FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Charging for "premium" J seats - is this a new thing? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1417037-charging-premium-j-seats-new-thing.html)

eeb100k Dec 13, 2012 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 19849331)
I'd pay $14 for a seat on an isle.
Well, depending on which isle, of course.

^

dw Dec 13, 2012 10:02 am

Originally Posted by krazieman (Post 19849237)
My SWU just cleared for a DFW-NRT flight. There are still quite a few seats available in J. However, it appears the isle seats have a $14 extra fee associated with them. However, I'm unable to select them still.

Is this something new?

Hopefully this is just a tech glitch (perhaps evidenced by the fact that the web site won't allow you to select any seat, even the ones with the "fees").

I would point out that though BA does charge for advanced seat allocation (for non-elites), even in J, no other US airline has "premium" seating fees for J or F, so this would be a first.

And secondly, AA doesn't charge elites for the premium seats in Y, so I would find it hard to believe that they would start doing so for J.

norf9 Dec 13, 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by krazieman (Post 19849237)
My SWU just cleared for a DFW-NRT flight. There are still quite a few seats available in J. However, it appears the isle seats have a $14 extra fee associated with them. However, I'm unable to select them still.

Is this something new?

What date/flight number? I want to do a test booking and see if they try to charge me.

Originally Posted by swag (Post 19849570)
It's incomprehensible to me that someone could pay the thousands of dollar differential to fly J instead of Y, yet be unwilling to cough up another $14 for the seat of their choice. And even upgraders, whether by SWU or miles + copay, $14 seems trivial for such a long flight.

Yes, but I think the reasoning is that some people don't care where they sit at all and a nominal charge frees up the seat assignment for those who do. Also, elites don't get charged the fee, so it's more or less a win win for the airline. Of course I always thought the logic behind what AA calls it's preferred seats was a little off but that's probably OT for the thread.

HNL Dec 13, 2012 11:26 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 19849598)
You mean like BA? I suppose they could be incomprehensible. ;)

I don't pay the fees for advanced seat assignments on BA - even for the preferred seats.

hm500 Dec 13, 2012 11:54 am

I just got my flight from GRU to JFK upgraded with an SWU. I selected my seat over the phone (EXP Desk) and they didn't mention any fee for choosing an aisle seat.

turkeyRIOO Dec 13, 2012 11:59 am

Originally Posted by NiceLanding (Post 19849655)
Wow, BA really charges people on paid J for seat assignments? How much?

$64 o/w LHR-ATL in J

MikeFromTokyo Dec 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by sts603 (Post 19849627)
Do we have any confirmation that this is anything other than a tech glitch?

I bet this is a glitch on the website- fourteen dollars seems like a strange amount for them to be charging for this. If they were to sink so low as to charge a fee for seat selection in J, I would expect it to be a round number and significantly more than fourteen dollars.

I highly doubt AA would be stupid enough to annoy high paying premium passengers with such a trivial nuisance fee.

mvoight Dec 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 19850631)
I bet this is a glitch on the website- fourteen dollars seems like a strange amount for them to be charging for this. If they were to sink so low as to charge a fee for seat selection in J, I would expect it to be a round number and significantly more than fourteen dollars.

I highly doubt AA would be stupid enough to annoy high paying premium passengers with such a trivial nuisance fee.

Why would you expect it to be a round number? I have seen quite a few that weren't. Not for J, but for economy

NiceLanding Dec 13, 2012 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO (Post 19850620)
$64 o/w LHR-ATL in J

Okay, that seems like enough to make it worth doing for BA and is still only a modest increment on top of the cost to buy into J. Many people won't care enough to bother and it makes more of the better seats available for those who do care, especially elites who won't be paying the fees. I don't know if BA does it this way, but it would make sense to apply the charge only to discounted or buy-up J, though.

Frankly I had been trained for so long to not expect advance seat assignments on foreign carriers at all that I might have been willing to pay when it mattered to me. It was actually quite a pleasant surprise to discover that not only will BA allow me (free) advance seat assignments, but even the best exit row seats are open to me. That goes a long way to replacing the (mostly-theoretical in my case) ability to upgrade LH flights with UA instruments.

umaa83 Dec 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by NiceLanding (Post 19851225)
Okay, that seems like enough to make it worth doing for BA and is still only a modest increment on top of the cost to buy into J. Many people won't care enough to bother and it makes more of the better seats available for those who do care, especially elites who won't be paying the fees. I don't know if BA does it this way, but it would make sense to apply the charge only to discounted or buy-up J, though.

Frankly I had been trained for so long to not expect advance seat assignments on foreign carriers at all that I might have been willing to pay when it mattered to me. It was actually quite a pleasant surprise to discover that not only will BA allow me (free) advance seat assignments, but even the best exit row seats are open to me. That goes a long way to replacing the (mostly-theoretical in my case) ability to upgrade LH flights with UA instruments.

I've seen it as high as $120, each way, for an upper deck seat on the 747. I usually see this price when booking non-elite passengers LHR-DXB. This is one of the reasons I usually connect to EK at LHR instead for the same price (better service,food, lounges, and FREE advanced seating plus better seat IMHO anyway). BA's fees are N/A to me, however, it starts to add up when you have 5-10 co-workers travelling with you. I find it ridiculous that they charge a fee to select a seat on tickets that often cost $5K+.

hillrider Dec 13, 2012 2:00 pm

It's incomprehensible to me that someone could pay the thousands of dollar differential to fly J instead of Y, yet be unwilling to cough up another $14 for the seat of their choice. And even upgraders, whether by SWU or miles + copay, $14 seems trivial for such a long flight.

Agree. BA does this to non-elites, and I know of an European colleague that has stopped traveling BA after discovering it the hard way (and he's the decision maker for his company, so they lost multiple business-class flyers).

djk7 Dec 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 19849588)

It's incomprehensible that an airline would sink so low as to charge for seat assignments in a premium cabin that a customer has paid thousands of dollars for.

I'm with HNL on this. What next, charging for drinks in J?

Originally Posted by hm500 (Post 19850583)
I just got my flight from GRU to JFK upgraded with an SWU. I selected my seat over the phone (EXP Desk) and they didn't mention any fee for choosing an aisle seat.

Maybe aisle seat assignments are free, they are just charging extra for isle seats.

george 3 Dec 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 19849297)
Have you called the web services folks to find out if the selection issues are web-related or real? (I'm guessing not or we wouldn't have a new thread on this without that information, but it's always worth asking if the obvious has been tried :D)

(And, btw, they're aisle seats...unless they're on an island :))

Cheers.

The only island seats are 2D and 3D on a three class 767.

krazieman Dec 13, 2012 3:29 pm

I don't mind paying the $14. It just seems like a weird new feature.

JoeBagodonuts Dec 13, 2012 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by krazieman (Post 19851906)
I don't mind paying the $14. It just seems like a weird new feature.

I'd go elsewhere if I were ponying up thousands of dollars for paid J and then they did something as foolish as this especially when they could have just added another $14 to the fare and I wouldn't have noticed

a resort fee within the J cabin I guess