Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Can't Believe It Again: Ppl using Citi Plat Cards to Board as Plat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, AA ExPlt

I can't believe how many times I've seen this happen. At least 3x last year.

Waiting to board a packed flight at major hub as AA Plt.
Stand by Priority Access area as First Class boards. GA calls for Plat members and (usually older) gentleman pushes through to the front. GA looks at BP and asks man to go back as he is Group 4. He protests and states he is most definitely platinum and proudly shows Citi AA Plat card to prove it. GA tries to explain that card means nothing. 1-2 minutes wasted as man tries to convince GA and realt PLT line up behind him.

Has anyone else seen this happen?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by milkchug
I can't believe how many times I've seen this happen. At least 3x last year.

Waiting to board a packed flight at major hub as AA Plt.
Stand by Priority Access area as First Class boards. GA calls for Plat members and (usually older) gentleman pushes through to the front. GA looks at BP and asks man to go back as he is Group 4. He protests and states he is most definitely platinum and proudly shows Citi AA Plat card to prove it. GA tries to explain that card means nothing. 1-2 minutes wasted as man tries to convince GA and realt PLT line up behind him.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

Did you laugh out loud?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
AA has so many marketing terms that for the non-FlyerTalk passenger it becomes confusing. AA isn't Apple. AA is a company that offers a standardized product.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, AA ExPlt
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Did you laugh out loud?
Not for the one time the GA actually let the guy through!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 1:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
I guess we need to start holding hands when we board the plane, because looking at your boarding pass is just waaaaaaaay too complicated.

And I lol'd reading your little story. I think we all have had some experience or another where someone insisted on boarding when they were not supposed to and it ending in a very publicly humiliating way.

I will even admit I made the mistake when flying some super-cheap airline that shall remain nameless (it rhymes with Shmallegiant Shmairlines) since their boarding process/pecking order is about as logical as *insert your favorite metaphor*.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:55 am

Every airline's boarding procedure can be confusing if you are unfamiliar with it.

If a guy has an 'AA platinum (credit) card' and the GA calls for 'platinum members' to board, it seems like an understandable error for him to try and board.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Hyatt, AA
I pull that stunt all the time. My card is now expired but still use it. I once got into the lounge with it. I am AAgold but I'll usually whip out the Ciricard first

I guess it works 1 out of 5 times
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
When I was in Denver I had a lady run up to the precheck line without a boarding pass and try to get through. Apparently she thought it meant you could go through this line before you checked in (ie precheck).

I have to say that this was the most patient TSA lady I have ever seen. Actual quote:
"Maam, I can't let you through here without a boarding pass"
"But you are going to make me laaaaaaatttteeeeeee"
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Xero
AA has so many marketing terms that for the non-FlyerTalk passenger it becomes confusing. AA isn't Apple. AA is a company that offers a standardized product.
I agree here. I think the problem lies with AA. Really doesn't sound like a scammer. Just someone who has fallen prey to a confusing marketing scheme. Gee, let's label the card level the same as our elite level. That won't confuse anyone

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
I still don't see how people can get the Platinum elite status and Platinum credit card confused.

If anyone has a Citi AA credit card, then that must mean they are interested or fly enough on AA to the point they should be familiar with the elite status levels and the boarding process, because why would you ever get an airline co-branded card if you are completely unfamiliar with the airline?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
I still don't see how people can get the Platinum elite status and Platinum credit card confused.

If anyone has a Citi AA credit card, then that must mean they are interested or fly enough on AA to the point they should be familiar with the elite status levels and the boarding process, because why would you ever get an airline co-branded card if you are completely unfamiliar with the airline?
Why? Because people want to accumulate miles from their credit card to use for awards. As such, I would guess that most people with AA credit cards know very little about the status program. And I would also guess that that even includes people who have some status with AA.

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
Why? Because people want to accumulate miles from their credit card to use for awards. As such, I would guess that most people with AA credit cards know very little about the status program. And I would also guess that that even includes people who have some status with AA.

Cheers.
truth,

I know people who think they have AA gold status due to their possession of the AA Citi Gold credit card.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:55 am

The real world is full of people who don't pay attention, and things that don't make sense (such as similes, which are like metaphors, which are something else entirely).
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:01 am

I don't know, I would argue that these cards are actually most attractive to kettles. If you look at the benefits, they offer little for those with status, but are a big step up for those with no status who fly 2-3 flights per year.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:27 am

"If it says "Platinum" on your ticket, you are clear to board"

Whenever I hear them say that, there's never an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.