F vs J JFK-LAX on 762 - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
F vs J JFK-LAX on 762 - worth it?

Hey AA experts,

I'm booking my itinerary on AA.

For my JFK-LAX segment the mark up to F from J is about 300 bucks. I've never flown AA transcontinental in a three class aircraft before. For those of you that have....is it worth it? Are the seats/meals/service significantly better than J class?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:20 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
If you look in the FAQ at the top of the page (where it says "Please check here first") you'll find a very good description of the seats and service for the various AA aircraft. That should allow an informed decision on which to choose. There's a wealth of other basic information like this in that FAQ.

Cheers.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by duckied
Are the seats/meals/service significantly better than J class?

Nope.

But it may well be worth $300 more for a slightly better experience, but that is up to you. Look for trip reports for more detailed information.

F would give you access to the Flagship lounge, if you don't have access already. I have heard good things about the JFK one.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Hey AA experts,

I'm booking my itinerary on AA.

For my JFK-LAX segment the mark up to F from J is about 300 bucks. I've never flown AA transcontinental in a three class aircraft before. For those of you that have....is it worth it? Are the seats/meals/service significantly better than J class?

Thanks in advance!
Not worth it. The Flagship lounge is nice, but not worth $300, and the F product in the 762 was mediocre 25 years ago. Today it's dreadful. I sometimes choose to stop in ORD or DFW just to avoid flying the 762. Plus, with all of the mechanical delays with these aircraft (there's a thread just about them), I don't really think I'm losing any time.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:46 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The Flagship lounge at JFK is a basic lounge with one hot food item. It is most underwhelming.

When you're only 1 of 2 pax in the F cabin, and you see the full J cabin, as it was in my experience, you know it's worth the $300.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jefftf1
Not worth it. The Flagship lounge is nice, but not worth $300, and the F product in the 762 was mediocre 25 years ago. Today it's dreadful. I sometimes choose to stop in ORD or DFW just to avoid flying the 762. Plus, with all of the mechanical delays with these aircraft (there's a thread just about them), I don't really think I'm losing any time.
Today's F seats in the 762s date back to 2000 when they were lie-flat, horizontal to the floor F coffin seats on the 763s. A few years ago, when they replaced the old 762 F seats, their surrounds were left behind and their recline was limited so that they don't go flat. Nevertheless, they are the most comfortable AA seats currently in the sky except for the 777 Flagship Suites.

I wouldn't pay $300 extra each way over J but when redeeming mileage awards between JFK and LAX, I gladly pay the extra miles for a Z award over a U award.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:05 pm

Personally, Id pay $300 to upgrade J to F on a transcon. I just find the 762 a little crowded in J (plus only 1 lav for 30 pax). But check the info in the FAQ on the two products and make up your own mind.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Guys, thanks for the replies.

Seatguru lists the F seats as 'sleeper seats' while the J seats as 'cradle seats' so was thinking the F seats would be significantly more comfortable....but guessing not.

Call me stupid, but i've had a good look through the AA FAQ page....I can't find any area that lists the different AA onboard products. I see many topics about reservations and upgrades etc but nothing regarding what type of different seats/service onboard. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seatguru lists the F seats as 'sleeper seats' while the J seats as 'cradle seats' so was thinking the F seats would be significantly more comfortable....but guessing not.
Yet another in a long line of datapoints that demonstrate seatguru's errors.

The 762 F seats used to be lie-flat sleeper seats 10 years ago when Arpey announced that they would be removed from the 763s. They were stored in a hangar and several years later were installed in the 762s with their recline limited.

To be clear: They are substantially more comfortable for LAX-JFK redeyes than the 762 J seats. They are wider and, IMO, better padded. As I posted above, worth the extra miles if redeeming an award but I'm not sure I'd spend $300 extra each way.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by jefftf1
Choosing a connection in order to avoid the 762, if buying F or J, is cutting off your nose to spite your face, in my opinion.

Is the $300 each way, or roundtrip? If it's r/t then I'd do it in a heartbeat. I find the seat more comfortable than J and particularly like how much shoulder room they offer.

However I think you've inadvertently hit on another interesting point: the mechanicals. If the aircraft gets swapped for a 763 or 757 those in F will not get downgraded, while those in J could. So you could think of it as a $300 insurance policy...
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Guys, thanks for the replies.

Call me stupid, but i've had a good look through the AA FAQ page....I can't find any area that lists the different AA onboard products. I see many topics about reservations and upgrades etc but nothing regarding what type of different seats/service onboard. Am I looking in the wrong place?
On aa.com:
Travel Information/During Your Flight - although they focus primarily on int'l flights
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:25 pm

Check out these detailed trip reports from SFO777 about the AA 762 F product:

number 1

number 2
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

FWAA thanks for the clarification regarding the seats.

upgraded! it's each way.

bdemaria thanks for the link. I had checked out the AA website already. Nearly all the information (and images) they contain for First Class pertains to the 777 Flagship suite. There is hardly any service info or images pertaining to F or J on their transcontinental routes.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Will2288 - hugely appreciated, thankyou.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, AMEX Platinum, Priority Pass
Definitely worth it, IMO. Much smaller cabin -- more exclusive, quieter, with a lot more privacy. More personal, attentive service. Food is almost the same as J, but the seats are definitely more comfortable. They don't lie fully flat, though. The flagship lounge at JFK is nice (although not as nice as LAX's, and no flagship checkin either). I'd spring for it, as I fly both J and F transcon on the 762 a lot and while J is quite comfortable, F is definitely a slightly better experience, most notably for the slightly more comfortable seat and less crowded cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.