Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Free / trial / instant / shortcut to AAdvantage Elite status (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free / trial / instant / shortcut to AAdvantage Elite status (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by eshkr
HVEEA. Worked for me and got an email confirming my Registration. My friend did the same, but only the Platinum code got accepted for him. I am already Platinum until Feb 13, so would be interesting to see if my status changes.
Were you targeted for the EXP offer? How many sticker upgrades does it come with?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I'm already Plt (through Feb-14). I tried the Plt and the Exp codes. Got confirmations on both. No status updates in my profile or extra stickers.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by coremill
http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/01/31/n...m-offer-hvppa/

A friend of mine just got this email. Free plat for three months, only 12k EQM (not points as is usual for challenges) to requalify, and 20 free 500 mile upgrades? That's giving away the store.
It is really getting pathetic and embarrassing now. Why even bother with status tiers if everyone has status given to them?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
It is really getting pathetic and embarrassing now. Why even bother with status tiers if everyone has status given to them?
I know another person who is not even gold (much less than 25k miles in 2012) who got the plat status offer. What is clear to me is the following:

1) This is all about high revenue ticket buyers (my rule of thumb is 3x or more than lowest r/t fare on a given route)
2) You see, these folks who get the higher status doesn't really matter much to the airline. If they get the status and fly a whole lot more, good for AA. If they get the status and don't fly much more, not much hurt to AA.

Of course, in any given day, one is competing for upgrades (especially with the free coupons) with those who just have them without much earn effort required.

I guess one could recommend a formula for flying a lot less and getting one of these offers. The problem as we all know is, you would definitely need to take a risk (no assurance the offer would also be made), and frankly, I think most folks would save in number of flights, but maybe not so much in cost of travel.

Oh well.

Rasheed
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:25 pm

At the current rate, AA is dismantling the AAdvantage program at a pace that would make UA envious. The old tiers have effectively been shredded between last year's DEQM and TEQM promos and the massive match program. Now they are shredding the tiers completely by offering status to anyone who flew even minimal miles on AA only because that ticket was in a high fare bucket.

But just like with the EXP match, the problem isn't the match that's the problem, it is the ludicrously low requalification effort and outsized perks that come with it. 12k EQMs in 90 daysfor Plat to get 20 e500s? Are you shitting me? Even the old challenge required 10k EQP, which for me meant 20k EQMs.

Either AA truly has the ability to correctly predict that these folks they target will fly the required miles in the highest buckets (highly doubtful), or they are about to flood the ranks with tons of new Golds and Plats.

One has to wonder if AA is beginning to really lose the plot...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:30 pm

Either AA truly has the ability to correctly predict that these folks they target will fly the required miles in the highest buckets (highly doubtful), or they are about to flood the ranks with tons of new Golds and Plats.
I would like to point out again, as has been pointed out many many times, there are few consequences to giving away status to people who have flown a small number of high value flights with an airline. Either they take advantage of the offer, and they start booking a large number of flights on the airline, or they don't, and then it doesn't matter if they have status or not.

This is simply another aspect of Elite monitization--but rather than telling the cheaper fliers AA doesn't want their business, they are bending over backwards for the high value fliers.

Between AA's and Delta's strategies, I think AA's is better for everyone.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
At the current rate, AA is dismantling the AAdvantage program at a pace that would make UA envious. The old tiers have effectively been shredded between last year's DEQM and TEQM promos and the massive match program. Now they are shredding the tiers completely by offering status to anyone who flew even minimal miles on AA only because that ticket was in a high fare bucket.

But just like with the EXP match, the problem isn't the match that's the problem, it is the ludicrously low requalification effort and outsized perks that come with it. 12k EQMs in 90 daysfor Plat to get 20 e500s? Are you shitting me? Even the old challenge required 10k EQP, which for me meant 20k EQMs.

One has to wonder if AA is beginning to really lose the plot...
That about sums up my feeling. I was an idiot to have my wife push to get Gold last year.

Originally Posted by Bttc
I would like to point out again, as has been pointed out many many times, there are few consequences to giving away status to people who have flown a small number of high value flights with an airline. Either they take advantage of the offer, and they start booking a large number of flights on the airline, or they don't, and then it doesn't matter if they have status or not.

This is simply another aspect of Elite monitization--but rather than telling the cheaper fliers AA doesn't want their business, they are bending over backwards for the high value fliers.

