Wiki Posts
Search

AA/US AIR Frequent Flyers

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 1998, 7:14 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

AA/US AIR Frequent Flyers

When is US Air and AA going to start trading frequent flyer mileage? They have agreed to an allaince, so when is it effective?

Old May 12, 1998, 8:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
The official press release concerning the link up said "late summer" would be the time that the agreement would be in place
Old May 13, 1998, 4:12 am
Original Member

What does that I can transfer my Dividend Miles (USAir) to my AAd account?
Old May 19, 1998, 12:48 pm
Abby at WebFlyer

Right now, late summer looks like the earliest we will hear from these two about how this alliance will affect your miles. The original announcements, however, do state that members of each program will be able to combine miles for awards on the other program's chart. Also remember that many of the recently announced alliances (Continental/Northwest and United/Delta) require approval from the government, and waiting for that approval may take even longer. The AA/US Airways deal has skirted the govt. approval issue, however, by allying their frequent flyer programs and not the airlines entirely as their first step. This may mean we actually do hear from them by the end of summer!

Old May 20, 1998, 2:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I'm betting the chances are pretty good that US Airways will enact mileage expiration, just like AA. If you will be able to claim awards on each other's award charts, then it seems there will be a potentially huge imbalance in AAdvantage members claiming awards from US Airways in order to avoid AA expiring miles.

I imagine the situation is similar for the United/Delta alliance. This would not be good news for frequent flyers.
Old May 26, 1998, 1:18 am
Original Member

Last week, I received an email from the AAdv customer service. They told me that miles will NOT be transferable from AA to USAirways, but members of the programs an use and COMBINE Dividend Miles and AAdv Miles.
Old May 26, 1998, 12:03 pm
Commander Catcop

It's interesting U-S Airways renewed its
contract with AMEX Membership Rewards, then
set up this deal with American Airlines.

I think both airlines let to spell out quickly what this alliance means for us,
the frequent flyers.

Also betting that there will be some rule
saying "You can't transfer Membership Rewards
to U-S Airways and then American Airlines.
Then again, I'm very unlucky at bets.

Or American will join Membership Rewards,
which would be nice but I'm not expecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.