Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Passenger Dies Aboard Flight from São Paulo to Dallas-Fort Worth

Old Jan 2, 13, 5:24 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Woman, 25, dies on Texas-bound flight from Brazil
NBC News
From the Associated Press

HOUSTON — Police say an American Airlines jet flying from Brazil to North Texas has diverted to Houston after a 25-year-old passenger died aboard the aircraft.

Houston police spokeswoman Jodi Silva says homicide detectives responding to George Bush Intercontinental Airport just before daybreak Wednesday found no signs of trauma on the woman. An autopsy will be performed. The name of the female passenger...
Old Jan 2, 13, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
So sorry to learn the circumstances, especially for the FAs and pax on that flight. I hope that the authorities are able to locate her family to make notification.

[skeptic hat on]

Hmmm.....a young woman traveling alone from Brazil? First thing that came to my mind is that she might have suffered a tragic medical complication from engaging in a particular type of illegal activity.... I won't describe it graphically out of respect for her, but I think some of you might know what I mean...

[/skeptic hat off]
Old Jan 2, 13, 5:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sadly, it has happened before - someone gets tempted or threatened into being a "mule", and the condom / balloon breaks and releases the contents into the intestinal system. But it's probably best to not speculate until the autopsy results are in.

Regardless, it's a sad situation for the survivors and they are deserving of our condolences.

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
So sorry to learn the circumstances, especially for the FAs and pax on that flight. I hope that the authorities are able to locate her family in Brazil to make notification.

[skeptic hat on]

Hmmm.....a young woman traveling alone from Brazil? First thing that came to my mind is that she might have suffered a tragic medical complication from engaging in a particular type of illegal activity.... I won't describe it graphically out of respect for her, but I think some of you might know what I mean...

[/skeptic hat off]
Old Jan 2, 13, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Sadly, it has happened before - someone gets tempted into being a mule, and the condom / balloon breaks and releases the contents into the intestinal system.
Precisely what I was thinking. Precisely. Medical diverts are extremely unusual for a 25-year-old woman, but given the origin and length of flight, I think it is a good working theory, with no outward signs on trauma reported.

Very tragic and sad.
Old Jan 2, 13, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
Woman, 25, dies on Texas-bound flight from Brazil
NBC News
From the Associated Press
If she died on the plane, what was the emergency? Might as well continue to DFW. It's about a 200 mile difference. Think of the cost to the airline and the inconvenience for all of the passengers.
Old Jan 2, 13, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
If she died on the plane, what was the emergency? Might as well continue to DFW. It's about a 200 mile difference. Think of the cost to the airline and the inconvenience for all of the passengers.
She's not dead until a qualified professional pronounces her.
Old Jan 2, 13, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
I've been on a flight which experienced a medical emergency and the captain deferred to the judgement of the doctor on board as to whether or not we needed to divert. The doctor determined we needed to divert and we did. It was the fastest taxi to the gate I have ever experienced. Perhaps the same happened here?

Everyone on my flight knew what was happening. Being inconvenienced was the least of my worries.
Old Jan 2, 13, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It is always best to get critically ill patients to a hospital ASAP. There is minimal equipment aboard to determine what may be the problem or to treat it. Presumably the decision to divert was made while she still had a pulse.
Old Jan 2, 13, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
She's not dead until a qualified professional pronounces her.
If there was a doctor onboard then presumably s/he would have been able to make that call. I'm curious at what point the woman began having problems since there were probably other suitable points to divert to along the way, but not sure exactly where would have been best.

If the above "theory" holds water then I would imagine it would go fairly quickly.
Old Jan 2, 13, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
It is always best to get critically ill patients to a hospital ASAP. There is minimal equipment aboard to determine what may be the problem or to treat it. Presumably the decision to divert was made while she still had a pulse.
Another factor to take into consideration is the proximity of a hospital to the airport since she'd still need ground transportation. I have no idea if this makes a difference in Houston versus DFW because both are metropolitan areas... so probably have a hospital very close.

Also the "OMG you made me stay on an airplane with a dead body for 200 more miles than I had to" factor... much more likely to get sued for that than a diversion (remember the couple that sued ... AirTran I think? ... because they claimed they saw cockroaches?)
Old Jan 2, 13, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Upgraded! View Post
....since there were probably other suitable points to divert to along the way, but not sure exactly where would have been best.
Of course this is all speculation.
What choice might there have been? MAO ? CCS/BOG ?
Old Jan 2, 13, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, CO
According to this source (in Portuguese), there was a doc on board. Autopsy results are expected tomorrow:
http://www.tvi24.iol.pt/503/internac...6510-4073.html
Old Jan 2, 13, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Sadly, it has happened before - someone gets tempted or threatened into being a "mule", and the condom / balloon breaks and releases the contents into the intestinal system. But it's probably best to not speculate until the autopsy results are in.

Regardless, it's a sad situation for the survivors and they are deserving of our condolences.
Well said (my bolding). Sadly, some people like to make fools of themselves for a bit of 'know it all' attention....

--J
Old Jan 2, 13, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Surprised this hit the news. A guy passed away on my flight from NRT to DFW earlier this year (was relatively young also -- like 40s or 50s) and it never hit the news.
Old Jan 2, 13, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
so are we ASSuming then?? someone from Brazil must be a mule??

Originally Posted by ESpen36:19962591
So sorry to learn the circumstances, especially for the FAs and pax on that flight. I hope that the authorities are able to locate her family to make notification.

[skeptic hat on]

[/skeptic hat off]

Search this Thread