Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural AA963 777-300ER / 77W DFW-GRU 31 Jan 2013 (photos)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
No reason to poop all over AA for this. It's not like NGBC, which was obsolete before it even launched.

And FWIW that J probably bests anything currently in the OW lineup besides CX and perhaps the JL Sky Bed (just based on pictures, no experience). Looks better than J on BA, QF, AB (current), IB, RJ or LA. The QF F suite on the 380 and the CX F seat are probably better, but the hard product Flagship Suite is still competitive among most major airlines but just needed a revamp and bigger TV.
Main drag is the tv. Doesn't rotate vertically making it hard watching it while in fully-flat position.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by hillrider
I didn't read that ricktoronto was pooping on AA, just on all the swooning on this thread as if this interior was ground-braking (which, as he pointed out, it isn't).
What I was trying to point out was that, while this wasn't a revolution a la BA's original CW flat bed it exceeds most of its partners/peers in the J department rather than just playing catchup and its F still competes with many int'l carriers but is increasingly less relevant due to F disappearing worldwide. And who really cares about Y ?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Since wider aisles don't contribute very much to comfort on a 10-16 hour flight, logic would indicate that AA would use the wider seats in MCE. As they are configured nine across, they're probably the same width as the existing 772 economy seats. As for the 10-across E- seats, ughh.
We need to remember that 10-across delivers a significantly lower CASM versus 9-across. The 77W will be excellent for the heavy hub to hub e.g. DFW-LHR routes that can use the extra capacity.

Originally Posted by Antarius
Emirates has 3-4-3 as well. While their Y- isn't great, people think of EK as a great airline due to their F and J. AA is tailoring their approach to the premium market; attempting to become the premier airline in the USA (IMO).

Y- will suck both due to the extra seat AND the loss of the 2-5-2 configuration. I cannot fault the decision however.
Yes it will stink but people aren't willing to pay a premium for 3-3-3 these days.

Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
So now AA is going to take 15 of these. Every press release seems like they add another few. Cabin looks great!
I wouldn't be stunned if they convert the remaining 5 77E's on order to 77W's.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:44 pm

I thought there was wifi internationally on these birds? No wifi logo on the flight status.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
As far as oneworld is concerned, this is far superior to anything the other carriers offer, with the exception of CX (not sure about AB's new seat). Certainly superior to BA's current generation CW product (and it is disappointing BA have chosen not to upgrade their CW product with the arrival of the A380s and 787s, but that is a whole different discussion).
Have you seen JL's new seat? The advantage of the JL seat over AA is that the foot space is as wide as the rest of the seat -- i.e. it does not taper and squash your feet like AA/CX and others (SQ etc).
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Just saw the photos. Am I the only one who thinks the aisles in Y look horrifically narrow? How is any non-anorexic person supposed to walk without slamming into every person sitting in an aisle seat?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I see it only took to page 2 (by my posts-per-page set up) to get to discussing the bathrooms, and the sinks... and I had such high expectations
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Have you seen JL's new seat? The advantage of the JL seat over AA is that the foot space is as wide as the rest of the seat -- i.e. it does not taper and squash your feet like AA/CX and others (SQ etc).
I agree, the first seats look a bit disappointing. I was hoping they would do something like CA's new 77W's which I would rate at or above CX's.

Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Just saw the photos. Am I the only one who thinks the aisles in Y look horrifically narrow? How is any non-anorexic person supposed to walk without slamming into every person sitting in an aisle seat?
I think I noticed that the window sets (3 seats) and the middle sets (4 seats) are not directly in-line, so that they might expect one to zig-zag down the aisle to pick up a few inches of width

3-4-3 is pretty ugly.

-----
RIP the 4th and now the 2nd, too.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Or people could just fly on a CX 777 and experience this now and for the past year and a half.

They haven't done anything new here vs. catch up with their partners.
They may well have only 'caught up' with CX but I'm pretty sure this J product will be better than a lot of the other 'partners'. As AA doesn't really fly that many (any?) CX routes so how they compare to them is a mute point. AA is not an option vs CX. However, how they compare to BA is important and this is where the new 77W will make AA competitive.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
"Power Source: Selected seats throughout Main Cabin feature individual 110-volt AC power outlets and USB jacks for charging personal electronic devices."

In 2013 shouldn't every Y seat have AC power and a USB jack?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by billycwhatup
I thought there was wifi internationally on these birds? No wifi logo on the flight status.
Inflight wifi will require international satellite links and there may not be such links or service as yet to SAmerica. The planes are equipped for wifi, but you need a network to link into and these are still limited to the US, NAtlantic, Europe and partial Pacific.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by patgarrett
"Power Source: Selected seats throughout Main Cabin feature individual 110-volt AC power outlets and USB jacks for charging personal electronic devices."

In 2013 shouldn't every Y seat have AC power and a USB jack?
Possibly USB jack, but AC power no. Consider the majority of coach customers will have iPod type players or tablets. These have battery lives of 12-hours or more, so no need to have power at the seat, a costly installation. Most laptop users will be in business or elites seated in the enhanced pitch economy cabin. Those are the only coach seats that should have power at the seat.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Most laptop users will be in business or elites seated in the enhanced pitch economy cabin. Those are the only coach seats that should have power at the seat.

Really?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Possibly USB jack, but AC power no. Consider the majority of coach customers will have iPod type players or tablets. These have battery lives of 12-hours or more, so no need to have power at the seat, a costly installation. Most laptop users will be in business or elites seated in the enhanced pitch economy cabin. Those are the only coach seats that should have power at the seat.
I can't agree with that. What about last minute (within 1 -2 weeks of departure) purchases from business people traveling in Y? The chances are that all the MCE seats will be gone on these long haul routes by that point so what are they to do for power?

Having flown Qantas within Australia and found their planes (at least the ones I was on) all had fantastic power connectivity throughout the cabin, I can't see why AA's long-haul pride-of-fleet aircraft can't have the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.