Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Have you began mapping out EXP requalification strategy for 2013?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you began mapping out EXP requalification strategy for 2013?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
If I requalify, that's great; if I don't, it's not the end of the world. 90% of my AA flying is either international or one-class Eagle. LTP is a satisfactory fallback, assuming it's not disrupted by an AA/US merger.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
162 all in baby Eagles? That will be tough to swallow, let alone mainlines...
Half and half. I fly out once a week, and since I have to go through DFW every time, it works out to a minimum of 4 segments per trip. In 2011 I had about 120 segments on AA and about 48 on United. This year I had 88 on AA and 48 on United:

YTD Elite Qualifying Points 52,388
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 102,702
YTD Elite Qualifying Segments 88
Miles with Expiration Deferred Through Jun 22, 2014 45,258

Next year it will be more.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I will not be requalifying. I'm due in late March, then on maternity leave, and after that a significant reduction in work-related travel. I will fall to Plat in February and then stay there thanks to lifetime status
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
I requalified by Feb last year, so that took care of me for 2012 & 2013. My delimma is whether to requal again in 2013 for next year, or wait until Jan again and do it for 2014 & 2015. I supose it depends on any killer fares or DEQM offers. I'm unlikely to get much business travel this year.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Originally Posted by tom911
I have 3 turnarounds to TPA and another 3 turnarounds to BDL over Jan and Feb. Also have a weekend DCA trip. I blocked two weeks in each of those months for a 7-10 day Europe trip but haven't seen any fares from SFO for under $850 to LHR and $900 anywhere else (MAD and LIS come to mind). FRA is running around $1,100 which has to be a record high for winter travel.

Still hoping someone starts a winter sale to Europe. If nothing in the next 10 days, I'll bite the bullet and pay $900 for a Jan Europe trip. If all these trips fall into place, I'll have something over 60K to jump start the year. This is a pretty normal pattern for me.

Tom enjoying New York City today
I'm in your boat. Looking for two trips in Jan/Feb to use expiring eVips from LAX-Europe -- I would like to hit London/Berlin/Madrid/Dublin/ or LAX-Santiago/Buenos Aires -- but the fares are as high as I can remember for this time of year. Usually you can find $600-700 fares or lower but right now it is so high.

Also, has anyone tried to get the 15,000 redeemables on the LAX-LHR route for a reasonable fare (I know it is not available for lowest fare code)...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Originally Posted by iridge
If you are in LA, there is a consulate where you can get the visa on the same day. At least that's how it was a couple of years back. It's located near Wilshire & Vermont.
You can't get one anymore same day -- it's a few days wait which means two trips! Also the wait can be several hours as you are dealing with horrible Chinese efficiency. On the plus side -- great restaurants nearby.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, AS MVPG, AR PLT,SPG GOLD
Booked 37k miles so far for 2013. The real opportunities have been out of NYC or LAX. Only several ORD routes via AS. But I have faith. Hope the DEQM is extended till February.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Biblioman1
I requalified by Feb last year, so that took care of me for 2012 & 2013. My delimma is whether to requal again in 2013 for next year, or wait until Jan again and do it for 2014 & 2015. I supose it depends on any killer fares or DEQM offers. I'm unlikely to get much business travel this year.
On the same boat. I figure that I would do it Jan-Feb 2014. Even if I have to pay double, I still can take care of 2014 and 2015. If I do it in 2013, it will only take care of 2014. Although you only get one set of miles and EVIPs, but can save half the time flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.