Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible AA experience vent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by nrr
Is there a requirement that beverages (for OP's 11:00 pm flt.) be "catered"? Couldn't they have transferred some "stuff" from one of the AC's to the plane? Or even purchased items from one of the Hudson News concessions? [I've read somewhere here on FT, of an instance where the pilot ordered a pizza delivery to a plane, when pax had an extended wait at a gate due to some irregularity.]
OT but the AC's are considered an independent business unit of AMR. They can't just "XFER" some stuff to cater a plane, not to mention the fact that the items need to fit in the plane's carts safely.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tarheel99
The LSE has a very slow, thorough process for "marking" an exam, so I won't know the grades for another couple of months.

Thanks again.
A couple of months? There's feedback for you.

In addition to the many other useful things that I'm sure you are learning at the LSE, you have learned that when flying, there is a small but greater than zero chance that you won't arrive when you had planned to arrive. This can be a valuable addition to your store of knowledge which will serve you well in the future.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Catered food & beverage as well as associated supplies (cups, napkins) are loaded in FAA-approved carts which are locked into the galleys for taxi, takeoff and landing. Can't just stack a couple of cases of Pepsi on the floor and hand out the cans.

It seems bureaucratic until there's turbulence and someone gets bonked by a flying can.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:28 am

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with AA.
In my experience, AA has been pretty good at dealing with problems [if you have AA status] and crew generally goes above and beyond even in economy.

Now, it looks like AA tried to resolve the original problem, but it resulted in domino effect at JFK. Post-Sandy NYC was a mess, I traveled from JFK the first day they resumed flights and saw a number of people camping out/sleeping in common areas.

I would think you definitely entitled at some kind of compensation from AA (cash, miles, or refund of original ticket). Email them through web complaint form.

Good luck.

p.s. would LSE be understanding about your situation and allow you to take a make up exam?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:05 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by JnsV
If there was nonzero inventory and AA could issue the ticket using that inventory, BA cannot contest the credibility of the reservation. BA may very well accept reservations for an already oversold flight.

To provide an example: In a recent IROPS situation at LHR when BA dumped tons of (esp. business, since Y pax could not reach the counters at all) pax to LH, the LHR-FRA LH flight was overbooked by 14 pax in C two hours before the scheduled departure. At the first attempt the check-in agent could not check me in because of this, but about 5 minutes later a configuration change showed up in the system and the C class section was extended to accommodate the extra pax. BA probably deliberately oversold the flight anticipating last minute no shows.
Interline inventory is not "real time". I have sold booked many a ticket for travel within 24 hours without calling the carrier up 1st to verify that they had inventory, issued a doccument, only to have the reservation return (sometimes a matter of a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes, with some carriers on the other side of the globe (BR, or EVA airlines comes to mind as one that confirms/rejects very slowly) with older systems, as much as 24 hours later) as unconfirmed. Once the record is ended after selling the segment, the systems send a request to the other airline's systems to request that space, which can return as confirmed or rejected. It is common practice in the industry, when booking immediate (within 24 hours) inventory from another carrier to call the other carrier 1st to request the space (or as I do, book it first as inventory may be decreasing rappidly as others are getting rebooked on the same flight, then call right after) prior to sending the passenger to that carrier.

An immediate confirmation from carrier a about carrier b's reservation is not a confirmation from carrier b.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - Catered food & beverage as well as associated supplies (cups, napkins) are loaded in FAA-approved carts which are locked into the galleys for taxi, takeoff and landing. Can't just stack a couple of cases of Pepsi on the floor and hand out the cans.

It seems bureaucratic until there's turbulence and someone gets bonked by a flying can.
In my experience, the carts with the new drinks, etc are brought on to replace carts that are already on the plane. So, the stuff wouldn't have to sit on the floor, it could be put into the carts already on the plane. Of course, there is the issue of the ability to get stuff from the AC or a store in the concourse. That said, I find this amazing.

1. Given the cost of jet fuel (not to mention the environmental issues), couldn't the excess have been pumped out of the plane, rather than flying around burning it off? Surely the pilot knew before he took off, after flying the short distance, he would have way too much fuel to land.

