Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is American the Flag Carrier of the USA? Should it be?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jec6613
The organizers then got the opportunity to become intimately familiar with Boeing's other fine products.

Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by george 3
+1 You must have been in JFK's DL terminal recently....
You mean the old PA terminal? A magnificent piece of architecture, very forward thinking at the time, combining functionality and grace. I hope that the Port Authority thinks harder about preserving it than it apparently did with AA's magnificent stained glass facade, once the largest stained glass window in the world, IIRC. The TW terminal needs to be reopened, too. It's being wasted by B6. Airports often have some great examples of architecture.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You mean the old PA terminal? A magnificent piece of architecture, very forward thinking at the time, combining functionality and grace. I hope that the Port Authority thinks harder about preserving it than it apparently did with AA's magnificent stained glass facade, once the largest stained glass window in the world, IIRC. The TW terminal needs to be reopened, too. It's being wasted by B6. Airports often have some great examples of architecture.
The PA terminal is not long for the world. It will be demolished and there's not much to be done about that. Yes, it was very forward thinking in an era where boarding was done from the apron rather than via a jetbridge. But that era has been gone for a few decades now. And, unlike the TW terminal, the PA terminal sits physically in space that JFK cannot afford not to use.

The TW terminal and its current restoration is not at all a JetBlue thing; the PANYNJ is responsible for that effort and they are moving forward on the project. Last I heard plans to build a luxury hotel on the site are still moving forward.

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 27, 2013 at 6:56 am
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
The tail is a piano keyboard

Originally Posted by pdquick
No. And moreover, I hate the flag motif on the tail. It's too busy, it's not what the flag looks like, and it ruins the livery.

It's a piano keyboard! The tail looks to me like a piano keyboard, not our flag. Yikes!

For the next few decades, as I look at the planes, I will be reminded of the movie "Big"--Tom Hanks, Robert Loggia....playing Chopsticks at FAO Schwarz.....

Terrible choice of tail artwork. The logo is too clever for its own good. Is that half of the letter A or the beginning of a sardine can? What went on in those decision-making meetings? I wonder what all the runners-up ideas looked like.

I hope the new uniforms aren't awful. The clip about the two designers seemed lame.

As a loyal American customer, I want/hope for the very best for this airline. The choice-makers didn't find it, at least for the logo or the tail. Jeez.

Lana
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, American Advantage
I find this rhetoric offensive. American is not a flag carrier for the U.S. In fact people from Mexico, Argentina etc. are just as American as U.S. citizen. I lived in Mexico for years and it was offensive to hear U.S. citizens refer to themselves as Americans as if they are the only people who can claim this identity. Maybe they need to change their name to North American Airlines if they want to be more representative of where they are based.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by TWAWORLD
I find this rhetoric offensive. American is not a flag carrier for the U.S. In fact people from Mexico, Argentina etc. are just as American as U.S. citizen. I lived in Mexico for years and it was offensive to hear U.S. citizens refer to themselves as Americans as if they are the only people who can claim this identity. Maybe they need to change their name to North American Airlines if they want to be more representative of where they are based.
+1 ^ it should be - North America.

--J
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jcf27
+1 ^ it should be - North America.

--J
Sorry? When did Canada cease being part of North America?

If anything, should be USA
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by TWAWORLD
Hold on there amigo: North America comprises Canada, the United States and Mexico!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by will2288
How is AA any different than any of the other dozens and dozens of airlines that have their country's name in it?

Are BA, JL and all the others wrong to be proud to have thie country's name on the sides of their planes? I think not.
In most cases those airlines all started out as state-owned national "flag" carriers and were privatized or remain in part owned by their governments. While US airlines survived on government contracts from the post office, the diplomatic corps and the military, they were never owned by Washington. So very different.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Hold on there amigo: North America comprises Canada, the United States and Mexico!
[nerd hat on]

Geographically, Greenland and part of Iceland (Thingvellir National Park is the place where you can see the North American Plate and the Eurasian tectonic plate is drifting part) is also North America.

[/nerd hat off]
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Too much travel
The US airlines have conversely been terrible at trying to portray the national brand - United's is yawningly non-descript; Delta's was clearly the result of a bored child playing around with a trigonometry set, and neither has anything remotely US-related about it.
None of these airlines set out to tell the world they were particularly American but rather reflected some other aspect of their respective corporate cultures. The new UA has the stylized globe on its tail (inherited from CO) which reflects the spread of its route network. The new DL similarly has a stylized delta triangle which is thoroughly appropriate for its name. Why should either have anything specifically American about their logos?

As I posted earlier in this thread, AA for most of its life restricted flying within the USA, the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada with no other international routes and thus derived its name from that primacy of route network. Today AA has the most limited international network of the three major carriers (other than US) so it is rather ironic it, or many of those here, think it the most appropriate carrier to be considered the US's "flag carrier". Other than its name, there's little else to commend it for that assignment.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Sorry? When did Canada cease being part of North America?

If anything, should be USA
Or maybe shorten the name a bit more from USA and call the airline US Air.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Hold on there amigo...
Thank you Senor, you just made my morning! ^
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:41 am

N.B.: Mexico is a set of united states, as well.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Maybe they need to change their name to North American Airlines
Already taken. It's a charter airline. You see their planes at DFW transporting troops to and from their deployments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.