Outright Quackery Getting Upgrades on BA

Old Jan 8, 13, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: Palm Beach/Hungary 3.9MM AA EXP, UA GOLD 1MM, DL PLT, MARR LIFE PLT
Outright Quackery Getting Upgrades on BA

Do any of you experience this?

I have called AA Executive Platinum about 8 times about getting an upgrade on a MIA-LHR flight from J to F. Everything stated below is wrong based on AA policy.

Call 1. AA rep states they cannot upgrade flights booked on AA codeshare numbers.

Call 2. AA rep states I should move my flight to BA flight number that has A inventory.

Call 3. AA rep states space if available as F inventory but is upgradeable, sadly she cannot process the request.

Call 4. AA rep states ticket purchased originating in Europe cannot be upgraded.

Call 5. AA rep only talks to me about to switching to an AA operated flight.

Call 6. AA rep says they cannot upgrade me within 48 hours.

Call 7. AA rep says to process upgrade I need a BA flight number but as flight is full in J she cannot reissue the ticket and thus upgrade.

Call 8. AA rep states she cannot upgrade me as I am booked on AA codeshare number, only to correct herself but tell me I cannot upgrade without a reissue, only to me she cannot do it as she cannot find the inventory.

My understanding is clear. Yes, any AA issued ticket is upgradeable on BA if you meet fare requirements as spell out on AA.com. If you buy thru a travel agent one flight in itinerary must have an AA flight number to be upgradeable. The correct BA First inventory for an upgrade is Z.

God help AA and those us who must suffer this type of quackery. EXP reservations agents are lost on this. I wasted so much time.
Old Jan 8, 13, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Upgrading on BA flights with AA miles is a relatively new part of AAdvantage. I believe it coincided with the JBA that AMR signed a while back with IAG, the holding company of BA and IB.

It is not surprising to me that many EXP agents have not had too many occasions to deal with upgrading BA metal flights. It does not strike me as something that would happen too often.

I would cut them some slack. Or take the offer to switch to an AA-operated flight. I have found that AA F on the 772 has more personal space than BA F on the 744.
Old Jan 8, 13, 10:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I suspect part of the reason for the 'quackery' is that very few people ever use the new BA upgrades because of the fare restrictions, leading to situations where AA agents are extremely unfamiliar with the process.
Old Jan 8, 13, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Quackery?
Old Jan 8, 13, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond
For those that want the actual language: http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-u...servations.jsp

The OP should include the fare class booked (C, J, D or R on British Airways) and also should direct the agent to the appropriate language at aa.com. I know agents should know the rules but when I call for unusual situations (strange routings, multiple airlines, upgrades, etc.) I come prepared to educate.
Old Jan 8, 13, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
From my experience, the AAgents do not have access to the website and cannot read the rules there. I have had better luck with Web Support. Web Support can actually visit teh website and read what it says then figure out how to make it work.
Old Jan 9, 13, 1:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is there award 1st availability on the flight that you want to upgrade

if booked on the AA flight number, does it not mean that the AA codeshare has to have Z availability too?

I agree that there seems to be a lack of knowledge by AA agents regarding upgrades on BA based on my experience of trying to do so

I don't see what was necessarily incorrect with answer 8
Old Jan 9, 13, 2:27 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Better quackery than douchery.
Old Jan 9, 13, 2:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jm0754 View Post
Call 7. AA rep says to process upgrade I need a BA flight number but as flight is full in J she cannot reissue the ticket and thus upgrade.
This is correct. You first need to be re-booked onto BA prime flight in the originally booked cabin. The correct F upgrade bucket is 'Z'.
Old Jan 9, 13, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
This is correct. You first need to be re-booked onto BA prime flight in the originally booked cabin. The correct F upgrade bucket is 'Z'.
Not according to the T&Cs

At the "Terms and Conditions" link at http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-u...servations.jsp

Originally Posted by aa.com
AA, BA and IB flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by AA, BA or IB are eligible. Reservations booked through a source other than AA must include at least one flight with an AA flight number in order to be eligible (includes travel on codeshare flights booked as an AA flight number).
Whether AA codeshares have Z availability is another issue
Old Jan 9, 13, 5:38 am

Dave Noble, I am not really sure what is not according to the T&Cs...

