FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Have you began mapping out EXP requalification strategy for 2013? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1420233-have-you-began-mapping-out-exp-requalification-strategy-2013-a.html)

iridge Dec 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Have you began mapping out EXP requalification strategy for 2013?

2013 is fast approaching and so far it seems the DEQM promotions are a thing of 2012- nothing except of high fare EUR promotion in terms of any bonuses for JAN.

I usually have 55-65K miles of paid travel on AA and then do 2-3 international trips on my own dime for vacations on cheapest fares (but usually try AA to use SWUs or oneworld for eqm/rdm). Thanks to all the promotions first early and then at the end of the year, 2012 was a piece of cake.

Considering that status of DEQM promotions next year is unknown, and in general there are many unknowns about AA and AAdvantage program, do you think doing several MRs early in the year (Jan/Feb) at approx 5cpm/eqm to make up the difference and guarantee another year of EXP is worth it?

With all the promotions and UA status matching, upgrades will definitely be harder to come by next year, equipment upgrades with smaller biz cabins will not help much either.

Thinking if it's wise to invest in MRs on AA to stay top tier vs. perhaps start looking elsewhere since for my international trips *A or even DL is a much better fit and is usually much cheaper than OneWorld.

Your thoughts....

brp Dec 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by iridge (Post 19907485)
Your thoughts....

My thoughts? You should decide what travel pattern works best for you and go with it. The decisions someone else makes are unlikely to be relevant to you. All of our travel is personal, so we do 100K+ of discretionary travel. That works fkr us, May not work for others.

There's really a lot of discussion about the merits of the various status levels. Not sure what yet another thread on the same topic will bring out.

Cheers.

Thunderroad Dec 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by iridge (Post 19907485)
2013 is fast approaching and so far it seems the DEQM promotions are a thing of 2012- nothing except of high fare EUR promotion in terms of any bonuses for JAN.

I usually have 55-65K miles of paid travel on AA and then do 2-3 international trips on my own dime for vacations on cheapest fares (but usually try AA to use SWUs or oneworld for eqm/rdm). Thanks to all the promotions first early and then at the end of the year, 2012 was a piece of cake.

Considering that status of DEQM promotions next year is unknown, and in general there are many unknowns about AA and AAdvantage program, do you think doing several MRs early in the year (Jan/Feb) at approx 5cpm/eqm to make up the difference and guarantee another year of EXP is worth it?

With all the promotions and UA status matching, upgrades will definitely be harder to come by next year, equipment upgrades with smaller biz cabins will not help much either.

Thinking if it's wise to invest in MRs on AA to stay top tier vs. perhaps start looking elsewhere since for my international trips *A or even DL is a much better fit and is usually much cheaper than OneWorld.

Your thoughts....

By all means stay away from UA unless your travel patterns absolutely demand it. It's an ongoing royal mess. From what I've read about DL and its FF program, it's also not worth switching to.

My best guess - and it's only that- is that AA will remain the best FF program and airline for many though certainly not all travel needs through at least 2013 and quite possibly into 2014, since any US merger will take time to play out in terms of its impact on the FF program, etc.

As for mileage runs early in the year...why not wait to at least see if AA offers DEQM or some promo at some point in 2013? And even if there is no such promo, if you do the mileage runs after the winter you're less likely to run into lousy weather and concomitant delays.

tom911 Dec 22, 2012 8:54 pm

I have 3 turnarounds to TPA and another 3 turnarounds to BDL over Jan and Feb. Also have a weekend DCA trip. I blocked two weeks in each of those months for a 7-10 day Europe trip but haven't seen any fares from SFO for under $850 to LHR and $900 anywhere else (MAD and LIS come to mind). FRA is running around $1,100 which has to be a record high for winter travel.

Still hoping someone starts a winter sale to Europe. If nothing in the next 10 days, I'll bite the bullet and pay $900 for a Jan Europe trip. If all these trips fall into place, I'll have something over 60K to jump start the year. This is a pretty normal pattern for me.

Tom enjoying New York City today

AA-Flyer-SAN Dec 22, 2012 9:50 pm

I have some heavy traveling in January - with trips to Peru, Morocco, and Germany. Plus two transcons and one to DFW. I got my fingers crossed they extend the DEQM into January. If not, it will at least keep me way ahead for the year.

lakers6902 Dec 23, 2012 1:13 am

As long as I make plat again this coming year, I'lll be happy. Highly doubt I'll ever make EXP

terminator33 Dec 23, 2012 4:40 am

Just made EXP for the first time because of all the DEQM promotions and I doubt I'll ever make it again. I don't even want to think about trying to qualify again next year. Of course that my change if the benefits are as good as everyone claims.

Mark_T Dec 23, 2012 4:42 am

Fly when I need to, re-qualify at some point during they year, not much strategy involved for me thankfully :)

Dallas49er Dec 23, 2012 5:25 am

The question is: Have you begun mapping out EXP requalification strategy for 2013?

My answer is yes. From '03 through '11, I made it on anywhere from 100 to 154 segments a year. I retired in December of '11, but through a combination of European vacations, traveling with my wife on her business, and DEQM, requalified on EQM.

I'm coming out of retirement a/o 1/1/13. With no guarantee of DEQM, my plan is to average 9 segments per month, almost all on business. 8 segments are booked for January, so it looks like, to quote Gene Autrey, "I'm back in the saddle again!". :D

TheBOSman Dec 23, 2012 7:07 am

Have you began mapping out EXP requalification strategy for 2013?

Oh I wish I were going anywhere interesting like Europe, or NYC, or even at least somewhere warm like TPA! I have three trips to GCK (Garden City, KS) coming up in January. Staying a night for one trip, and the other two are same day same plane turns. Two trips to PDX after that, then I'm open until a really good MR comes up.

bcj1949 Dec 23, 2012 7:17 am

Timely thread

Yes indeed I'm planning for 2013! Switched over to mostly DL in 2012 after AA cancelations/delays etc and made DM. I'm thinking however to move back to AA because I'm a 2 MM PLT, like the planes and the new ones coming in and the overall professionalism of AA (until some recent bumps). My only hesitation is how the potential merger works or the new AA stand alone company looks. While I have upgraded most of the time with DL their SWU's are worthless unless you plan way ahead but even that has not worked. Again my planning is focused on re-engaging the "new AA."

AAbruflyer Dec 23, 2012 8:53 am

Doing one BUD-JFK-PVG-ORD-LHR mid jan and in feb one BRU-EZE-BRU netting about 43 K. Then based on business might throw 2/3 other South american runs

Spock Seat Dec 23, 2012 9:06 am

Family and Business in Japan from BOS on Dreamliner would be forever.

Spock Seat

scnzzz Dec 23, 2012 9:08 am

Probably six to eight SFO-MUC RTs in C this year - debating between BA (if I can get R fares) via LHR or UA/LH via FRA. The US rumors really have me spooked and am debating the wisdom of flaunting company policy to stay with OW.

Three to four RTs to GSP in Y (with slim UG changes, naturally, given the plethora of P fares and company lowest-Y policy) and perhaps one or two other domestic destinations should get me the minimum four segments on AA metal. Or UA metal - depending. Don't think I can get to both EXP and 1K.

Fingers crossed for either an independent AA (hope springs eternal even as the light fades...), or at least a relatively intact AAdvantage post-merger.

236Dakota Dec 23, 2012 9:15 am

I've got 51,000 AA EQMs booked through May. I'm concerned about the merger, so concerned that I can't believe I'm considering a UA 1K backup plan after re-qualifying for EXP.:confused: