AA will considers to end change fee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
AA will considers to end change fee

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...yfcpc&page=all

Will AA eliminate ticket fee or something like that? Will they bring a free 1st & 2nd checked bag back?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
This is nothing new at this point. It was announced and rolled out a couple of weeks ago. You're not getting anything for free, it's just a fare option for what $89 dollars i recall to avoid change fees. You can still pay the lowest fare and change fees apply. Upgrade that fare you have the option of not worrying about change fees.

The article is way off base when it states AA is forgoing ancillary charges. It's quite the opposite. It's a bet that paying up front for the options you may or may not use will yield better revenue for AA in the end.

And no, you wont get rid of those baggage fees you seem to hate so much.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grahampros
And no, you wont get rid of those baggage fees you seem to hate so much.
Oh yes, they will. They want to get a free baggage. There is no such thing. Those customers who doesn't like to be charging the 1st & 2nd checked bag fee. It's unacceptable!

It's time to eliminate the charging 1st & 2nd checked bag. This should be free. Those people who does not like to paying $100 checked bag. It's unacceptable!

All I say Enough is enough!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Oh yes, they will. They want to get a free baggage. There is no such thing. Those customers who doesn't like to be charging the 1st & 2nd checked bag fee. It's unacceptable!

It's time to eliminate the charging 1st & 2nd checked bag. This should be free. Those people who does not like to paying $100 checked bag. It's unacceptable!

Dont travel then. Your choice is simple.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Actually, those customers who had right to get a free check baggage.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
A right? Seriously? I bet you think you have a right to fly, too. It's simple supply and demand. If you want to go back to paying an extra $25 in your ticket for a service that costs the airline money, some airlines have created that option for you. But for the flying public who only looks at the price of the ticket when booking (read: most of them), it's advantageous for airlines to make their tickets appear to look the cheapest on Orbitz or Expedia.

Look at the price of plane tickets over the last 20 years. Now look at the price of gas, labor etc...you'll notice they're going completely opposite directions. Airlines are charging much less than before, despite rising costs of, well, just about everything.

If you want to retain your alleged "right" to fly, you best be willing to help the companies turn a profit however they see fit.

Cheers,
Cameron
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA

Fly Southwest or Jetblue.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
AA's new product is a way to make more money. The idea is to play into people's fear and general risk aversion. A customer might think "What if I need to cancel? Or what if I need to change my flight?"

AA is betting that more people will pay this extra fee to avoid a potential $150 change fee even if they are likely not going to use it. Therefore, AA gets extra revenue.

Last edited by Xero; Jan 3, 2013 at 12:16 am
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Xero
AA's new product is a way to make more money. The idea is to play into people's fear. A customer might think "What if I need to cancel? Or what if I need to change my flight?"

AA is betting that more people will pay this extra fee to avoid a potential $150 change fee even if they are likely not going to use it. Therefore, AA gets extra revenue.
I dont know if it's fear based. As a business traveler with full knowledge it's actually a pretty good deal for me that is a win win for both. It's just one less thing to worry about processing a change fee and i may well pay more overall in the end but i'm ok with that.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:07 am

Actually, you are making those of us who Don't check bags, subsidise those who do!

Why should I subsidise you moving stuff around at great fuel expense?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As the original subject of this thread is already being discussed elsewhere, this thread is being closed. Please follow the discussion here:
New AA.com Pricing Display and Choice Bundles (Dec 2012, consolidated)

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.