Inaugural AA963 777-300ER / 77W DFW-GRU 31 Jan 2013 (photos)

Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
So now AA is going to take 15 of these. Every press release seems like they add another few. Cabin looks great!
Yes, I heard AA has already 5 77W on orders to total of 20 77W aircraft.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:49 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by Mark_T
The problem is that time and time again people vote with their wallet and show that you can't charge a premium for a coach seat and justify it on service/comfort grounds.

So the fare has to stay cheap and then you try to show that your cheap seat is better than the other guy's cheap seat.

In that battle AA are actually quite well placed as their seat will be both cheap and new unlike most of the other guys and they will be able to hit a few key differentiators on IFE, power etc. and gloss over the 3-4-3 issue that most infrequent travelers will not really focus on anyway.
I agree. Sadly I think that 3-4-3 will be the norm in the future with the exception of a couple of carriers. To cite an example, TAM's new 777 will also be configured this way in the back.

But F on the hand, looks very spacious and wide.

TAM plans to deploy this new aircraft on the FRA and MIA routes, the latter competing directly with AA.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, I heard AA has already 5 77W on orders to total of 20 77W aircraft.
FLIGHT GLOBAL reports AA now will receive 20...confirmed by Horton.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...o-says-381787/
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by aw
I agree. Sadly I think that 3-4-3 will be the norm in the future with the exception of a couple of carriers. To cite an example, TAM's new 777 will also be configured this way in the back.

I will not be flying coach in a 777 with 10 across unless I know I will have an entire row. These days that is quite rare.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
To cite an example, TAM's new 777 will also be configured this way in the back.
Their current ones already are. Those pictures just feature their planned new seating.

Existing TAM 77W cabin shot: http://flic.kr/p/7kvqFU
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Planning on flying LHR-DFW in August on this new aircraft in J. Hmmm...what do you think - should I book 3D&3H?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
Sadly, I think you're exactly right about this for the majority of the flying public and AA has probably chosen the correct configuration for maximizing profit in the Economy cabin. However, after flying an Emirates 777 with 10 across seating once (the 3 hours 45 minutes seemed like an eternity) I can say that I would not take a transatlantic flight on a 3-4-3 777 if they were literally giving the seats away for free.
My experience on NZ 777 AKL-LAX with 10-across was equally poor. Never again unless I have no other choice (OK, if it were being given away maybe). I'm not a large person by any means but it wasn't comfortable and felt claustrophobic. Maneuvering the aisles was pretty tough if you had to pass anyone or walk around outstretched feet, etc.

Unfortunately we'll be seeing more of this config as time goes on. At least for now UA and DL 777s are still 9 across, hopefully we'll get a few more years before they "enhance" their seating to 10 across.

Are SeatGuru's pitch measurements correct for AA's -200 and -300 models (32" and 31" respectively)? If so and the new bird loses and inch of pitch on top of the sideways squeeze, that just adds insult to injury for coach.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
FLIGHT GLOBAL reports AA now will receive 20...confirmed by Horton.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...o-says-381787/
But this article itself says it's unclear if these 5 new "orders" are confirmed orders or options.

"It was not clear whether the additional five aircraft are options or firm orders. Boeing's online orders and deliveries page still lists firm orders by American Airlines for 13 777-300ERs. The database does not include a listing for options or commitments."
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 84fiero
If so and the new bird loses and inch of pitch on top of the sideways squeeze, that just adds insult to injury for coach.
It isn't quite so easy to do a direct comparison as the new seat pivot differently in the recline so you should still have more knee room even if there is a loss of 1 inch.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Planning on flying LHR-DFW in August on this new aircraft in J. Hmmm...what do you think - should I book 3D&3H?
I'm booked in 3L myself DFW-LHR. If I was not travelling by myself, I would go with 3D/3H. That mini cabin looks great - and just from the looks of it - 3L might be the greatest US airline business class seat available (for individual travelers) IMO.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BF263533
I will not be flying coach in a 777 with 10 across unless I know I will have an entire row. These days that is quite rare.
Or you could get MCE which is 3/3/3 if you have status (it's still free for GLD until sometime late this year IIRC), or just pay the extra cost for one of those seats?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
My experience on NZ 777 AKL-LAX with 10-across was equally poor. Never again unless I have no other choice (OK, if it were being given away maybe). I'm not a large person by any means but it wasn't comfortable and felt claustrophobic. Maneuvering the aisles was pretty tough if you had to pass anyone or walk around outstretched feet, etc.
Yes, that's exactly the way it seemed to me as well. In addition to the uncomfortable seating, the entire cabin felt claustrophic. When I first saw it, my immediate thought was that it looked like a toy made for Barbie dolls - only real people were going to have to squeeze into the seats. This configuration should be renamed MCD (Main Cabin Deficient).

Last edited by dogcanyon; Feb 2, 2013 at 10:11 am
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Where is the IFE?

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Is row 20 the best row in the house for legroomin Y? Is it MC or MCE? I can't really tell from seatguru...
In row 20 MC or 16 MCE where is the IFE?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by rkh29
In row 20 MC or 16 MCE where is the IFE?
It's in a pull-out arm from under the seats.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by chicoflyer#1
I'm booked in 3L myself DFW-LHR. If I was not travelling by myself, I would go with 3D/3H. That mini cabin looks great - and just from the looks of it - 3L might be the greatest US airline business class seat available (for individual travelers) IMO.
The seats seem to be labelled A/D/G/J on the AA site so I assume you are talking about 3J?

Just curious but why would you rate it higher than 3A for example?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.