Qatar / QR - Bookable using AA miles?

Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Hyatt; Platinum DL, AA, SPG; Gold UA
Qatar / QR - Bookable using AA miles?

Hi, AA friends.

Trying to book a Qatar airways flight for Sept 2013 from MLE-NBO. I had intended to book it using UA miles, but UA suspended the relationship in August.

Understand that Qatar has been invited to join oneworld. Any idea if/when we might be able to use AA mile to book Qatar airlines flights?

Otherwise, looks like i'm going to have to transfer 63k Amex points to ANA and book Qatar through them. The AA award chart would only require 45k (biz oneway) for the same trip...

Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:09 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Probably not before your trip. When the oneworld announcement was made in October, it was said that it would be 12-18 months before Qatar would enter the alliance.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've retitled the thread, as QR is not a oneworld airline at this time. This thread states QR will come aboard late 2013 or perhaps 2014.

You can always check with aa.com - this page shows airline and oneworld partners you can book awards on; Qatar is not showing.

It may be QR and AA will codeshare, allow miles to be spent on awards, etc. prior to QR joining oneworld, or not. Malaysian is joining oneworld 1 Feb 2013, yet miles can not be redeemed for MH flights yet.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:24 am

In fact AA and QR are now codesharing. Not sure what it means on benefits and mileage accrual
Old May 1, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
AA is listing QR flights with AA numbers for booking but they are not listing them on AA.com as a partner airline. My guess is that since they're posting codeshare flights one can book and get EQMs but not necessarily redeem miles on QR at this time.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:47 am
SST

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
AA is listing QR flights with AA numbers for booking but they are not listing them on AA.com as a partner airline. My guess is that since they're posting codeshare flights one can book and get EQMs but not necessarily redeem miles on QR at this time.
Just tried to put my AA AAdvantage number on a non-codeshare QR flight from DOH-JNB for potential purposes of getting EQM. No go. QR has no way on their computers to add an AAdvantage number. The patient agent got error messages back. Tried two different numbers. Have to keep waiting and hoping for AA credit.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SST
Just tried to put my AA AAdvantage number on a non-codeshare QR flight from DOH-JNB for potential purposes of getting EQM. No go. QR has no way on their computers to add an AAdvantage number. The patient agent got error messages back. Tried two different numbers. Have to keep waiting and hoping for AA credit.
They are not a partner. Why would you expect credit on a non codeshare??
Old May 4, 2013, 11:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Booking QR as an AA codeshare (usually requires a connection with an AA flight to be bookable) will render AA miles as if flown on AA. Earning AA miles on QR any other way, until AA announces miles are earnable on native QF flights / or until QR fully joins oneworld, is not feasible. And until AA announces one can burn AA miles on QR / or QR fully joins oneworld, there is no way to use AA miles for an award on QR (for that matter, even as an AA codeshare).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.