Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging for "premium" J seats - is this a new thing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Everyone at AA not involved in all the new changes or, um, "enhancements" should show up to work tomorrow in an "I'm with stupid" t-shirt.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Wow, BA really charges people on paid J for seat assignments? How much?

While it's not entirely incomprehensible to me that they would do such a thing, I would hope they'd be charging a lot more than $14. Otherwise it hardly seems worth the annoyance factor.
They do not charge for paid J

No charge on full fare business class fares ( J or C )
Charge applies on other business class fares ( such as D,R and I )
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by djk7
I'm with HNL on this. What next, charging for drinks in J?...
- then steak would be +$9.00; chicken would be free, and if your order vegetarian lasagna you will receive $3.00 back via a paper voucher....
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by djk7
I'm with HNL on this. What next, charging for drinks in J?
I believe CO had been charging for "special" drinks in domestic F, but after a lot of complaints, they just stopped offering those drinks.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
I'd pay $14 for a seat on an isle.
Well, depending on which isle, of course.
Desert, Gilligan's for examples.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Blumie
I'd pay $14 for a seat on an isle.
Well, depending on which isle, of course.
Originally Posted by HNL
Elba?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BA does this....and I avoid BA.
That's it! The Brits do send people to Elba against their will. But if you pay for it, it's a different matter!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
That's it! The Brits do send people to Elba against their will. But if you pay for it, it's a different matter!
The problem is, the exilees just want to get out and cause more mischief!

tb
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by brp

(And, btw, they're aisle seats...unless they're on an island )

Cheers.
.....yes, I know, too!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts

a resort fee within the J cabin I guess
That's what airlines are coming to. A la carte pricing for everything, now to include premium cabins. First will probably never have this, but business is another story. This trend will probably be introduced along the lines of how checked baggage fees were.

I'm opposed to this for any premium cabin, but airlines are adapting to more flexible pricing structures. It doesn't really make sense for AA though because the new 777 layout has aisle access for all J seats.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:40 pm

Programs: AAExP(3MM), HHDiamond, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat, United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Wow, BA really charges people on paid J for seat assignments? How much?

While it's not entirely incomprehensible to me that they would do such a thing, I would hope they'd be charging a lot more than $14. Otherwise it hardly seems worth the annoyance factor.
I recently booked a first class award on BA and they let me select my seat on the TATL F segment but told me I could not on the Europe Biz class segment unless I paid a fee. Both segments on BA. Maybe different rules depending on F/J cabin. And maybe AA is following suit?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
The BA rule does have a nice advantage for elites though. The window seats on BA (and to an even greater extent the upper deck windows) are worlds better than the middles.

The policy means that if I book a J ticket a week in advance and still select an excellent seat, if not my favorite seat. This is not possible on AA and other carriers.
And since it is typically the last minute buyers that pay the most, it makes sense that they shouldn't be stuck in the worst seats.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chicago_guy
I recently booked a first class award on BA and they let me select my seat on the TATL F segment but told me I could not on the Europe Biz class segment unless I paid a fee. Both segments on BA. Maybe different rules depending on F/J cabin. And maybe AA is following suit?
All 1st class on BA are eligable for seat selection, so award 1st is fine
Only J and C business class are eligable for selection , so award business (U) is chargeable

Looking at your details though, it seems that you do have at least OW Sapphire status, so if you make sure your number is properly in your booking, the BA system should let you select seats for free
Old Dec 14, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
They do not charge for paid J

No charge on full fare business class fares ( J or C )
Charge applies on other business class fares ( such as D,R and I )
As a OWE, I have never paid for the premium J seats (62A/B) on an I fare on BA.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by HNL
It's incomprehensible that an airline would sink so low as to charge for seat assignments in a premium cabin that a customer has paid thousands of dollars for.
+1 soon they may start charging first class fylers as well, where does it end.
we should not be like sheep and keep following.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Like I said in my previous post, I have several upcoming flights, including to NRT, in J. I have no problem choosing whatever seat I want in the J cabin, without being charged a penny.

OP is the only person so far reporting being charged for choosing an aisle seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.