Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Got bumped to EXP while being short of miles, points and segments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got bumped to EXP while being short of miles, points and segments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
That's awesome, and glad to hear it for you. I also got a bump to EXP overnight, however I had just wrapped up segments 100 and 101 as of yesterday.

What's a bit more disturbing to me is that I paid for 4 segment runs on my own to ensure I would get it, and it's freely given anyways.

Congrats.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by 1pRoscoe
That's awesome, and glad to hear it for you. I also got a bump to EXP overnight, however I had just wrapped up segments 100 and 101 as of yesterday.

What's a bit more disturbing to me is that I paid for 4 segment runs on my own to ensure I would get it, and it's freely given anyways.

Congrats.
it's always a risk taken when you're spending money to get benefits.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Maybe not! I fly out of Singapore on OW paid F. I've spent $43K+ in 2012 flying a mix of Cathay, BA and AA. I have 87,133 EQP and only 16 segments. With all the special EXP promotions, I have written CS twice asking for a pump to EXP based on spend. They basically told me to go pound sand.

I am a lifetime 2MM Platinum. So my guess is they don't really care or want my business. I can't figure it out.

Originally Posted by grahampros
You hint as why it's not a random as many may think. Although not an official part of the AAdvantage program, they are tracking spend as well. They long ago figured out there is big difference between someone who get's to millage balance for the year vs what they actually spent to do so.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by mach92
Maybe not! I fly out of Singapore on OW paid F. I've spent $43K+ in 2012 flying a mix of Cathay, BA and AA. I have 87,133 EQP and only 16 segments. With all the special EXP promotions, I have written CS twice asking for a pump to EXP based on spend. They basically told me to go pound sand.

I am a lifetime 2MM Platinum. So my guess is they don't really care or want my business. I can't figure it out.
That's a spend that certainly gets the attention of AA, but how much of it was on AA metal?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:30 am

I'd say 28K via JAL code share to NRT then DFW/ORD/MIA

All the other flights on BA or CX were booked on AA.com

Originally Posted by george 3
That's a spend that certainly gets the attention of AA, but how much of it was on AA metal?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT

Why do you feel that you're entitled to EXP? You asked for an exception apparently based on your being 2MM lifetime and 2012 cash spend. You earned the 2MM status for flights which you flew long ago and you have already been rewarded for that flying. Your 2012 cash spend isn't outrageously large, a non-trivial portion of it wasn't on AA, and a lot of your EQPs were obtained not by flying that much but through special multiplier promotions. Unless I'm missing something, I would have been surprised if they made an exception for you.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Dec 22, 2012 at 6:31 am
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:10 am

I never said I was entitled I just asked. AA seems to give away EXP like candy on Halloween now.

I do feel after over $40,000 spend, I should get some LOVE! In the end it's all business. I have a choice so does AA.

I have moved my business to SQ and Star Alliance. As you pointed out I have 2MM on AA so they really don't care.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Why do you feel that you're entitled to EXP? You asked for an exception apparently based on your being 2MM lifetime and 2012 cash spend. You earned the 2MM status for flights which you flew long ago and you have already been rewarded for that flying. Your 2012 cash spend isn't outrageously large, a non-trivial portion of it wasn't on AA, and a lot of your EQPs were obtained not by flying that much but through special multiplier promotions. Unless I'm missing something, I would have been surprised if they made an exception for you.

Last edited by mach92; Dec 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by janetdoe
AA targeting high spenders to give them EXP is much more 'acceptable' than giving EXP to people who flew 50k on deep-discount economy under DEQM promos.
Yes, and AA fully understands this. They have been moving for the past two years (yes even before the BK) to concentrate more on premium flyers. They still want to be attractive to the "average Joe EXP" who requalifies on miles or segments, but they want to attract "more than our share" of high-revenue flyers. So it's expected that when they decide to make exceptions, part of the decision is based on projected future revenue from the customer.

Originally Posted by InPlaneSight
Acts like this from AA really make me pretty angry at them while I spend my time, effort and money to EARN EXP status and then AA gives it away time after time.
How are you earning EXP? Miles, points, or segments? Also, keep in mind that AA needs to attract high-revenue flyers to be profitable and maintain benefits for all of us elites.

Don't be disturbed by it. You paid to guarantee that you'd requalify. Nothing wrong with that. I overpaid because I'll end up with more than 150k EQP, because when I had a few extra 2012 trips plus the DEQP/DEQM promos, but had those not happened I'd have just made it.

AA seems to give away EXP like candy on Halloween now.

I do feel after over 40K I should get some LOVE! In the end it's all business. I have a choice so does AA.

I have moved my business to SQ and Star Alliance. As you pointed out I have 2MM on AA so they really don't care.
AA isn't quite as generous as candy on Halloween; I understand they are targeting customers whom they believe will be high spenders in the future.

As for post-40K love, did you qualify for Gold elite rewards?