Between AA's and Delta's strategies, I think AA's is better for everyone.
I would agree if it was just status they were giving out, but the loads of stickers are just crazy. A "normal" elite would have to fly 50K miles to get 20.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
I would agree if it was just status they were giving out, but the loads of stickers are just crazy. A "normal" elite would have to fly 50K miles to get 20.
Completely agree. And if they really wanted to get people "hooked" on AA via upgrades, give them something nominal like 2-4, so they could possibly upgrade, but might have to shell out some $$ to get a few more stickers for any of the longer routes.

However, and I've said it before in another topic, DL's policy would be much more geared toward attracting/rewarding higher spenders. Whether or not you agree with this policy (or if it's more effective) is a different matter. But the fact that a person who buys a deep discount ticket 2 months ago gets upgraded before somebody who buys a last minute discount/full fare at a much higher price is stupid if you want to attract higher rev customers (again, I don't know what the best business model is, but this policy negatively rewards the highest paying customers). Also, AA's EQM EQP policy vs DL's MQM has the same effect. On DL if I fly occasionally for personal and earn 100% MQM, I am still see a benefit when I have to travel for business and book a last minute B/Y or business class international flight (again, all high revenue tickets). However, on AA, you only get rewarded for the higher revenue tickets (i.e qualify on EQP) if you consistently book those tickets. It's just stupid - there should always be a benefit to booking the last minute tickets (yes, yes, I realize you always get the extra EQPs, but that gets offset by the .5EQPs you earn on a deep discount fare).

Last edited by jmanirish; Feb 13, 2013 at 9:50 am Reason: clarification
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by jmanirish
...However, and I've said it before in another topic, DL has done a MUCH better job at attracting/rewarding higher spenders....
What evidence are you basing this statement on? What are DL and AA's yields and PRASM right now side by side?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:52 am

What evidence are you basing this statement on? What are DL and AA's yields and PRASM right now side by side?
No, no, you're absolutely right. Didn't mean to imply that I know the effect (or lack thereof) of either policy. Fixed my post to reflect that I meant DL's policy appears to be geared more towards rewarding higher revenue customers, or encouraging current customers to spend more. (I have no idea which one is more effective)
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Targeted Offer Emails: Instant GLD, PLT, EXP Status (2013)

My significant other, with no status, just got this email:
Enhancing your journey is important to us, so we're instantly upgrading your membership to AAdvantage® Gold through
August 31, 2013. Gold status comes with exclusive privileges that will make your travel more enjoyable.

You also have a unique opportunity to extend your Gold status through February 28, 2015. Simply register and earn 6,000 miles or points on American and other select airlines* between now and
August 31, 2013. That's all it takes to continue receiving these special benefits, including:
Confirmed upgrades as early as 24 hours prior to departure
25% mileage bonus on base miles flown
Complimentary access to Preferred Seats
Complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra through December 31, 2013
Waived charges for two checked bags
Priority Access at check-in and through security and boarding
As an added perk, we will deposit ten 500-mile upgrades into your account just for registering.

Don't forget to register prior to travel and by midnight (CDT) on May 15, 2013 with promotion code *****.

Good for him, but kind of a bummer for people who have to maintain Gold status the hard way.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Instant Gold Status [targeted promo?]

10 500-mile upgrades just for registering? That is incredibly generous...wow.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
Instant Gold Status [targeted promo?]

Irks me that I have never been the recipient of a targeted promotion of any kind. Still waiting for that EXP challenge offer, which I'll never get since they know I fly enough to maintain PLT and just barely inch towards EXP.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Silver
Instant Platinum for me

I this morning got one for instant Platinum status that read as following:

Enhancing your journey is important to us, so we're instantly upgrading your membership to AAdvantage® Platinum through
August 31, 2013. Platinum status comes with exclusive privileges that will make your travel more enjoyable.

You also have the unique opportunity to extend your Platinum status through February 28, 2015. Simply register and earn 12,000 miles or points on American and other select airlines* between now and
August 31, 2013. That's all it takes to continue receiving these special benefits, including:
Confirmed upgrades as early as 72 hours prior to departure
100% mileage bonus on base miles flown
Complimentary access to Preferred Seats and Main Cabin Extra
Waived charges for two checked bags
Priority Access at check-in and through security and boarding
As an added perk, we will deposit twenty 500-mile upgrades into your account just for registering.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
This offer seems to be a revolving one that AA is trying.

This was one from last year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ted-offer.html

It's similar to the ELTA offers that encourage you to fly more than you planned on in order to gain more benefits.

They are driving revenue which is a good thing.

And as a Gold, are they really going to use the e500's to compete with EXP's? No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.