Wiki Posts
Search

500 mile upgrade process and clearing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:19 am
Original Poster

500 mile upgrade process and clearing

Hi FTers,
I am currently doing an AA Plat challenge and was granted Gold status for the 90 days. I have a IAD-LAX flight tomorrow (booked on Q) and requested an upgrade via the AA site (and have sufficient number of 500-mile upgrades in my account). It is now a bit less than 24 hours before departure and my upgrade has not cleared yet. I do see availability (through ExpertFlyer) and spoke to AA agent over the phone twice. They say that they can see upgrade request, availability, but that my request has not yet cleared. I am somewhat confused - if there is availability - 2 seats according to agent and ExpertFlyer, and I am within the correct timeframe (24 hours for Gold), why am I still waiting? One agent said that they might be waiting to sell the seat (though I don't understand this logic if the upgrade is available - code A - right?) She also mentioned that she had been seeing the system behave this way more and more recently. Is this standard? Am I misunderstanding the process? Many thanks for your help!

P.S. Many thanks to FT for all the invaluable information - which has already helped make my flights more pleasant!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:33 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Since upgrade availability can no longer be seen on ExpertFlyer, you are not seeing that. You need X availability- not just seats. It seems that there is no X, and no way to check that.

If you plan to fly AA much following your challenge, you should probably read the FAQ (where is says "Please check here first") as basic information, such as how the u[grade process works, is well-covered there.

Cheers.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! That explains it. I take it that kvs tool doesn't have info on such upgrade availability either.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by timdolan
Thanks! That explains it. I take it that kvs tool doesn't have info on such upgrade availability either.
Nope. No one does. EF used to be the only one. Now that is cut-off. You can make inferences from seats and other buckets, but that's less exact.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.