Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Have you began mapping out EXP requalification strategy for 2013?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you began mapping out EXP requalification strategy for 2013?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
As I said this is the first and only one I have ever done and I weighed the cost of the LA roundtrip vs. getting the SWU's and the SWU's won (I use them to upgrade from "I" to "A" on TATL and TPAC). Everything else this year was just my normal travel and I wouldn't have come close without the DEQP scheme at the end of this year. I also never saw MRs as a good idea, still don't in most cases.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I've got 95K miles scheduled already. As soon as (and if hopefully) AA loads DFW/ANC in the system it will top me over when I book for summer. Of all of this, only two are MRs and even that one trip I am going to check out The Mall of America as MSP.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
No strategy yet, but I still have a handful of expiring SWUs so ideally, I would like to use them on a couple of international mileage runs in Jan./Feb. The problem is I'm moving in Jan., which then makes my available time even tighter. I'm hoping that I can find a good one or two with confirmable C inventory on short notice in Feb. but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:48 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mathlete
No strategy yet, but I still have a handful of expiring SWUs so ideally, I would like to use them on a couple of international mileage runs in Jan./Feb. The problem is I'm moving in Jan., which then makes my available time even tighter. I'm hoping that I can find a good one or two with confirmable C inventory on short notice in Feb. but I'm not holding my breath.
If you are interested in visiting China in Feb there is plenty of C inventory on Tues, Wed, Thu for ORD-PVG in Feb and the fares are very reasonable as well...and it's the longest route on AA metal
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
Originally Posted by iridge
If you are interested in visiting China in Feb there is plenty of C inventory on Tues, Wed, Thu for ORD-PVG in Feb and the fares are very reasonable as well...and it's the longest route on AA metal
The visa issue has always scared me off...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Shhhh, don't let my secret out. Saw the fares and were impressed. How long does the visa process in that take?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 3:48 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sm82
Shhhh, don't let my secret out. Saw the fares and were impressed. How long does the visa process in that take?
If you are in LA, there is a consulate where you can get the visa on the same day. At least that's how it was a couple of years back. It's located near Wilshire & Vermont.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 5:13 pm

2013 is fast approaching and so far it seems the DEQM promotions are a thing of 2012- nothing except of high fare EUR promotion in terms of any bonuses for JAN.

I usually have 55-65K miles of paid travel on AA and then do 2-3 international trips on my own dime for vacations on cheapest fares (but usually try AA to use SWUs or oneworld for eqm/rdm). Thanks to all the promotions first early and then at the end of the year, 2012 was a piece of cake.

Considering that status of DEQM promotions next year is unknown, and in general there are many unknowns about AA and AAdvantage program, do you think doing several MRs early in the year (Jan/Feb) at approx 5cpm/eqm to make up the difference and guarantee another year of EXP is worth it?

With all the promotions and UA status matching, upgrades will definitely be harder to come by next year, equipment upgrades with smaller biz cabins will not help much either.

Thinking if it's wise to invest in MRs on AA to stay top tier vs. perhaps start looking elsewhere since for my international trips *A or even DL is a much better fit and is usually much cheaper than OneWorld.

Your thoughts....
Choose what you can fly, and where you can fly, stick with it, then you are good. This could be the first year for me to grab 100k EQP by flying 66.7k EQM by March. We will see how things turn out soon enough. However, if I choose to qualify with EQPs, then it will still be around 90k BIS away from crossing 1MM. I simply can't fly that much internationally after June, so I have my limitations.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Dec 24, 2012 at 5:32 pm
Old Dec 25, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/Admiral's Club; Amex Platinum; AA Citi Executive; SPG Gold
If you are in LA, there is a consulate where you can get the visa on the same day. At least that's how it was a couple of years back. It's located near Wilshire & Vermont.
I would recommend going with an agency to take care of the formalities at the consulate if you don't want to waste a great deal of time (and you have the money). I "stopped by" the consulate before visiting China last year and I ended up waiting 3 hours to drop off the passport then I came back in a week to pick it up. Last time I visited China, I used a Beverly Hills agency that charged just over $100 which I found great value for avoiding the hassle.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:48 am

At a minimum, I will have to fly 162 segments for work. EXP is not a problem.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by docr775
162 all in baby Eagles? That will be tough to swallow, let alone mainlines...
Old Dec 25, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Ouch. Qualifying the hard way. Props to you for surviving this.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

I thought 74+2 JL+1 B6 was a lot for the year. Big props, that's over 3 every week!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:11 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Maybe I have OCD but I always map out my EXP strategy for the year, well in advance. Whenever it makes financial sense, I try to fly extra miles and segments (e.g.DFW-PHX-LAX instead of DFW-LAX) early in the year, in order to qualify earlier. After I qualify, I gain a lot more freedom for the rest of the year, i.e. I can burn miles, qualify on another airline, fly the cheapest carrier, fly AA to get the EXP benefits, etc. Until I qualify I don't feel like I have a whole lot of options.

I also map out my hotel and car-rental strategy as well, as these also involve qualifying.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Given the normally long haul nature of my flying (at least historically), strategies for flights leading to EXP would be easy.

Alas, given the historical self-funded nature of the flying, a recent change in employment circumstances, funding would now involve access to a very improbable lottery ticket. But one can hope and LTG is not that far away.

Any recommendation for a better strategy?

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.