Wiki Posts
Search

Stand-by / upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton Honors-PLT Admirals Club
Stand-by / upgrade question

I am at the San Jose airport and a flight to lax I tried to get on today left with 1st class seats open. I was on a Y ticket and offered to use one of my 500 mile upgrades, he basically ignored me and left an EXP and a myself (plt) with out an option. Is it possible to fly standby on a Y ticket and upgrade to first with a 500 mile upgrade?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by valuepac
I am at the San Jose airport and a flight to lax I tried to get on today left with 1st class seats open. I was on a Y ticket and offered to use one of my 500 mile upgrades, he basically ignored me and left an EXP and a myself (plt) with out an option. Is it possible to fly standby on a Y ticket and upgrade to first with a 500 mile upgrade?
That is odd. I have been upgraded in such situations.
Are you saying the gate agent didn't answer you when you were asking if an upgrade was available?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It sounds like Y was full but F was open, and you were unable to clear standby at all.

You need to clear into Y before you can be upgraded, so technically, the GA was going by the book. But more helpful/creative GAs in this situation have been known to make it work, to somehow temporarily clear a Y seat for you to pass thru en route to F.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:16 pm

Are you saying one seat in F went open, and the EXP didn't get it?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Was the GA a guy named Pete?

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Was the GA a guy named Pete?

Cheers.
Hey now! Pete spreads his special brand of sunshine on the morning shift, not evenings.

I have noticed the afternoon shifts tend to be staffed by the B-team, so I'm with swag's assessment of the situation .
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by appleblossom
Hey now! Pete spreads his special brand of sunshine on the morning shift, not evenings.

I have noticed the afternoon shifts tend to be staffed by the B-team, so I'm with swag's assessment of the situation .
Yeah, I figured it was unlikely as I only see Pete in the morning. Still, it sounded very familiar, and I wasn't sure exactly what time the OP was really there

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.