honolulu to NYC after my mother passed away
last week. This was such an absolute ripoff
by AA. This also happened 10 years ago when
I asked them to quote me a fare after my
grandmother died. I find this to be outrageous
during a time of sorrow. Everyone will require
the need to fly after the death of a family
member, one time or another. While I doubt AA
is the only airlines ripping off people in a time of need, they were the only ones I check with.
Old May 27, 1999, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
First of all, Chauming, I am really sorry about your mom. I was over 50 when mine died and I still feel like an orphan.

The quote we got for our family to go to her funeral was $10,000.00 (Seattle/Sarasota). The bereavement rate was a heavily reduced $6,800.00. Fortunately we had been saving our miles, so we were able to get instant award tickets.

It sure makes a difficult time a lot more difficult.
Old May 27, 1999, 10:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Dear Chauming
I am sorry for your loss. During such times we often get a bit more touchy about things. While the AA rate was too high for your liking, you might consider some other things, like 1) AA does not owe you a discount, how much off your groceries did you get or your hotel or your funeral services? 2) perhaps AA had some problems "fitting" you on the plane given load factors, or 3) did you try any other airlines? Consider why a business should give you a discount. With that in mind rethink the issue. Again, the loss cannot be offset by anything, and I am truly sorry
Old May 27, 1999, 10:44 am
Original Member

chauming,

I am sorry about your loss. I went through the same thing a while back; 5 relatives in Michigan died in a period of 4 months. I had to fly from Pasco, WA (PSC - a middle of nowhere airport that only serves 3 airlines). I found that 3-day advance purchase fares were cheaper than the bereavement fares. At this time, you should probably get a good travel agent and explain the situation to them. They will work out the cheapest fare for you (which may not be the bereavement fare). In my case I ended up flying on Horizon (Alaska) Air - they were really understanding and connecting in Seattle on Continental a few times and with Northwest a few times.

I hope things work out for you.
Old May 27, 1999, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
First, my sympathy to anyone who needs a bereavement fare. I have been within driving distance of all my family funerals (of which at my age there are unfortunately many) so I have never asked for one, but it is surely a difficult time for all.

That said, I still wonder about the logic of bereavement fares. We do not ask the taxi from the airport, the car rental company, or the hotel we stay at for a price break under those circumstances. I did not tell the attendant on the Mass. Turnpike last month "I'm going to my aunt's funeral, cut the toll." No other business is expected to give a discount because a customer lost a relative or is attending a funeral. The price is the price. Why we need their product or service is our business, not theirs.

So: Why do we expect airlines to offer these fares, why do they, and why do we get upset when the discounts aren't big enough? Because air fare is the largest single cost item of attending a distant funeral, so that's where a discount matters most? Because we don't like to be charged a "sorry, you didn't plan ahead" fare in a situation where we couldn't possibly plan ahead? Because full fares are set for people who are spending their employer's money, and are much higher than people are used to spending on vacation or can afford from their own pockets? I don't know. Just wondering ...

[This message has been edited by Efrem (edited 05-27-99).]
Old May 27, 1999, 3:04 pm
Original Member

The reason why we expect that the airlines to offer a bereavement fare is because we know the same coach seat can easily differ up to a 1000% in price.

Other services, such as cab, funeral, or even hotel prices (from what I have seen differ <100%) seem like a fixed cost compared to airlines.
Old May 27, 1999, 3:18 pm
pgupta011

This is one big benefit of FF tickets - price is almost the same (except that some airlines charge fees for last minute tickets). In such situations it helps to have FF tickets, or to have relatives or close friends who have them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.