Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA new brand identity, logo, livery, color scheme (17 Jan 2013) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: AA's new identity package / branding, color scheme and logo:
I love it! Innovative, striking!
20.33%
It's OK - I'm warming up to this new look.
29.62%
I'm not feeling much one way or another - it may take time.
9.29%
I think AA could have done better.
20.92%
I really hate this look - what were they thinking?
19.84%
Voters: 1023. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: incognitoMD
American Airlines CEO Tom Horton announced AA's new branding going forward at 10 AM Eastern time 17 Jan 2013. His address about the new branding and 77W color scheme rollout can be seen here. N.B. Watch the entire video and go through the pages to enter a photo contest to win up to 1 million A miles. Also, link to AA news release.

AA now has some Boeing 777-323ER, 777-223ER, 737-823ER and 767-323ER in new livery.

Print Wikipost

AA new brand identity, logo, livery, color scheme (17 Jan 2013) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
The new logo is the result of extensive feedback from many of our people and our customers. We started with our most important audiences to ensure that the logo represents the company.

In terms of the process: before the new logo was selected, a team of advertising, design and brand experts evaluated our prior logos for key themes and meaningful imagery. Focus groups with our team members and customers provided feedback on the look and feel of American Airlines, which was carefully considered. Then, the design team developed numerous logos, and this one was ultimately selected as the one that best visually represents our company. The logo incorporates the symbols and colors people have come to associate with the American Airlines name – the eagle, the star, the “A,” and red, white and blue – yet it is updated and clean.
Thanks, AA, sounds like the process I outlined. Whether you like the logo or not, now we know that there was at least a process to the exercise.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT-Pro, Priority Club Plt, Hilton Gold, Hyatt
Since I really like the new design, tail and all I may be in the minority from amongst the posters here but in the apparent majority from those who are voting in the poll. And since AA is actually watching this thread and replying to some of the posts I'll say good job and don't let the detractors here get you down. If you announced a plan to help save the lives of 1,000 puppies there would be people here who would start complaining that somehow it would mess up their chances for free upgrades. There's absolutely no subject on earth that FT'ers can't find fault with.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
how many actual aircraft are painted up with the new look? Just the single 737? Any 777? The presser from DFW seems to just show the 737 (which looks WHITE on my TV and unlike the grayish silver in the photo that was posted earlier) parked infront of an unfinished 777.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
I can't be seen with a tail like that!!!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
how many actual aircraft are painted up with the new look? Just the single 737? Any 777? The presser from DFW seems to just show the 737 (which looks WHITE on my TV and unlike the grayish silver in the photo that was posted earlier) parked infront of an unfinished 777.
It appears that the 777 inside the hangar was a well-planned decoy. And the 738 does appear more white than the gray 77Ws we've seen for the past few weeks.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
It appears that the 777 inside the hangar was a well-planned decoy. And the 738 does appear more white than the gray 77Ws we've seen for the past few weeks.
yeah... It really caught be by surprise that the reveal aircraft was a 737 and not one of the new 77Ws.

Is the 737 with the new livery a NEW 737 that is just being added to the fleet, or was it one already in service and sent out to be painted?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by SFO777
OMG, I knew the new livery seemed familiar, right down to the flag like stripes on the "tail".
CLEVELAND?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:23 pm

during the presser from DFW, Tom Horton was asked if US Air had any influence or say or input on the new livery. He said no. It was in the works for two years. Dunno wether to believe it or not. Not sure if it really even matters.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:24 pm

The new livery will make for some afternoon fun at JFK
JFK Ground: Airfrans 12 turn left at alpha
American 34: umm... this is American 34 at bravo for alpha
JFK Ground: American 34 you're at bravo? Aren't you supposed to be on november
Speedbird 56: Speedbird 56 is on november
Airfrans 12: Airfrans waiting to cross mike
JFK Ground: Dammit! All of you say, "The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain."
Iberia 78: Actually the rain in Spain.....

Last edited by WChou; Jan 17, 2013 at 12:29 pm
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
This probably belongs in the "AA/US merger discussion" but I've seen nothing that makes me think a US/AA merger is anything more than adding US' operations/management/etc. to AA's and the merged company would live on in AA's brand. So even if there is a merger, I believe the new company will look like what was unveiled today.
why would US management want to live on AA's brand? At least, anything other than the actual name "American Airlines". Doug Parker wasn't behind this livery, if you are to believe Tom Horton. When a company gets taken over by a different one, the new management team wants to put their mark on it. Parker isn't gonna want Horton's livery/logo.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:29 pm

Works for me...not my airline to pick color schemes for...moving right along now.....
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah... It really caught be by surprise that the reveal aircraft was a 737 and not one of the new 77Ws.
Props to AA for the well-played distraction as everyone has been focusing on the 77Ws at DFW for weeks now.

Is the 737 with the new livery a NEW 737 that is just being added to the fleet, or was it one already in service and sent out to be painted?
In Terry Maxon's blog, he says it was a two-month old 738.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Overall, this feels regrettable.

My immediate reaction goes to the tail (um, wow). Maybe I will warm up to it, but so far, I agree with those who say it feels busy. The renderings of an airport full of those tails just increase that sense and here the comparisons to lawn chairs or blast fences seem most apt. The incoherence with the rest of the aircraft doesn't help.

Despite my first reaction being the tail, I think the bigger loss is demise of the scissor eagle. The new logo feels clichéd from the start: web 2.0 ish, and the slashes have been overdone lately, e.g., the Dodge logo (which I like) and the Air France redesign (which is meh). I wasn't a big fan of Kövecses's redesign -- the execution was impractical and the livery was boring -- but one of its strengths was building a new brand around the iconic elements worked, at least for me.

Curiously, the secondary products -- menus, new cards, etc all do look classier and like an improvement. If only the planes did.

This effort stands in such contrast to Delta's rebrand. While not exciting, I thought it a classy and fairly consistent modernization of their image that managed to bring back and build on the widget. I believe Delta's (latest) effort will last; I doubt American's will (and, frankly, hope it won't).

The tail reminds me of US Airways.

I really hope that's a coincidence.

Programs: EXP
Sometimes new isn't better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.