Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keep American My American

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UAfan
My point exactly. I for one don’t want to see US do to AA what CO did to UA. MileagePlus was scissored by Smisek - watched my upgrade ratio plummet from 90% before the merger to 15% after, upgrade instruments became nearly worthless, and the Million Miler program did become worthless.
If the upgrade likelihoof dropped due to the management managing to change the mix in the cabin to increase the number of passengers actually paying for the class of travel, then it sounds like he did the right thing to me

Seems to me that there are some that are less interested in the airline state than managing to keep getting things for free that the airline should be trying to sell
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
If a merger can happen without Doug and Scott, I would have no problem with it.
This is my feeling as well.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
but on the other hand Horton (perhaps due to lack of experience as a CEO) has bumbled a number of times, contradicting himself and coming off IMO as a bit arrogant. He certainly didn't do much with his short honeymoon period in terms of winning over employees - or even gaining their respect. As previously stated, neither managements are anything to get excited about.
If you think Horton's arrogant, what do you call Dougie's gloating, whining, and presumptuousness that began to appear almost as soon as AA filed for bankruptcy? And as for the AA employees, they've made it abundantly clear that they want AA's current management out no matter what. They're so adamant about that and so militant in their rhetoric that it'd be pointless for Horton to engage them.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
When DL did this the Company was seen having strong management and good employee relationships (hence labor got in on the act). AA not so much. Somehow I do not see the stakeholders being concerned about what FTs want.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by dayone
Passengers (and fans) will have little, if any, effect on whether there is a merger or not.
Exactly.

I'm really hoping that AA and US don't merge. I'm a generally satisfied AA lifetime gold, so the fear of the post-merger unknown is part of it. But mostly my concerns are selfish: my most common route is DFW-CLT, and I'd expect fares to skyrocket if the competition drops from 2 airlines flying that route nonstop down to 1.

I think this thread is a fine place for discussion and commiseration, but I can't imagine that a group of customers - even a well-organized and large one - will be able to have any effect.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY

If you think Horton's arrogant, what do you call Dougie's gloating, whining, and presumptuousness that began to appear almost as soon as AA filed for bankruptcy? And as for the AA employees, they've made it abundantly clear that they want AA's current management out no matter what. They're so adamant about that and so militant in their rhetoric that it'd be pointless for Horton to engage them.
Dougie's job is to do what's best for US -- which clearly is to merge - and like Tilton when he was at UA Dougie has been beating the drum for consolidation for years -- I don't recall any gloating from Dougie -- I will say "whining" and certainly "presumptuousness" that US is good for AA, but that is the case he is trying to make. It's his job to play the merger card wherever he can.

On the Horton side - I agree there wasn't a big opportunity for Horton to come in and win the employees but the fact is he didn't even make the symbolic gestures you might expect - i.e. - Smisek taking $1 a year salary till they got out of 11 at CO - and in fact came in quite heavy - suing and making a nat like Sky Steward a hero and martyr with FAs, etc - as well as positioning himself as part of the old crew in fact in his first American Way article talking about his "dear friend" AArpey. My point is he could have distanced himself from the 'hated' old guard but he didn't.

I fly both US and AA - I would say the FA attitude on US is "well we're still here, so we will give management that." I don't think there is love for Dougie but there is respect that they are still alive and kicking. On the other hand, there seems to still be quite a bit of vitriol at AA towards management with AA management. It is something if Horton sticks around he and his team will need to work on. All the investments in new planes, new seats and amenities won't work unless there is if not love or even like, at least a semi-level of respect for management that doesn't appear to be there now.

Counter what Horton has done with Bethune when he came to CO - frankly in a similar situation - CO was days from 11. IMO Horton is going to need to get a bit of Gordy in him if he wants to make AA the successful and independent airline his goal seems to be. Remember Gordy was a go it alone guy - but he got the employees onto his team and he is absolutely still beloved, which in the airline business is quite a compliment.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Everybody wants everything

Everybody wants everything and they can't have it: cheap fares, freeloader UG's, free MCE/E+ (whatever you want to call extra legroom), easy use of awards and the like.

Whether AA survives as a standalone or is acquired by US or some hedge fund is a function of operating realities and shareholder value.

Either way, the "new" AA or whatever it might be called, can't be the "old" AA because that failed. It didn't fail because of an extra shrimp in the shrimp cocktail and so forth, but it failed.

The current reality is a 3-4 domestic carrier route system (UA, DL, US, AA or maybe US/AA). Gone are key competitors such as CO and NW. Gone are the poor moves of 2007-09 where AA (and others to be faired) charged rock bottom fares and gave away the candy store to get people to fly.

AA actually could survive as a standalone, but no carrier survives as doing business like the good old days. People on FT over-personalize this stuff. They think that CEO's are sitting in their office trying to sc*w them. They aren't. They are increasing shareholder value, which is their job. The decision to fly a carrier is a business decision, not a marriage.

If you used to be able to fly F for the price of deep discounted Y and can't any more on your current carrier, you should switch to a carrier which will do that for you. But you can't, because it's gone.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by UAfan
I thought a thread for those of us who support an independent, post-bankruptcy American was is order. Having already gone through the excruciating CO/UA acquisition (hardly a so-called merger), coming over to the dAArk side early this year has been an eye-opening joy (yes, joy). I have flown about 75K on AA this year, in paid Y, J and F.

The AA experience, even during bankruptcy (pilot work slow-down aside) has been leaps better than the COdbaUA experience, IMHO. Across every metric important to me (upgrades, service, dependability, Wi-Fi, etc), AA wins hands-down. In the areas they do not (equipment and route network, to name two), they are clearly working to improve those.

I, for one, would like to see the things that matter survive as AA exits bankruptcy. In a US merger, especially with Parker as a potential CEO, I have every reason to believe that the least common denominator will win out, just as it did at UA with the survival of SHARES and countless other legacy CO aspects that were inferior to pre-'merger' UA's. Here at my hometown airport, DCA, we joke about the inferior US product; I shudder to think it could soon envelope the superior AA product and experience.

Certainly, there are those who will not share the above view. Understood. What I would like to pose, for those who do share it, is the question: How do we help Keep American My American?

Happy Holidays,

Remember when you used to paper the DL Skymiles and Skyteam boards with your DL sucks UA is the greatest posts? That makes this post even better.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:46 am

If US STILL can't combine America West and US, how on earth are they going to get this right.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Anyone have Bob Crandall's address?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:01 am

Considering that the Delta campaign was literally called the same thing - "Keep Delta My Delta" - can't we at least be a little creative?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:45 am

I've been AA EXP for 12 years; and I'm currently Gold on US. I like the idea of the merger, but only if the AAdvantage program in its current (or close to) iteration survives. The DM program is completely worthless, IMO. No one-way awards, and limited availability at that. Admirals Clubs have better facilities in general, and I like AA cabin service better, but US isn't awful. Upgrades, however, are good on both carriers.
As a New Yorker, the overlay of the US route system would be very appealing, particularly the addition of Southeastern US routes. And if they choose to keep the PHX hub, that could eventually open up more routes to the West. The merger isn't a bad idea, as long as the US management takes the money and heads to a Scottsdale golf course instead of running a top-tier airline.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
For whatever reason I find a thread called Keep American My American started by someone named UAFan a bit incongruous.
Please remember that we cannot change our usernames. When I signed up I just made something up because I was not sure how much I would use or like this site. I figured I could change it. Alas, I cannot change it to match my twitter, blog, instagram, etc., all of which are clear identity of me.

Maybe he wants to change it but cannot.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by JAFU007
Please remember that we cannot change our usernames. When I signed up I just made something up because I was not sure how much I would use or like this site. I figured I could change it. Alas, I cannot change it to match my twitter, blog, instagram, etc., all of which are clear identity of me.

Maybe he wants to change it but cannot.
I wholeheartedly agree... my preferred username(s) were all used when I signed up for FT years ago and I was fed up and my dog, Emma, was sitting at my feet. Little did I know I'd regret having a girl's name for a username.

Back to the main point of the thread, though. I don't want a merger because:
  • Loss of competition has led to higher fares
  • AAdvantage is a great program and loss of competition may reduce FF benefits across all airlines
  • Fewer travel choices mean less convenient flights and routings for some
  • Various merger issues suck (UA/CO computers, WN/Airtran codesharing)
  • Anything that disrupts work culture will also disrupt my flying experience
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Often1
Either way, the "new" AA or whatever it might be called, can't be the "old" AA because that failed. It didn't fail because of an extra shrimp in the shrimp cocktail and so forth, but it failed.
Chapter 11 is your criterion for failure?

In that case, USAir failed, America West failed, Delta failed, Northwest failed, United failed, Continental failed (three times). American is the only one that hasn't "failed" until now.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the upgrade likelihoof dropped due to the management managing to change the mix in the cabin to increase the number of passengers actually paying for the class of travel, then it sounds like he did the right thing to me
You don't spend a lot of time in the UA forum, do you? Do a search for "TOD".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.