If you've moved your business to SQ and Star, then that could be why AA doesn't care about you. If you want to move back, you could always call and talk to them about it.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Yes. If you got EXP by 100K EQP or EQM, or 100 segments, the hard way like all of us, fantastic.

All others that are getting this "EXP bump below the threshold", welcome back to PLT.

Spock Seat.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by karolinatx
Anyone else lucky enough to be the recipient of gifted status this year? My husband's Plat account was mysteriously upgraded to EXP some time in the past day or two, despite being 40k miles short of qualification. Like some of the posters in this thread, he spends $$$ on last-minute refundable fares for business travel, and traveled quite heavily the last quarter of the year. Lucky duck.
Originally Posted by karolinatx
<redacted> the same mysterious EXP bump just happened to my husband.
I never said I was entitled I just asked. AA seems to give away EXP like candy on Halloween now.

I do feel after over 40K I should get some LOVE! In the end it's all business. I have a choice so does AA.

AA have decided that every elite should be EXP now. That much is clear. While they continue to reassure that EXP will retain value, I find the odds of that being true increasingly small.

While I can understand bumps to EXP for ultra high spenders, it boggles the mind that they would do this for folks that are 40k EQM/EPs under the threshold. They've barely qualified for Plat....

I was honestly going to fly all AA next year (I am currently booked exclusively on AA into April), but I think I am going to hedge my bets now. If AA chooses to give away the status I earn every year, I think I'll fly them just barely past 100k next year (which I will have locked in by June), and I think I'll make a run for 1k on UA if for no other reason than to hedge my bets should AA and US merge. I will also be far more price sensitive than I have been in the last few years.

It seems like a big risk now to hitch myself to AA only while they continue to hand out EXP like candy. Just like when I walked from pmCO back then to send a message, the only message AA will understand is if we vote with our feet.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
BTW...those of us here are only a tiny portion of AA's frequent fliers. If we see this many folks get bumps here, it is mindblowing to think how many folks might have been bumped as part of this effort.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
AA have decided that every elite should be EXP now. That much is clear. While they continue to reassure that EXP will retain value, I find the odds of that being true increasingly small.

While I can understand bumps to EXP for ultra high spenders, it boggles the mind that they would do this for folks that are 40k EQM/EPs under the threshold. They've barely qualified for Plat....

I was honestly going to fly all AA next year (I am currently booked exclusively on AA into April), but I think I am going to hedge my bets now. If AA chooses to give away the status I earn every year, I think I'll fly them just barely past 100k next year (which I will have locked in by June), and I think I'll make a run for 1k on UA if for no other reason than to hedge my bets should AA and US merge. I will also be far more price sensitive than I have been in the last few years.

It seems like a big risk now to hitch myself to AA only while they continue to hand out EXP like candy. Just like when I walked from pmCO back then to send a message, the only message AA will understand is if we vote with our feet.
Don't worry, not every Plat got the upgrade. I'm still only a Plat. My numbers:
EQM: 57,553
EQP: 43,091
EQS: 25
So, even with DEQM and TEQM I managed ~.75 EQP/EQM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
URGENT HELP NEEDED: Mileage Run or NOT: Last Day

Dear All,

I have 95500 EQM (and about 60000 EQP). I am based in DFW and had a mileage run planned for tomorrow to LAX to get to 100K. Yeah..yeah.. I get it.. I should not have waited for the last day of the year...

Here is my dilemma. Yesterday I got an email from Suzanne L. Rubin (from AAdvantage) welcoming me to "another year of EXPLAT".

Promptly, 8 more EVIPs showed up in my account with an expiry date of Feb 28, 2014

Now, I am confused. Am I DONE with my requalification? Should I cancel my flight tomorrow?

I am afraid to call the EXPLAT desk, in case someone made a mistake () and is alerted to it by my phone call

Also, I do NOT have any bonus double EQM waiting to post. All my miles for my November trips posted.

So, is this normal? I will say this, if it makes any difference, that I have been EXPLAT for quite a few years and I do spend about $20K - $30K a year with AA. Neither of these two facts is anything spectacular or unique but I am throwing these out as data points.

Please let me know what to do. My flight to LAX is at 8 AM tomorrow. If I don't need to fly, I would be happy to stay home with my lovely family and enjoy the last of my vacation days.

Thanks in advance and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of you! (or Y'all as we say it here in Texas)

Cheers!

Panjabi

Last edited by panjabi; Dec 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
It sounds like a "Done Deal" to me...if you want to play it safe, call the EXP desk and they'll either confirm your status for next year, or say they made a mistake. If they made a mistake, then do the MR. Happy New Year!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by Kaneohe0850
It sounds like a "Done Deal" to me...if you want to play it safe, call the EXP desk and they'll either confirm your status for next year, or say they made a mistake. If they made a mistake, then do the MR. Happy New Year!

Thank you for your reply but calling EXP DESK is the last on my list... I was hoping to get an answer here....

My fear is.. that they will take it away

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.