Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in AA domestic F, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
First time in AA domestic F, what to expect?

I'm a QFF who will be arriving in the US shortly and will be taking several AA dom flights, all booked as F Specials. Routings are LAX-DFW-AUS, AUS-DFW-JFK, LGA-ORD, ORD-DCA and DCA-ORD-LAS and then LAS-LAX.

What sort of service can I expect? I've heard good things about the cookies. I'm mainly interested in having my jacket and overcoat hung up during the flight - is this service provided? I've always had it in premium cabins previously.

My prior non-economy flying experience has been the new CX Int J (amazing), QF Int J (747 and A333), QF Dom J, and Air Pacific J on a 742.

Am looking forward to getting to experience AA in more depth. I have only taken two flights with them previously, one of which was in a horrid 757 flying IAD-LAX.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:36 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Isochronous
I'm a QFF who will be arriving in the US shortly and will be taking several AA dom flights, all booked as F Specials. Routings are LAX-DFW-AUS, AUS-DFW-JFK, LGA-ORD, ORD-DCA and DCA-ORD-LAS and then LAS-LAX.

What sort of service can I expect? I've heard good things about the cookies. I'm mainly interested in having my jacket and overcoat hung up during the flight - is this service provided? I've always had it in premium cabins previously.

My prior non-economy flying experience has been the new CX Int J (amazing), QF Int J (747 and A333), QF Dom J, and Air Pacific J on a 742.

Am looking forward to getting to experience AA in more depth. I have only taken two flights with them previously, one of which was in a horrid 757 flying IAD-LAX.
Don't expect too much from AA Domestic F and then you won't be disappointed It won't compare all that well to the Intl First/Business experiences you've had though.

Service varies depending on staff onboard. Some are exceptions, some OK, and some poor. Just depends there. You can count on your jacket being hung up though.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:43 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Be prepared to hang up your own jacket.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by GB
oh common.. be generous... they've done the jackets thing on 99.95% of my flights... they might do it later than you like... but they get it before take-off ...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by galaticos
oh common.. be generous... they've done the jackets thing on 99.95% of my flights... they might do it later than you like... but they get it before take-off ...
That would be my experience as well, never had to hang my own jacket unless I wanted to do it before the FA could reach me and where I was seated next to the closet.

All I'd say for the OP is just be patient during boarding if it is being conducted through the front door as is most likely on a lot of these flights.

It is very difficult for the FA to collect jackets or deliver pre-departure drinks while people are queuing into coach.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread title has been updated to more accurately reflect the topic being discussed.

~Moderator
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
First: Domestic F is always better than Domestic Y on the same flight.

Hard Product: Larger, more comfortable seats with good pitch. I got to ride in F on one of the new 737s last week, and the new seats are nicer than the old (though both are fine). On certain routes you may be in an International J or F cabin, though this won't affect actual service level, UNLESS you are doing the JFK-LAX/SFO (which apparently you aren't).

Soft Product: As others mentioned, coat hang-up is almost always there, though not always prompt. Pre-departure beverage, on the other hand, has been hit and (largely) miss for me. Food service is nice on flights that offer it. I especially like the warm nuts. Good in-service attention from the flight attendants. FEBO service order is also hit/miss in my experience.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
More space than Y. Otherwise one never knows.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by GB
if you want your coat hung up, it helps to take it off and place it in your lap so the FA knows you want to get rid of it. If you don't take it off, the FA will probably assume you want to wear it during the flight.

Earlier this week on LIR-MIA, we finally got the pre-departure bevs after the plane had pushed back and was taxiing. AA prefers binge drinkers over those who sip their sparkling wine.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry
Flyertalkers are jaded, but in general domestic F is very good, largely considered to be better on AA than other carriers like DL, UA, US, etc.

Don't get your hopes up for anything luxurious and you'll be fine... more comfortable than the folks in steerage and you'll get some basic meal service with premium beverages. Most of AA's domestic fleet is wifi equipped - if you are flying on 737s and MD-80s you can expect having gogo wifi.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

If legroom is your priority, then F is not always better than Y. On both the 752 (with the old Eisenhower F seats), and the 75W (with the new blue articulating F seats), the most legroom on board is offered in seat 9D in Y. No question. Plus, you can use your rollaboard as a leg rest after takeoff. I have done it plenty of times and slept like a baby!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:26 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
AA prefers binge drinkers over those who sip their sparkling wine.
Company policy +1
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nomaadic
Most of AA's domestic fleet is wifi equipped - if you are flying on 737s and MD-80s you can expect having gogo wifi.
...but you will have to pay for it ...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
I got to ride in F on one of the new 737s last week, and the new seats are nicer than the old (though both are fine).
I must be the only one, but I hate the new seat. Just had it again ORD-SFO and couldn't get comfortable; hard as a rock.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The true comparisons won't be with CX longhaul international - though it might be compared to regional Business in CX J, it's a better comparison to European airlines' regional shorthaul Business (e.g. Clun Europe, IB Business, etc.)

In the latter case, seats will be wider and have considerably greater seat pitch, food will be about the same, and service will be anywhere from distant to attentive. Generally, as one who has flown dozens of airlines over 60+ years, it's OK and beats the slats out of coach (but see the caveats about the old 757 "Eisenhower" seats, which it seems you may have experienced - much like the old "split bench" seats in some 1950's automobiles).

And Air Pacific (soon to be Air Fiji A330-200) Tabua Class is too different and "old school" to compare these days.

Please share your impressions with us once you have done some of your flying. And may all your flights be good ones.

Originally Posted by Isochronous

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.