Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Got bumped to EXP while being short of miles, points and segments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got bumped to EXP while being short of miles, points and segments

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by karolinatx
My husband's Plat account was mysteriously upgraded to EXP some time in the past day or two, despite being 40k miles short of qualification.
Prediction: This thread is about to explode with anger from people who qualified the hard/'real' way.

I wonder how they do this for people that already have EXP status and therefore have no way to tell that their status has been extended to 02/14 instead of 02/13. Is there anyway to tell if this is the case?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
Originally Posted by rikramer
prediction: This thread is about to explode with anger from people who qualified the hard/'real' way.
aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by rikramer
Prediction: This thread is about to explode with anger from people who qualified the hard/'real' way.
Surely they've vented all their spleen on the DEQM threads by now?

AA targeting high spenders to give them EXP is much more 'acceptable' than giving EXP to people who flew 50k on deep-discount economy under DEQM promos.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There was also a 30 segment EXP "reengagement challenge" going on earlier this year. Is it possible you signed up for that and forgot about it?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Surely they've vented all their spleen on the DEQM threads by now?
Ahem, it was TEQM (for us lucky sods in DFW)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: Global Entry, 4MM, Lifetime AAdvantage Platinum
Acts like this from AA really make me pretty angry at them while I spend my time, effort and money to EARN EXP status and then AA gives it away time after time.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA PLATINUM. AC
FYI - I had 86 segments from DFW to XNA at FULL price between $600 and $1200. My total miles for the year was 95K and I was planning on applying my end of year bonus to miles for 2013. Plus I had FULL fare international trips to India - coach about $2600 a pop. Still, I wasn't quite at 100K. I appreciate the EXP Plat as I may have missed it by hundreds of miles, not thousands. Now I don't have to do a mileage run and waste a day.

Thank You AA !
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:57 am

I sent a message to AAdvantage on Facebook
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I didn't get the extra bump from Platinum to EXP despite my 27,000+ EQMs this year. I think I'm going to call customer service, reference this thread and demand that they upgrade me.

Mike
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:54 pm

Last year I was extended PLT again after flying ~45K. This year I am expecting no such luck as I flew 5K on AA and most everything else on UA.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Seems they are deciding to bump some to EXP given the bad history this year. I'it's been done before so it's not that surprising.

Now let all those folks who didn't get the bump whine away
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
AAdvantage is a PROMOTIONAL program

I qualified for EXP four years in a row. Last year I was given the status with 79,000 EQP's: one TATL and two China trips, all business class. This year I requalified by points and miles in November. The enhanced status was (a) appreciated and (b) incentivized me to keep flying American. Dropping me to PLT would have encouraged me to fly another airline as I am already lifetime PLT (two million miler).
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by ORDflyer
I qualified for EXP four years in a row. Last year I was given the status with 79,000 EQP's: one TATL and two China trips, all business class. This year I requalified by points and miles in November. The enhanced status was (a) appreciated and (b) incentivized me to keep flying American. Dropping me to PLT would have encouraged me to fly another airline as I am already lifetime PLT (two million miler).
You hint as why it's not a random as many may think. Although not an official part of the AAdvantage program, they are tracking spend as well. They long ago figured out there is big difference between someone who get's to millage balance for the year vs what they actually spent to do so.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: AA PLATINUM. AC
Originally Posted by grahampros
You hint as why it's not a random as many may think. Although not an official part of the AAdvantage program, they are tracking spend as well. They long ago figured out there is big difference between someone who get's to millage balance for the year vs what they actually spent to do so.
I was wondering about this myself. I have spent at least $100K this year (and the last 2 years) on flights. Unfortunately, it's hard to hit EXP when your segments are 250 miles each.

Also, I had a flight last night and my status still shows Plat on my boarding pass. My account online says EXP. It didn't matter to me much since I was flying on an RJ.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by S3eker

Also, I had a flight last night and my status still shows Plat on my boarding pass. My account online says EXP. It didn't matter to me much since I was flying on an RJ.
You need to call the EXP desk and have them refresh the status on all of the flights you have booked while you were platinum. The automated sweep to do this only runs about once per week (I think Sunday nights), and there is no way for you to tell if it has hit your reservations without calling. This also affects your upgrade priority so it's best to call as soon as your status ticks over.

Edit: this actually is important even on the RJs as, without your new EXP card, the BP is your only "proof" of status so you can get free food/drinks on the flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.