Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Booking from PHL -> SEA (stop) -> KIX, coming up as two flights rather than a stopver

Booking from PHL -> SEA (stop) -> KIX, coming up as two flights rather than a stopver

Old Dec 22, 12, 3:02 am
Original Poster

I want to fly from PHL to KIX with a stop over in Seattle.

Seattle is an international gateway city so I thought I could get a free stop-over. However, when I try to book this on the AA website I am getting it coming up as two separate flights (each costing their own set of miles).

Anyone know why this would be? Is it because part of the SEA to KIX leg (TPE->KIX) is not on AA but rather on JAL?

Thank you!
Old Dec 22, 12, 4:50 am

SEA is not a gateway city because AA and JAL doesn't operate any SEA-Asia flight.
Old Dec 22, 12, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
SEA is not a gateway city because AA and JAL doesn't operate any SEA-Asia flight.
Thanks for the reply.

I thought it was a gateway city of any carriers in the alliance offered an international flight. Mile Value lists it as an International Gateway City for its BA flight from Seattle to London:

http://milevalue.com/a-list-of-all-p...vantage-miles/
Old Dec 22, 12, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by evthu View Post
I thought it was a gateway city of any carriers in the alliance offered an international flight. Mile Value lists it as an International Gateway City for its BA flight from Seattle to London[/url]
It is an int'l gateway to Europe but not Asia. If your award was XXX-SEA-LHR for example, then you could stopover at SEA.

JL does offer YVR-NRT service, so you could potentially do PHL-YVR, stopover, then YVR-NRT-KIX. That assumes it satisfies various award routing requirements, etc.
Old Dec 22, 12, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
It is an int'l gateway to Europe but not Asia. If your award was XXX-SEA-LHR for example, then you could stopover at SEA.

JL does offer YVR-NRT service, so you could potentially do PHL-YVR, stopover, then YVR-NRT-KIX. That assumes it satisfies various award routing requirements, etc.
Sound right. Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 12, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post

I just found this post on Mile Value:
http://milevalue.com/the-five-cardin...rlines-awards/

It says that the "gateway city" at which you take a stopover has to be the actual one you are going to be flying out of. Is that correct?

For example, can I not do:

SEA-PHL (stopover) PHL-OHR-LON (destination) LON-SEA

Note that I am stopping over in PHL (which is an international gateway city) but not actually flying out internationally of it, I am flying out of OHR.
Old Dec 23, 12, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned

You can do a stopover only at the city where you arrive/depart North America

Search this Thread