Charging for "premium" J seats - is this a new thing?

Old Dec 14, 12, 8:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post

OP is the only person so far reporting being charged for choosing an aisle seat.
For the moment I'll leave the likely facts (that the OP had some sort of error and seems still not to have vetted the error with the AA people and that this is likely not something real) aside.

Originally Posted by kburges View Post
we should not be like sheep and keep following.
What do you suggest "we" do instead? Look, this is a commodity business, not some sort of constitutional right. If some fast food place started charging for packets of ketchup and others followed suit, would you be up in arms about that? If businesses change their policies to something that you don't like, go somewhere else. If they all do it, just don't patronize that sort of business- don't fly.

I'm all for not being a sheep with respect to rule-following, but I don't see how that applies here. What will you do? Go on strike, write a congressperson?

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 12, 8:37 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
Like I said in my previous post, I have several upcoming flights, including to NRT, in J. I have no problem choosing whatever seat I want in the J cabin, without being charged a penny.

OP is the only person so far reporting being charged for choosing an aisle seat.
^ Yes, unless there are other reports of this, and of people ACTUALLY being charged for certain J seats, I think we can assume this was an IT glitch.

I have checked the seat maps for a number of international flights, and none of them are providing any indication that certain J seats are being blocked as "premium" seats.
Old Dec 14, 12, 8:59 am
Company Representative - American Airlines

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by krazieman View Post
My SWU just cleared for a DFW-NRT flight. There are still quite a few seats available in J. However, it appears the isle seats have a $14 extra fee associated with them. However, I'm unable to select them still.

Is this something new?
We looked into this issue and were unfortunately unable to reproduce. We wanted to reassure you that we do not have an additional charge for pre-reserved seat assignments in Business Class.
Old Dec 14, 12, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines View Post
My SWU just cleared for a DFW-NRT flight. There are still quite a few seats available in J. However, it appears the isle seats have a $14 extra fee associated with them. However, I'm unable to select them still.

Is this something new?
We looked into this issue and were unfortunately unable to reproduce. We wanted to reassure you that we do not have an additional charge for pre-reserved seat assignments in Business Class.
Thank you for clearing that up. Also, thank you for contributing in this space. I really appreciate it, please keep it up.
Old Dec 14, 12, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingTrojan View Post
Thank you for clearing that up. Also, thank you for contributing in this space. I really appreciate it, please keep it up.
It may have just been an error because of the new system.
I went back to my reservation and am able to select the other seats with out the blue/green icon with the additional fee on it.
Old Dec 14, 12, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine View Post
That's what airlines are coming to. A la carte pricing for everything, now to include premium cabins. First will probably never have this, but business is another story. This trend will probably be introduced along the lines of how checked baggage fees were.

I'm opposed to this for any premium cabin, but airlines are adapting to more flexible pricing structures. It doesn't really make sense for AA though because the new 777 layout has aisle access for all J seats.
Then they can charge everyone the fee for an aisle seat. If someone objects, they get a middle seat in coach.
Old Dec 14, 12, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral View Post
As a OWE, I have never paid for the premium J seats (62A/B) on an I fare on BA.
As I did say, having a status of at least sapphire status allows seat selection for free. Since you have Emerald status, you should indeed have full access to seat selection for no charge
Old Dec 14, 12, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, AA LT Pt (2.9 MM), UA Au (meaningless), HH Au, Wyndham Pt
It may have just been an error because of the new system.
I went back to my reservation and am able to select the other seats with out the blue/green icon with the additional fee on it.
OK. False alarm. Whew!

We can now all go back to important topics like the brand of butterscotch on AA sundaes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: