Wiki Posts
Search

Warm towel smell

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, MHC, Amex Plat
Warm towel smell

Has anyone noticed that the warm towel smell is less than pleasant? Do they launder these things. Have you ever been able to find such a poor quality rag as this for sale?

Last edited by Georgemia; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:56 pm Reason: added able in last sentence
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Georgemia
Has anyone noticed that the warm towel smell is less than pleasant? Do they launder these things. Have you ever been able to find such a poor quality rag as this for sale?
They are one time use towels. You are imagining things.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I've certainly gotten stinky ones before. I think it depends on what water they use. Sometimes they'll use the airplane tap water, and other times they'll use bottled water.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
It might be an old, well used, coffee pot. The towels come in a plastic tray and then hot water is pour over them. Hot water comes from the coffee pot.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flymeAAway
It might be an old, well used, coffee pot. The towels come in a plastic tray and then hot water is pour over them. Hot water comes from the coffee pot.
That does make you think twice about drinking the coffee though ...
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

First things first, can we mostly agree that sometimes the towels smell foul?

I have a hard time believing that any frequent premium flyer (with a working nose) has not experienced this.

Safe Travels
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by sukn
They are one time use towels. You are imagining things.
Do you know this for a fact? Seems pretty inefficient to throw them out after one use (though I agree they could be washed better between uses if they're used multiple times).
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A551 Safari/8536.25)

First things first, can we mostly agree that sometimes the towels smell foul?

I have a hard time believing that any frequent premium flyer (with a working nose) has not experienced this.

Safe Travels
Yes, the towels often smell not quite as nice as roses. They use the awful water that is the same used for coffee/tea. There are some days the coffee and tea also smell/taste foul as well. It's just the on board water supply.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
If they are so disgustingly stinky, just say "No thanks" when they come around.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
As has been mentioned, it's the water.

The problem is they don't clean the water tanks, coffee pots, etc etc well or at all.

If you guys recall about 5 years ago we had a similar discussion about the ice at certain stations smelling bad. It's the same thing there, the supplier doesn't clean the ice machines allowing bacteria to grow creating the unusual taste and smell.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
They used to smell so nice. I forget what they used to infuse them with. I want to say cucumber, but I'm not sure.

I have also noticed that they smell less than pleasant lately. They smell like an old rag. It's just one more little thing that tells it's own story.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:50 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Do you know this for a fact? Seems pretty inefficient to throw them out after one use (though I agree they could be washed better between uses if they're used multiple times).
AA's towels are so thin and cheap they would disintigrate if you tried to wash them and reuse.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:15 am

Yes, I've occasionally noticed the smell, too. Lately, I've been receiving a lot of cold towels that were just dripping wet.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
They match the quality of the holeless napkins. Something special in the air - oh, yeah!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Yeah, they come in packaging like this: The FAs pour hot water over them and bring them out to us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.