Code share flights are eligible. AA*BA flight cannot possibly have any 'Z' inventory as it is up to BA to decide how many seats to make available for each flight. The T&Cs say nothing about the upgrade process itself, which is as I descried - the AA*BA code share flight is first re-booked into the respective class in the originally booked cabin on a BA prime flight number and then the upgrade is processed. The upgraded segment will carry a prime BA flight number not an AA code share number.
Old Jan 9, 13, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
Dave Noble, I am not really sure what is not according to the T&Cs...

Code share flights are eligible. AA*BA flight cannot possibly have any 'Z' inventory as it is up to BA to decide how many seats to make available for each flight. The T&Cs say nothing about the upgrade process itself, which is as I descried - the AA*BA code share flight is first re-booked into the respective class in the originally booked cabin on a BA prime flight number and then the upgrade is processed. The upgraded segment will carry a prime BA flight number not an AA code share number.
Where is the confusion. It states

AA, BA and IB flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by AA, BA or IB are eligible

There is nothing to stop a codeshare having award availability.

There is no need under the terms and conditions to be booked on the BA flight number in order to be eligable to upgrade.

I can provide one example. LAN and QF. LA800 carriers a QF codeshare QF321. A QF member wanting to redeem an award on LA800 is ( or was ) required to book on the QF321 number; awards on LA800 were explcitly prohibited

Whether AA has Z availability on its codeshares on BA, I do not know, but there is no reason why it would not be possible and the T&Cs specifically state that codeshares are permitted and why would they explicitly mention it if it was not possible

I can believe that in the OP's situation that there was no Z availability on the AA flight number even though the BA flight number may have had
Old Jan 9, 13, 6:03 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Where is the confusion. It states

AA, BA and IB flights or codeshare flights marketed and operated by AA, BA or IB are eligible

There is nothing to stop a codeshare having award availability.

There is no need under the terms and conditions to be booked on the BA flight number in order to be eligable to upgrade.
To be fair, it says codeshare flights are eligible, but it says nothing about the process or availability.

Booking a flight as a codeshare may make it eligible, but there could be some behind-the-scenes manipulations that require changing the flight number in order to get your upgrade. The T&C do not say that you will be able to keep your codeshare flight number during the upgrade process.
Old Jan 9, 13, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by janetdoe View Post
To be fair, it says codeshare flights are eligible, but it says nothing about the process or availability.

Booking a flight as a codeshare may make it eligible, but there could be some behind-the-scenes manipulations that require changing the flight number in order to get your upgrade. The T&C do not say that you will be able to keep your codeshare flight number during the upgrade process.
That would mean that the codeshare flight had not been upgraded.

The Terms state explictly that they can be upgraded, though whether availability exists is an issue

Of course, if wanting just to ignore T&Cs , then whatever... enjoy flyergossip

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 9, 13 at 6:22 am
Old Jan 9, 13, 6:25 am

Dave Noble, once again the T&Cs say nothing about the process... It only says that code share flights are eligible. So, if you book an AA code share on BA in an eligible class you are allowed to upgrade that flight. How it's done should be of no concern.

Let's look at the process:

A passenger is booked on AA6148 in 'B' class from LHR to EWR. He wants to upgrade to WTP. 'B' class is eligible on AA code shares. He calls an agent and says that he wants to upgrade. The agent first re-books the passenger onto BA185 in 'B' class and then upgrades him into 'P' on BA185. Now, the passenger does not need to and won't know this process but when he receives a new e-ticket he will be booked in WTP on BA185. Was the code share flight upgraded? Yes, it was. The only difference is that now the passenger is booked on the prime BA flight number because the prime carrier is handling award space, and AA6148 would not have any award buckets. The passenger will receive mileage according to the originally booked flight (AA6148).

So, no the flight does not have to be booked as a prime BA flight in order to be eligible for an upgrade and AA code shares are eligible but how it's done is a different matter.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: