Wiki Posts
Search

Security Checkpoint Changes at JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Security Checkpoint Changes at JFK Terminal 8

I just flew into JFK around 11pm this evening (Dec. 11th). As I walked out I noticed they were doing some construction at the security area. It appears the Nude-O-Scopes are physically gone and have been replaced with the new, less invasive machines. At least one machine had been installed and another one was in the process as I walked by. The TSO I briefly spoke with said they'll be up and running tomorrow (12/12/12) but wasn't sure how many machines were going in.

If you're flying out of JFK in the next couple of days, I'd consider leaving some extra time as the TSA at this terminal isn't used to the machines.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

This is a practical travel issue related specifically to AA, which operates JFK Terminal 8, and so this thread will remain in the AA Forum. However, all subsequent posts have been deleted as they were more appropriate for the Travel Safety & Security forums. Members wishing to discuss practical issues and personal opinions about TSA screening are welcome to share their thoughts in those forums.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Dec 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I am currently at JFK T8. I can confirm that the backscatter X-ray machines are GONE, and have been replaced by fully-functioning MMW machines.

Most studies and popular perceptions are that MMW technology is much safer than backscatter x-ray. In fact, even TSA says that a MMW scan contains much less radiation than a BKSC x-ray scan.

Good news for travelers! Now, we need to get rid of backscatter at LGA and the other NYC-area stations! (the issue at LGA might be height of the ceiling in the screening area of Concourses C and D, since the MMW machines are much taller than the BKSC machines)

Hopefully this trend will spread nationwide to those other locations that still have BKSC. It is pretty telling that the EU has banned this equipment. Hopefully the UK will follow.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ESpen36
It is pretty telling that the EU has banned this equipment.
Any countries there using the MMW machines? I haven't noticed any in my travels, though maybe I'm in the wrong countries.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by BigBopper
I just flew into JFK around 11pm this evening (Dec. 11th). As I walked out I noticed they were doing some construction at the security area. It appears the Nude-O-Scopes are physically gone and have been replaced with the new, less invasive machines.
Important clarification. The Nude-O-Scopes aren't gone. They've just been replaced with a different variety of Nude-O-Scope.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Any countries there using the MMW machines? I haven't noticed any in my travels, though maybe I'm in the wrong countries.

Never seen any form of AIT at EU airports. I've been through MAD, FRA, CDG, AGP, GVA, ZRH in the last few years. Always just regular WTMD.

(I will say, though, that the WTMDs at EU airports are calibrated to be much more sensitive than the TSA-operated ones. For example, my belt sets off the WTMDs across the pond, but never Stateside.)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Herb687
Important clarification. The Nude-O-Scopes aren't gone. They've just been replaced with a different variety of Nude-O-Scope.
True. This replacing of the backscatter x-ray machines with the millimeter wave machines also occurred sometime after the end of October but before 11/25 at BOS at the AA checkpoint as well.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Never seen any form of AIT at EU airports. I've been through MAD, FRA, CDG, AGP, GVA, ZRH in the last few years. Always just regular WTMD.
Have seen them here in England, though couldn't tell you where as it's been quite a while. I do know that you do not have the right to opt out here.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if the removal of the human X-ray machines have anything to do with this horribly belated news (coming after how many million people were subjected to them?): http://www.nextgov.com/defense/2012/...canners/60195/

On the positive side, I have noticed faster pat-downs lately (systemwide).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.