Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST. Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators can edit this Wikipost.

Welcome. This thread has been archived; please visit the 2014 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

2013 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
4/16/13 SFO-DFW-MIA-EZE
EXP
First/BIZ
I was caught up in the 4/16 computer crash. Was on a paid First/Biz AA ticket, flying AA on domestic portions & LAN for the MIA-EZE leg. DFW-MIA flt delayed repeatedly, finally cxld 11:45 pm; all airport hotels sold out by then, rebooked on 7 am flt, DFW-MIA, with 14 hr layover in MIA, & on AA flt MIA-EZE. Spent 1 nt DFW, (no hotel offered, no cot or blanket either.) By calling EXP line, was able to apply SWU & upgrade my biz seat to 1st, MIA-EZE. In MIA, again nothing offered, so I booked day hotel to sleep & clean up. Finally arrived in EZE, approx 36 hrs later, but due to timing, missed first 2 of only 4 days of BA sightseeing. Also, no checked bag...arrived 24 hrs later.
AA Compensation: same 7500 miles offered to everyone caught in the 4/16 mess & $500 voucher & waiting for reimbursement for MIA hotel/food expenses.

Is this reasonable? Seems quite light to me as I've gotten $200 vouchers for downgrades on 2 hr flights & 10,000 miles for forgetting my special meal.
Old May 17, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by travelsavant
10,000 miles for forgetting my special meal.
10k miles for a special meal?
Old May 17, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Originally Posted by austin_modern
10k miles for a special meal?
it was INTL, 5k for each meal as other than the fruit (bananas) nothing I could eat. Not fun.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:23 pm

Where does one file a request with AA? I had a 7 hour mechanical delay on a 3 hour flight.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by qazw1
Where does one file a request with AA? I had a 7 hour mechanical delay on a 3 hour flight.
AA.com There is a huge customer service section on bottom quarter of the front page.
Old May 18, 2013, 7:13 am

Fair compensation for 24 hr delay +

My wife & I had award flts from UIO to LGA, layover in MIA all in J class on 5/15. The 1st leg delayed by 10.5 hrs (8:45 am to 7:15 pm, weather was not an issue) which forced us to spend a nite in MIA hotel (DoubleTree). We checked in the hotel @ 3 am. We took 3:45 pm flt from MIA to LGA to get some rest in MIA. This flt had only one F seat available so I took a Y seat. None of the earlier flts had 2 J seats available. I double checked the availability of the 2nd J seat upon check in but was told no. We arrived @ 7 pm in LGA on 5/16, exactly 24 hrs after our original plan. Some other points:
1. Rebooking was done by only 1 gate agent in UIO which made us wait in queue for 3 hrs;
2. Lunch was provided by Hilton in Quito which was 1.5 hr o/w shuttle ride;
3. Wait for DoubleTree shuttle was over 1 hr;
4. After boarding on MIA – LGA flt was complete, my wife saw 3 empty J seats which were given to a mother with 2 kids by a flt attendant.

So what should be a fair compensation & how to go about it? Btw, I’m an AA plt.
Old May 18, 2013, 8:37 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Your existing thread was merged into the overall Compensation thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

<redacted>

If you want to see where your posts have gone, you can do this easily from the "MyFlyerTalk" link and follow your posts rather than starting more threads.

Cheers.

Last edited by Microwave; May 18, 2013 at 9:29 am
Old May 18, 2013, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by brp

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

where it should have been posted in the first place. There is no need to start yet another thread.

If you want to see where your posts have gone, you can do this easily from the "MyFlyerTalk" link and follow your posts rather than starting more threads.

Cheers.
Just because someone called you a mod doesn't give you any mod powers, brp
Old May 18, 2013, 8:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Just because someone called you a mod doesn't give you any mod powers, brp
Hence the suggestion, advice and pointers, rather than magical mod things

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
I was referring to this statement. I'm still waiting for you to merge it
Old May 18, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
AA.com There is a huge customer service section on bottom quarter of the front page.
Thanks. I usually do not file complaints. But this delay was little bit excessive.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:02 pm

DFW to OGG Fiasco

Date: May 5, 2013
AAdvantage Status: No Status
Fare class: 2 Award Tickets in Business

What happened: DFW-OGG. Flight scheduled to Depart at 12:05. Boarded plane and after 20 minutes we are told they had not performed the overseas check and were just starting it which would take 45 minutes. Note...I believe this is the same plane that is scheduled to arrive from OGG (AA #6) at 05:00, a full 7 hours before scheduled return to OGG - but there is no flight 6 identified as landing in DFW on May 5 on the Flight Aware history of this flight. Approximately 45 minutes later we were told the check was completed and just waiting on paperwork. 20 minutes later we are told there was a problem with an engine and we had to deplane so the aircraft could be taken away from the gate and "stress" tested.

At 15:00 our plane is back to the gate and the gate agent announced that the maintenance guy "thinks it will be OK" and we will be boarding soon. At 15:20 an announcement goes out that another problem was found and at 15:30 we are told our plane was being taken out of service and another plane would be used. We are given meal vouchers. At 16:00 we are informed we have to take the Skylink to another gate in another terminal for our flight now scheduled to depart at 17:05 on this second plane.

