Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequency of 50% bonus AA miles sales

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by nall
I bought some miles yesterday and the bonus posted about 24 hours later!

(Some previous bonuses have taken much longer.)
Yeah, in the past bonuses were deposited in 5 to 6 weeks of purchase, which makes the point for buying miles for on-spot redemption just a waste.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Historically the 50% Bonus has been on offer in late November/December, however if there is a merger with US anything could happen. IMHO If you need the miles for a ticket buy now.
FYI, AA Just announced a 50% bonus miles offer until Feb, 28, 2013. It may be targeted but I received an e-mail this morning.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:12 pm

I wonder why AA offers the same promo one after another...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I got the 50% bonus offer this morning. But it says I can purchase 60K and get 30 bonus. There is no fine print on the email saying they have upped the annual limit from 40 to 60. They usually do.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I got the 50% bonus offer this morning. But it says I can purchase 60K and get 30 bonus. There is no fine print on the email saying they have upped the annual limit from 40 to 60. They usually do.
The T&C on the buy points page says the annual limit is 60K.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by iridge
FYI, AA Just announced a 50% bonus miles offer until Feb, 28, 2013. It may be targeted but I received an e-mail this morning.
It's not a target offer.
Anyone can access the buy miles with 50% bonus web from the AA.com.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
The real question is will there be a major change to the AAdvantage program in the next little while which devalues these miles. If you need the miles now obviously go for it, but if this is for a trip a year from now we could be looking at a much less generous program.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:23 pm

I missed out on this promo last year. Pretty happy it showed up this month. Bought into it and the miles posted in less than 24 hours.

Is the best offer AA has done in recent times? Has there been a 100% bonus like US Airways?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by TheJPretender
Has there been a 100% bonus like US Airways?
Not in recent history.

(Although remember US Airways typically charges a much higher price to directly buy their miles.)
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:45 pm

Glad AA Brought This Promo Back!

Just purchased 60K miles with 50% bonus. Coupled with buying this promo in Dec 2012, I'm good to go this year with several good trips in biz using miles...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
I purchased miles today to be able to top off the account for an award, but the miles didn't post instantly. Then I read the T&C and it seems it might take some time

I'm afraid that by the time all the miles post, the award will be gone. Is there any way to book the award now given that I bought the miles and should get them in the near future?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apk123
I purchased miles today to be able to top off the account for an award, but the miles didn't post instantly. Then I read the T&C and it seems it might take some time

I'm afraid that by the time all the miles post, the award will be gone. Is there any way to book the award now given that I bought the miles and should get them in the near future?
if you can do it on line then on the payment page you can select 'HOLD'. I guess if you do it by phone you can get the same hold. It was for a few days IIRC - three maybe?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
The award I want can't be booked online. I think the t&c say that the 50% bonus can take a few weeks or so to post?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apk123
The award I want can't be booked online. I think the t&c say that the 50% bonus can take a few weeks or so to post?
f the points take that long to post then nothing you can do. can't put an itinerary on hold that long.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nall
Not in recent history.

(Although remember US Airways typically charges a much higher price to directly buy their miles.)
You have a different definition of "typical" than I do. I often purchase US miles at under 2 CPM during various promos. I've never seen AA miles under 2 CPM through purchase through AA (there have been times where I've effectively bought at less than 1 CPM, though, but those were things like getting Wyndham points for cheap and laundering them as airline miles). US often has 100% bonus promos during the years I've been involved in that program, and their miles are almost always cheaper to outright buy than AA's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.