Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

International First <and> Business Enhancements Announced 7 Jan 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT

Jan 7, 2013 15:42:00 (ET)

FORT WORTH, Texas, Jan. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Just in time for the New Year, First Class and Business Class customers traveling internationally on American Airlines can now indulge in a host of new upgrades. The new premium inflight experience has launched onboard American's 777-200ER, 767-300ER and 757-200 aircraft flying in Europe, Asia and long haul Latin America markets. American's highly anticipated 777-300ER will also offer the elevated elements when the aircraft goes into service later this month.

"As we build toward a new, more modern airline, we have thoughtfully considered each detail of the international premium experience from beginning to end by providing high-quality amenities and dining options that our customers expect," said Rob Friedman, American's Vice President - Marketing. "By delivering a service that offers such personalization, we are able to provide an enhanced inflight experience that truly meets the expectations of our premium customers, and reminds them of home or their favorite restaurant."

Upon boarding, First Class customers will receive a welcome aboard card and an amenity kit, stocked with Dermalogica skincare products, that doubles as a tablet case. In addition, customers will enjoy upgraded closed-toe slippers, an additional pillow, and the choice of a specialty mimosa.

Business Class updates include new slippers and an amenity kit with Akhassa cosmetics.

While inflight, First and Business Class customers can choose from new menu selections that will be served on updated, more modern china along with new flatware and upgraded linens. In addition, First Class customers will receive other specially designed items including a textured placemat, napkin ring, accent water glass and an amuse-bouche, a bite-size hors d' uvre.

Designed to resemble the personalized service provided in an upscale restaurant, First Class customers' entrees and beverages will be hand-delivered upon request. Food and beverage enhancements will include more variety and selections, including the introduction of a soup option, and a customizable pasta entree - a first for an airline. First Class customers will also see an expansion of American's signature sundaes with a featured sundae option, a breakfast card - similar to hotel room service, increased bread options and a pre-landing sweet treat and spa water.

A wine sampling will be offered inflight for First Class customers. Customers will receive a tasting card to assist in their selections for the remainder of the flight and all offerings will be specially chosen for the flight by American's wine consultant, Ken Chase.

Business Class customers will also enjoy newly designed food elements and a customized sundae from the airline's popular dessert cart.

In addition, premium class customers on the 777-300ER aircraft, set to begin flying on Jan. 31, will enjoy a walk-up bar with a selection of snacks, sandwiches and assorted sweets, available between the first and last meals.

These recent enhancements are another example of how American continues to invest in elements that will modernize its customers' travel experience. The new international premium experience complements American's array of products and services that together are building toward the new American. To learn more about American's enhancements to the international travel experience, visit aa.com/flyincomfort.
Implementation will be interesting. I wonder if they've cleared this with APFA. I've always felt that the hard product isn't bad at all in international 777 F. It's the soft product with which I have problems.

And what, exactly, does this mean?
First Class customers' entrees and beverages will be hand-delivered upon request.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

But still no Wild Cherry Pepsi.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, EXP, Hilton Diamond
I just returned from Madrid on the 763, and the new amenity kit, slippers, and china were all apparent. It was a noticeable upgrade. Now....the other passengers in J were quite a bunch to be reckoned with. It was clearly the end of family vacation.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And what, exactly, does this mean?

First Class customers' entrees and beverages will be hand-delivered upon request.
Gone, apparently, are the days of "here, catch."

Cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
what, exactly, does this mean?

Perhaps a reinforcement that there should be no carts in the aisle for international F?

Originally Posted by brp
Reminds me of 20 years ago when I used to fly a lot on QX Metro IIIs (18 seaters with an open flight deck, 1x1 seating and--of course--no FA)... One of the pilots came on one time and said something along the lines of, "in case anyone is thirsty, we bought a case of Coke at the airport and we'll be rolling them back right after takeoff."
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Only if so requested.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Already posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ancements.html
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Microwave
Perhaps a reinforcement that there should be no carts in the aisle for international F?
Yes, I believe so.

I was in J on one of the first flights out of LHR with the new catering and it was great to see the desert cart moved down from F and making an appearance in J

Nothing new in this post though, all this was known in early December.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
AA Announces Upgrade to Int'l First/Business In-Flight Service

I flew in first (and also in business) on AA recently and really liked the closed-toe slippers. Oh, and new food was pretty good too. (Unfortunately, it was the HND JFK flight and it was breakfast followed by breakfast so I can't speak for other meals yet although I'll be sampling it soon...)

AMERICAN AIRLINES UPGRADES INTERNATIONAL FIRST AND BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE

American Airlines has made some major changes to its first- and business-class in-flight service on international flights. The changes are in effect on flights operating on Boeing 777-200ER, 767-300ER, and 757-200 aircraft flying to Europe, Asia, and long-haul to Latin America. Flights aboard the airline’s new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft will also offer the upgraded meals and amenities when these aircraft go into service at the end of this month.
Some of …
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ancements.html
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
And I did a search several times before posting and nothing came up (and I thought I was good at search terms)...

Oh well, I will ask the mods to merge
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator note

Though this is somewhat related to the International Flagship Service / IFS release of last month, this is a broader enhancement (including Business class)and about a different release.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It does sound like an improvement but I have trouble with the

"the introduction of a soup option, and a customizable pasta entree - a first for an airline"

Neither soup nor pasta seem to be particularly new and curious in what way this is a "first" for an airline
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Flew in J JFK-GRU on 12/25 and the ice cream was Ben & Jerries Cookies and Cream with cookie sprinkles. On the return GRU-JFK 1/4, did get the made to order sundae. A fellow traveler in F complained at baggage about getting a pizza for the pre-landing snack on 1/4, about 45 minutes before we landed. I thought it was okay. Oh, and the plateware and glasses seemed to be newer on the 1/4 flight. The self serve snacks would have come in handy on 1/4 (daytime flight) since lunch was served ridiculously early at 11am Brazil EDT and the snack 7pm Brazil EDT.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble:19998303
It does sound like an improvement but I have trouble with the

"the introduction of a soup option, and a customizable pasta entree - a first for an airline"

Neither soup nor pasta seem to be particularly new and curious in what way this is a "first" for an airline
Clearly the operative word here is "customizable."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.