At 16:45 at the new gate we are told that we have been ready to board for 15 minutes, but are waiting on a replacement crew because our original crew will have been on duty for too long. Around 16:55 we are told we need to board the plane as quickly as possible so we can use the original flight crew and we must be ready to depart in 38 minutes or the original crew will go "illegal" and we will have to spend the night in Dallas. Mad scramble ensues to board the plane, two passengers leave their phones behind and need to go back to find them. One passenger retrieves her phone and the second passenger's phone is found on the plane under her seat at 17:25.

At 17:35 the announcement is made that we must deplane from this second plane as a hydraulic leak was discovered during the walkthrough and our flight crew is now "illegal". We are told AA has started the process of calling in a backup crew while they work on the plane. The backup crew has 2 or 2.5 hours to come in. We are given meal vouchers. Estimated departure time is now 20:45.

At 20:30 we are informed the second plane will not be able to fly and are given instructions to report to a third gate where another plane awaits us for boarding. The gate agent walks an angry mob to the third gate with no plane present. The third plane eventually arrives and we are told the departure time is now 21:30. Boarding occurs for the 21:30 departure when we are informed the overseas check still needs to be performed. Finally...departure from the gate occurs at 22:00 and we arrive in Maui at 00:39.

Our rental car agency (Enterprise) is closed for the night, but has arrangements with Alamo for us to pick up a car from them. However, since our contract was prepaid, we can only rent from Alamo for 1 day and need to return the car within 24 hours to pickup another car from Enterprise for the remainder of our reservation period...50 minutes travel time each way along with 20 minutes at Alamo and Enterprise.

Compensation: Wife and I both receive an unsolicited email the next day from AA advising we will be credited 9000 miles.

Would this be considered fair compensation?
Old May 21, 2013, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by kiyotaka
We (my wife & I) had award biz class flt (30k each) from UIO to LGA layover in MIA on 5/15. 1st leg delayed by 10.5 hrs (8:45 am to 7:15 pm, not caused by the weather), consequently the 2nd leg had to be on 5/16 after a night accommodation in MIA DoubleTree (checked in 3 am on 5/16). We selected 3:45 pm MIA to LGA flt which was the same flt as the original which arrived in LGA @ 7 pm on 5/16. We took this flt to get enough rest in MIA. But this flt had only 1 F seat so my wife took it & I took Y seat. None of the MIA – LGA flts before 3:45 pm had 2 F seats available.

Few points of complaint other than 24 hrs delay & 1 down-grade seat:
1. Rebooking in UIO took over 3 hrs in queue by 1 gate agent (should be more);
2. lunch on 5/15 was provided by Quito Hilton which was 1.5 hr bus ride o/w (should be closer to the a/p);
3. after the immigration & custom @ MIA, we waited over 1 hr for DoubleTree shuttle bus (should provide more than 1 shuttle bus).
4. there were 3 F seats available which were taken by a mother & 2 kids after flt was started (my wife told me). I did ask about F availability upon check in but was told NO, I didn’t ask @ the gate, I was in AC till the boarding started.

What should be the fair composition & the best way to claim it?
I wrote a nice & simple e-mail to AA & received sorry & 15k each for my wife & I as a gesture of goodwill.
Old May 21, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Date: April 5, 2013
AAdvantage Status: EXP
Fare class: O

Bags got lost on a simple direct DFW-LIT Eagle flight for 2 days. And then, they were delivered to the wrong hotel, to boot. Not wanting to chance it, I decided to just go to the other hotel to grab my bag. I got routed to a supervisor when I called AA to inform them of the delivery screw up and annouce my intention to pick it up myself. Supervisor apologized profusely and offered me a $250 voucher. I was pretty statisfied.
Old May 22, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Starwood Platinum 50 Nights
Date and Flight info: May 19, Dept. ~7:30 PM LAS-LAX-BOS Arr. ~6:00 AM
AAdvantage status: Platinum
Fare class: N

What happened: LAS-LAX was delayed one hour for mechanical failure, leading to an incompatible connection on to BOS. FA checked me in through LAX despite delay already posting (it said 8:30 on my ticket), as the airport still had 7:35. Gate agent said they had decided "not to delay the flight"...called AAdvantage, they had 8:30 on their system, and weren't sure why LAS had different. Finally, one hour later, delay posts on the airport monitors, and AAdvantage confirmed me on 2 different awful itineraries before finally booking me on a JetBlue nonstop. AAdvantage said I needed a gate agent for a ticket, but none were to be found at the terminal, so back on the tram through security to the T1 check-in counter. Finally get confirmed on B6 LAS-BOS nonstop at 11 PM, but checked bag could not be found (it showed up in BOS next day and was delivered to my apartment). Haul myself over to T3 (to baggage claim, underground to "zero level", on public bus, over to T3 arrivals level, through the cavern) to check in with B6. The flight is ultimately delayed another 30 minutes, giving me a total additional 4 hours to enjoy McCarran. Got into BOS two hours after original scheduled time.

Compensation: $150 and as-ticketed mileage.
- Requested $100 ($50 for Even More Space upgrade on B6, $50 for cab ride home) and as-ticketed mileage, was granted the additional $50 for inconvenience.

Comments: Honestly, while the on-the-ground show at McCarran left much to be desired, AAdvantage and Customer Service took better care of me than I expected. No complaints on my end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.