Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging for "premium" J seats - is this a new thing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Charging for "premium" J seats - is this a new thing?

My SWU just cleared for a DFW-NRT flight. There are still quite a few seats available in J. However, it appears the isle seats have a $14 extra fee associated with them. However, I'm unable to select them still.

Is this something new?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
If it is it is not good news. SWU or no SWU, I don't feel as though you should have to pay for a seat allocation in J.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by krazieman
My SWU just cleared for a DFW-NRT flight. There are still quite a few seats available in J. However, it appears the isle seats have a $14 extra fee associated with them. However, I'm unable to select them still.

Is this something new?
Have you called the web services folks to find out if the selection issues are web-related or real? (I'm guessing not or we wouldn't have a new thread on this without that information, but it's always worth asking if the obvious has been tried )

(And, btw, they're aisle seats...unless they're on an island )

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Dec 13, 2012 at 8:40 am
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Have quite a few international trips coming up in J (including NRT). I am just now able to change my seats to whatever seats, including aisle, I want in J without a charge.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I'd pay $14 for a seat on an isle.
Well, depending on which isle, of course.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by krazieman

Is this something new?
It says you get free seat selection as a OW member however so you shouldn't be charged this.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It's incomprehensible to me that someone could pay the thousands of dollar differential to fly J instead of Y, yet be unwilling to cough up another $14 for the seat of their choice. And even upgraders, whether by SWU or miles + copay, $14 seems trivial for such a long flight.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:18 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
I'd pay $14 for a seat on an isle.
Well, depending on which isle, of course.
Elba?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:21 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
It's incomprehensible to me that someone could pay the thousands of dollar differential to fly J instead of Y, yet be unwilling to cough up another $14 for the seat of their choice. And even upgraders, whether by SWU or miles + copay, $14 seems trivial for such a long flight.
It's incomprehensible that an airline would sink so low as to charge for seat assignments in a premium cabin that a customer has paid thousands of dollars for.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by HNL
It's incomprehensible that an airline would sink so low as to charge for seat assignments in a premium cabin that a customer has paid thousands of dollars for.
You mean like BA? I suppose they could be incomprehensible.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HNL
BA does this....and I avoid BA.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HNL
Yet that is exactly what BA did some months ago, looks like AA is following them at last ...

I would hope that the problem the OP reported is just a mistake though as I'd expect an EXP to be exempt in the same was as they are in the BA system.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Do we have any confirmation that this is anything other than a tech glitch?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You mean like BA? I suppose they could be incomprehensible.
Wow, BA really charges people on paid J for seat assignments? How much?

While it's not entirely incomprehensible to me that they would do such a thing, I would hope they'd be charging a lot more than $14. Otherwise it hardly seems worth the annoyance factor.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Wow, BA really charges people on paid J for seat assignments? How much?
$32 for a seat assignment in Club Europe for a short hop (LHR-OSL) for my wife who is AA GLD on a transatlantic first-class award.

(It's even more frustrating for us because I booked the tickets for the two of us in the same PNR and for some unspecified reason AA split PNRs when reissuing the ticket following a sched change, so now I get a free seat and my wife is waiting for check-in to get an assignment without paying).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.