2. AA knew the plane was being exchanged and had time to stock it before the lav challenged plane landed and offloaded the passengers.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:47 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mvoight
1. Given the cost of jet fuel (not to mention the environmental issues), couldn't the excess have been pumped out of the plane, rather than flying around burning it off? Surely the pilot knew before he took off, after flying the short distance, he would have way too much fuel to land.
Fueling a plane is easy...it comes from tanks that are pressurized underground to flow into a plane, and each gate has direct access to a tank with many "conduit" trucks throughout the airport. Offloading fuel is a very slow process and requires a special truck which are not in high supply. I've never seen a defueling operation ever take less than an hour from the time the decision was made, until it was done (requesting a defueing truck, getting one, and having the process completed.) And as for environmental issues, it's a good question, but jetf fuel recycling isn't something that is as convienent as just repump it into another aircraft. I read the procedures needed once (a long time ago) and I don't remember the details, but from what I recall, it was not something that was eceonomicaly feasable in most situations.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:09 pm

So if the plane can't fly to LHR due to lavatories, why fuel it for TATL in the first place?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by djibouti
So if the plane can't fly to LHR due to lavatories, why fuel it for TATL in the first place?
Might have been already fueled for TATL when they realized WC issues
Old Dec 27, 2012, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
p.s. would LSE be understanding about your situation and allow you to take a make up exam?
I made a few frantic calls and emails to my programme director and programme administrator while stranded at JFK.

They told me that "I had to get there in time for the exams." Apparently, they are only given once every 6 months and I could be prevented from continuing in the program if I failed to take the exams.

The LSE is hard core about its exam security process, so that doesn't surprise me at all.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I don't understand the captain not getting on the horn and saying we have people who need to get there so we're leaving soon with or without catering, so if that botheres you grab something at the food court right now or just deplane and rebook (which I have experienced more than once, but not over water). But I really don't understand not being in place for finals a week early.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jayer
I don't understand the captain not getting on the horn and saying we have people who need to get there so we're leaving soon with or without catering, so if that botheres you grab something at the food court right now or just deplane and rebook (which I have experienced more than once, but not over water). But I really don't understand not being in place for finals a week early.
I would be surprised if a pilot decided to do a transatlantic flight without catering

I think that planning to be at destination a day earlier than necessary shows reasonable planning. ru really suggesting that soneone should allow a week to get from Raleigh to London when going by aeroplane on a commercial service?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:42 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Which AA department would be responsible for making sure a fully stocked plane was ready to depart at JFK after the inbound from RDU arrived? Cause they screwed up big time since it sounds like they had 3+ hours to get their ducks in order.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by tarheel99
The LSE is hard core about its exam security process, so that doesn't surprise me at all.
Pretty much every UK institution works this way, unfortunately; I never knew anyone to be allowed to take make-up exams. Then again, part of the purposely deliberative process of grading is to "adjust" for known issues. While it would be difficult to adjust away a completely missing exam, once you have turned something in allowances can be made, more in light of your history in the program than because of the specific circumstances surrounding your exam, especially as a grad student. Much harder to do so with undergraduate courses, I wrote the answer sheet to the intro to Macro and Micro class at LSE many years ago and there were 5 or 6 of us TAing the course and grading stackfuls of exams. We weren't going to be particular about how we graded them or we'd be there six months, never mind two

Moral of the story, as many have already said, however cautious you think you are being, be more so in future, always. Just not worth it. I think you have good reason to request compensation; even so, the realities of air travel these days are what they are ... I just came off a flight experience last week which damn near screwed up the whole, business purpose of the trip with a ridiculous two hour delay due to two separate, laughably silly incidents. All flights around my own were packed, and there was no working around the issue. It happens all too often these days, and the better airlines get at running flights at full capacity, the harder it's going to be to find relief when something goes wrong.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MarkedMan

Moral of the story, as many have already said, however cautious you think you are being, be more so in future, always
At what point is enough. Those allowing a few hours to catch a flight on a separate booking or heading for a cruise etc can resonably be claimed to have not been sensible in their allowance

Someone planning to arrive the morning before they have their important engagement have, imo, been quite reasonable and sensible in planning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.