FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Combining evoucher and paper voucher? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1435147-combining-evoucher-paper-voucher.html)

Supercub17 Feb 4, 2013 11:06 am

Combining evoucher and paper voucher?

Anyone had success (or tried) to purchase a fare using both paper and evoucher? Even at airport, was told by TA that they could not access the evoucher information. Exec Platinum desk, which could access evoucher, said could only use credit card as other form of payment. Anyone come across this previously?

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Feb 4, 2013 11:34 am

Yes. My experiences were exactly as yours. I wasn't able to combine using the two types at the airport or with the EXP desk.

Supercub17 Feb 4, 2013 11:54 am

So, we received good information on a bad process. No idea why they restrict usage of their own forms of payment?

flyinghome Feb 4, 2013 12:02 pm

If you have time I have sent in paper vouchers and asked for them to be converted to evouchers. It is also a good way to extend beyond to original expiration date.

Supercub17 Feb 4, 2013 1:02 pm

really? No idea that was an option. do you know if it works for all types of paper vouchers? Thanks.

Xero Feb 4, 2013 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyinghome (Post 20183959)
If you have time I have sent in paper vouchers and asked for them to be converted to evouchers. It is also a good way to extend beyond to original expiration date.

It does take a few weeks for the process to happen, though. Also, you lose any tax exemptions that the paper vouchers offer.

Supercub17 Feb 4, 2013 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 20184509)
It does take a few weeks for the process to happen, though. Also, you lose any tax exemptions that the paper vouchers offer.

Interesting. I've been losing the tax exemptions anyway, it seems, as most of the ticket agents don't know how to exclude the necessary taxes when using DB vouchers. Have tried unsuccessfully twice in the past month to explain that to ticketing agent. Even EXP line didn't know what I was talking about and couldn't help them.

Xero Feb 4, 2013 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Supercub17 (Post 20184662)
Interesting. I've been losing the tax exemptions anyway, it seems, as most of the ticket agents don't know how to exclude the necessary taxes when using DB vouchers. Have tried unsuccessfully twice in the past month to explain that to ticketing agent. Even EXP line didn't know what I was talking about and couldn't help them.

From the FlyerGuide wiki:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Vouchers_(AA)

AA tells me the taxes still apply. Now what?
Ask the AA reservations agent to call the tariff desk and have the ticket repriced to reflect the use of a tax exempt voucher. This specific wording may help the AA agent understand what you want.
Yes, the EXP agents are clueless about this. It usually takes 20 minutes of being on hold for them to do it, but that comes out to $1 a minute in savings. It's worth it. When you mail a voucher in, the people there know what to do and taxes are appropriately removed.

hillrider Feb 4, 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Supercub17 (Post 20184662)

Contact www.aa.com/customerrelations and ask for a refund.

Supercub17 Feb 4, 2013 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Xero (Post 20185364)
From the FlyerGuide wiki:

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Vouchers_(AA)

Yes, the EXP agents are clueless about this. It usually takes 20 minutes of being on hold for them to do it, but that comes out to $1 a minute in savings. It's worth it. When you mail a voucher in, the people there know what to do and taxes are appropriately removed.

Very helpful. Appreciate the info.

Panamajon513 Feb 5, 2013 7:38 pm

I cashed in a voucher at the MIA airport this afternoon. Took a half hour for a straightforward ticket that I already put on hold via the website. Hard to believe that it's 2013 and you still need to jump through all these hoops rather than have the ability to book online using the voucher number.

Also, the woman tried to charge me a $35 per ticket ticketing fee. I put the kibosh on that but needed a manager to come out and give me a courtesy waiver. What's up with that?!

JY1024 Feb 5, 2013 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Supercub17 (Post 20183591)
Anyone had success (or tried) to purchase a fare using both paper and evoucher? Even at airport, was told by TA that they could not access the evoucher information. Exec Platinum desk, which could access evoucher, said could only use credit card as other form of payment. Anyone come across this previously?

I've called AA about this within the last few months... I posted a response to a question within the Newbie thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19976766-post6288.html

Originally Posted by JY1024 (Post 19976766)
Are you using an eVoucher or paper voucher? If you're using eVoucher, you can definitely use a combination of eVouchers and gift cards - up to 8 total - on one PNR.

As for paper vouchers, I had a hunch, but wasn't sure, so I called EXP. The EXP AAgent confirmed my initial suspicion that paper vouchers CANNOT be used with gift cards/eVouchers on the same ticket. They can do paper vouchers with credit card, credit card with eVoucher/gift cards, but NOT paper vouchers and gift cards/eVouchers. I even asked if a ticket AAgent at the airport would be able to make it work; apparently, TA's can't do it either. :(

(Sigh...AA's archaic IT system can be frustrating; even the EXP AAgent was sympathetic. I'm sure the systems are frustrating for everyone involved - employees, vendors, passengers, cargo customers, etc.)

I agree with you...both are AA currency, so one would expect that you could use both in one transaction; however, AA's systems can't handle that level of complexity.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Feb 6, 2013 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Panamajon513 (Post 20192903)
I cashed in a voucher at the MIA airport this afternoon. Took a half hour for a straightforward ticket that I already put on hold via the website. Hard to believe that it's 2013 and you still need to jump through all these hoops rather than have the ability to book online using the voucher number.

Also, the woman tried to charge me a $35 per ticket ticketing fee. I put the kibosh on that but needed a manager to come out and give me a courtesy waiver. What's up with that?!

Yeah. I've purchased several at LAX with vouchers, and it always seems like they're typing a manifesto just to book my ticket on hold.

Supercub17 Feb 6, 2013 10:12 am

Originally Posted by JY1024 (Post 20193007)
I've called AA about this within the last few months... I posted a response to a question within the Newbie thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19976766-post6288.html

I agree with you...both are AA currency, so one would expect that you could use both in one transaction; however, AA's systems can't handle that level of complexity.

Thanks for the thread reference. I did search initially before asking a repeat question but wasn't seeing my exact issue.

RogerD408 Feb 6, 2013 11:31 am

Milton is the only place that consistently knows how to handle DV vouchers. Back in the days of DEQM & TEQM promos we got several vouchers for missed flights. When trying to redeem at the airports we asked a dozen agents to process them. Only three accepted the challenge stating they know how to do it. NONE of them knew how to do it right and did not back off the taxes. One (at SFO ticket counter) used a previous ticket to follow the process and worked it out. One (at ORD AC) took the time to call the tariff desk to find out what needed to be done. We focused all future activity through those two people, even taking vouchers with us on MRs when future tickets needed to be processed.

What's really funny is when using eVouchers for VDB situations, they price with tax and then refund the tax back to the eVoucher. This makes an eVoucher live forever! A friend had several for $0.02 and finally burned them up. Not much of a tax refund on a $0.02 eVoucher. :)