Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

1+ Hour Hold on EXP Desk! [weather / flight disruptions 15 Jan 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 5M

I called the EXP desk this morning (8am EST) and got a message stating that there would be a 1-1.5 hour hold time and asking if I wanted to be called back! It's been a couple month since I've needed to call the EXP desk. Is this something new that is happening regularly or some kind of fluke today?
RKDuke
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if it was a glitch?

I don't even think pond scum members have to wait that long.

Most I've ever waited for EXP is maybe 2 minutes.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:19 am

I've had that happen a couple times to me but once I start waiting it generally only lasts 10 mins or so. Did you end up waiting?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Nope. I'll call back later today when maybe(?) there are more EXP agents on duty. The system id give me an option to leave a number to be called back when my turn would have come up in the cue...

I did call back a second time just to check whether the system didn't recognize my AA number as being EXP...same result.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Probably due to the weather in DFW.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by umaa83
Probably due to the weather in DFW.
Yup. Boarded my flight and was seated (jackets for some put away) when they cancelled the flight and kicked us all off.

Stuck in DFW
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by RKDuke
I called the EXP desk this morning (8am EST) and got a message stating that there would be a 1-1.5 hour hold time and asking if I wanted to be called back! It's been a couple month since I've needed to call the EXP desk. Is this something new that is happening regularly or some kind of fluke today?
RKDuke
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Hun...186928691.html

Unexpected snow and sleet overnight in DFW. It is a royal mess....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got the same thing. 47 minutes!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:29 am
Original Poster

ok, I'm now informed re the weather situation at DFW. BUt I can't help but wonder, isn't the primary benefit/purpose of EXP Desk access is that one can get an agent on the phone immediately without a long delay? If I can't reliably get this the benefit is greatly diminished. It is precisely during situations as extreme weather when one needs to get an agent right away.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
ok, I'm now informed re the weather situation at DFW. BUt I can't help but wonder, isn't the primary benefit/purpose of EXP Desk access is that one can get an agent on the phone immediately without a long delay? If I can't reliably get this the benefit is greatly diminished. It is precisely during situations as extreme weather when one needs to get an agent right away.
+1

Having been already seated on the plane, I was a ways back in the line at the gate to get rebooked. Don't have an Admirals club membership, so couldn't go there either.

End result, stuck here.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:42 am

I imagine that normally they would increase staffing if they knew weather was going to be bad. But as mentioned, it wasn't expected to be like this. I live northeast of Dallas, and we are getting a LOT of sleet and freezing rain.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:43 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Seems to happen when there's severe weather, and we get a thread about it each time

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
From the East Dallas meteorological center - there's some white stuff on the ground. Oh, and all ramps of the High Five interchange at I-635 LBJ and US-75 Central are closed.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by bayoubabsy
I imagine that normally they would increase staffing if they knew weather was going to be bad. But as mentioned, it wasn't expected to be like this. I live northeast of Dallas, and we are getting a LOT of sleet and freezing rain.
The Jet Stream takes everything we get in CA and sends it to Texas a few days later. We had a cold storm with ice/sleet/snow at 2000' elevation in Southern CA 5 days ago, and we've had gusty winds with overnight temps in the 20s and 30s/ice ever since. I can't imagine how it WASN'T expected.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
You can, reliably, get that benefit. Today was an anomaly…wouldn’t you say?

A surprise snow storm occurs in AA's home base, which happens to be a major hub, and you think that doesn't affect a lot of ExPlats? Hell, it took me an hour to drive 10 miles to work taking the backstreets. Perhaps they are a little short staffed as parts of 360 and 183 are iced over and shut down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.