feb. 8-10)

Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Northeast U.S. Travel Policy
Due to weather, American Airlines offers customers the convenience to change their plans. Customers ticketed to travel on AA flights to, through or from the airports listed may change flights as shown below.

If you are traveling to, through or from
Boston, MA (BOS)
Buffalo, NY (BUF)
Hartford, CT (BDL)
New York Kennedy, NY (JFK)
New York LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
Newark, NJ (EWR)
Rochester, NY (ROC)
Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Westchester County / White Plains, NY (HPN)
On the following dates: February 8 - 9, 2013
And your ticket was issued no later than: February 6, 2013
You may travel: February 7 - 12, 2013
Original inventory required? Yes

The ticket reissue charge will be waived for one ticket change.

To change travel dates, contact our Reservations personnel at 1-800-433-7300 within the United States or Canada. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, please check our Worldwide Reservations Numbers page.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Feb 6, 2013 at 3:55 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
This may be a stupid question but what exactly does "Original Inventory" mean? If I am EXP planning on flying say JFK-MIA on Friday on an award ticket - will they require award inventory to switch to another flight? Will they let me switch to EWR-MIA?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by troyb
This may be a stupid question but what exactly does "Original Inventory" mean?
It means exactly what it says. Under the current policy (which says "Yes" in response to the "Original Inventory" question), if your original booking class was Q, then Q must be available on the alternate flight, or else you will owe fare difference (but no change fee).

If I am EXP planning on flying say JFK-MIA on Friday on an award ticket - will they require award inventory to switch to another flight?
Yes. Unless the policy is updated to "No" in response to the "Original Inventory" question. Or, unless AA decides to open up award inventory on your desired new flight (unlikely, given that WX issues tend to restrict inventory, not free it up).

Will they let me switch to EWR-MIA?
Maybe. Co-terminal is determined by your detailed fare rules, which you should have reviewed carefully prior to purchasing your ticket. Generally speaking, domestic award tickets allow co-terminal in certain metropolitan areas like NYC, WAS, CHI, but again, you would need to check (or have an agent check) your detailed fare rules.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, you need the fare code you booked in. My flight this weekend is in O and I can't find anything, may have to cancel and eat the $150 rather than lose the whole ticket.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yes, you need the fare code you booked in. My flight this weekend is in O and I can't find anything, may have to cancel and eat the $150 rather than lose the whole ticket.
You can still fly as scheduled. Or wait for them to cancel the flight, in which case you'll be due a full refund. Don't be hasty.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Honestly just try calling the EXP desk, chances are they will let you switch to the flights you want or send you a refund via travel voucher for the full ticket value. Sure it's a hassle to redeem but for many here its nearly as liquid as a cash refund.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Honestly just try calling the EXP desk, chances are they will let you switch to the flights you want or send you a refund via travel voucher for the full ticket value. Sure it's a hassle to redeem but for many here its nearly as liquid as a cash refund.
You know me, a voucher for value is basically cash for me . They'd probably be happy to make me pay a little more for a mileage run (had a good one this weekend, but I'd really rather not take a seat from someone who has to actually go somewhere, just so I can fly back and forth for miles).
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36
It means exactly what it says. Under the current policy (which says "Yes" in response to the "Original Inventory" question), if your original booking class was Q, then Q must be available on the alternate flight, or else you will owe fare difference (but no change fee).

Yes. Unless the policy is updated to "No" in response to the "Original Inventory" question. Or, unless AA decides to open up award inventory on your desired new flight (unlikely, given that WX issues tend to restrict inventory, not free it up).

Maybe. Co-terminal is determined by your detailed fare rules, which you should have reviewed carefully prior to purchasing your ticket. Generally speaking, domestic award tickets allow co-terminal in certain metropolitan areas like NYC, WAS, CHI, but again, you would need to check (or have an agent check) your detailed fare rules.
I called the EXP desk and they had no problem making the change instantly. There was no T space (either the normal type or supposed expanded EXP availability), but it did not matter.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by troyb
I called the EXP desk and they had no problem making the change instantly. There was no T space (either the normal type or supposed expanded EXP availability), but it did not matter.
I think this is a case where the status pays off. I'm guessing non-elites would be stuck with inventory. As noted, since I'm mileage running, I don't want to take a seat in case someone actually needs it. I'd much rather take a voucher or (even better in my particular circumstance) just get the EQM/RDM credit for my flights, not fly them since they will be canceled, and let AA keep my money.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Ummm -- no refunds yet, and no useful inventory at ALL for rescheduling a BOS-SEA trip on Friday 2/8. Everything out of Boston in the morning is now booked (no seats until about Noon, which is when the storm hits). So Friday is realistically out.

Leaving Saturday will make a potential weekend vaca a half-day affair...oops!

I called and asked about cancelling for refund -- was told not until the Friday flight actually cancels (about 99% chance it will). YMMV and I will call again later. I'm EXP, so was a little surprised no more latitude.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have the Saturday morning BOS-LAX. Considering the inbound plane would have to fly in during a blizzard, and my flight would have to depart during one, I'll be waiting for the actual cancellation and just take my refund then.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Does AA typically cancel flights in a storm like this? On AA 22 lax-jfk arriving at 11:20pm on Fri night.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:25 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
I am flying LAX-JFK-SJU Fri night / Sat morning. I can't imagine that I will make my 45 minute connection at JFK, and I don't want to re-route since I am sitting in F on a 3-class flight to JFK using an eVIP.

I really don't fancy the idea of spending all day stuck at JFK, so at this point, I would much prefer just to get a refund.

How long of a delay (as opposed to a cancellation) allows for full refund? Would an involuntary re-route, say through MIA, allow a refund?

Is there any chance of having my re-instated eVIP extended beyond 2/28?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I was turned down by the EXP desk early this morning because of original inventory. Based upon remarks here I called back. Suppose to get a call back in 16-24 minutes, see how it goes.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The EXP desk changed my flight to the JFK/TPA flight tonight. Looks like I will be stuck in Y but at least MCE. Now my mind is running about 100 miles an hour on what I need to do to leave tonight. The good part is that Tampa is going to warm and sunny this weekend, one more day on the beach.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.