Search

Cases Where You Are Better Off In Economy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:35 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sts603
Hence the water AND alcohol. One for one.
Which leaves you at a net negative since the dry air already dehydrates. Unless of course, the one water is a lot more than the one alcohol

Cheers.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, HHonors Gold
Statistics show you're better off in economy during a plane crash. Just sayin'
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Stripe
Take the F seat and enjoy the meal. Then take your stuff back to an empty row and stretch out.

Back in the late 90's lower load factors and empty rows were not such a novelty. And with AA's "heart healthy" special meal option you could actually get something like a nice grilled salmon dinner in Y. Stretched out and well fed, I did not envy the folks crammed up in first class.
I've done this several times. Once to DFW the F FA even came back to check on me for more beverages.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Back in the mid-90's, MD-11 service from NRT-DFW. F was packed, J was packed, Y had about 40 passengers. I just grabbed a middle row of 5 seats, some blankets, fastened a seat belt around myself, and slept for about 7 hours between dinner and breakfast. In fact, the J passengers were looking longingly back to the Y cabin...
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:32 pm

Last Friday night, 715 pm departure from LHR to JFK, similar situation F and J pretty full. I had about 3 rows of 2-5-2 all to myself back around row 38. That back cabin could not have had more than 20 people in it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
7 years ago we did AA J DFW-NRT then a late night NRT-CNS in Y with lots of 5 across empties in back. My wife's birthday produced a bottle of Pommery from the very fun FA and we slept great on 2 rows of five. Very fresh for that live aboard dive boat the next day.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Last year flying from LAX to ORD on the red eye, in the exit row with seat open next to me. Gate agent comes and states a seat in 1st opened, bulkhead. I chose to stay in the exit row, on the red eye with the seat open in the exit row. More leg room for stretching and sleeping the the 1st class bulkhead seat.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Qantas, Hawaiian
I'm in the camp for coach bulkhead on redeyes - 737 or757. Just can't sleep without my feet up. I do make sure to have airplane socks which are dedicated to my feet and the bulkhead wall.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Agree with OP. Had an original itinerary today of YYZ-LGA-ORD-SJC all upgraded to F. However, the plane on the first segment had a mechanical delay of over an hour, meaning my LGA-ORD connection would be quite tight. At the next gate was a YYZ-ORD flight, leaving 10-minutes after the original sked for my YYZ-LGA. Thought my best bet was to get the last seat on this flight (E145 vs CRA7) so took it and forwent my F seat. However, found the E145 comfortable for the 1-1/2 and FA recognized my ExecPlat status and insisted I take a snack in addition to the juice I ordered (it was an early morning flight, no bar).

Getting to ORD my original flight to SJC was scheduled for just after 7p, so when I noticed a departure in 50-minutes I headed from G2B gate to K8 to see if there were any seats on this earlier flight. Gate agent said there was, but nothing in F. I agreed and took 8D...and was also told she'd blocked the centre and window seat so I'd have the whole row to myself. Very nice so space would not be an issue.

Cart came around and FA asked if I was Mr. Shareholder and advised I could have anything from the BoB and the bar. (Expected this but not necessarily to be addressed by name this way. I've only flown coach twice before today on AA domestic since returning to the fold this year.) Had the beef sandwich and chips and a Heinniken. B738 had wifi so set myself up in the middle seat, my laptop on the tray of 8F and food/drink on 8D's tray. Wasn't sure if ExecPlat benefit included more than one drink, so asked and told it was "unlimited". Well, moderation, so had another Heinniken and FA gave me a large bag of salted almonds!

So life back there can indeed be quite pleasant...though must admit I did question if I made the right decision as I watched the lunch in F being served...
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by brp
Actually, I wouldn't expect coffee to help with jetlag as it is also dehydrating. Both will be overall negative in cases of sleep lack and the dehydration that comes from flying. I drink both on flights, but don't try to convince myself that either will do anything but make the need for water and sleep even more

Cheers.
Coffee helps reset the circadian clock if you are in the habit of drinking coffee (or other caffeinated drink) at a certain time, then drink it at destination time while still in the air.

Example: Joe usually drinks two cups of coffee at 6am. He's flying to Europe from the US. He sets his watch for Europe time, then notes when it is 6am in Europe. If possible, he drinks two cups of coffee then.

Drinking coffee at random times during the flight will not be of much help and is, as you said, dehydrating.

Alcohol is dehydrating since you soak up water in order to excrete the alcohol.

If your primary goal is to stay hydrated, then water is your best bet.

If your primary goal is to make yourself drowsy so you can sleep, then a moderate amount of alcohol could help.

If your primary goal is to fight jet lag, then go for coffee at "coffee time".

Disclaimer: All this is purely theoretical for me, since I don't drink coffee nor alcohol. Ever. I do drink a lot of water while flying and, generally, have very little jet lag.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Coffee helps reset the circadian clock if you are in the habit of drinking coffee (or other caffeinated drink) at a certain time, then drink it at destination time while still in the air.
Do you have any studies to back this up?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Last week during a same day LAX-DCA-LAX MR on an absolutely empty 757 I had the row to myself on LAX-DCA and slept the entire way. Upgraded on the way back. I tend to always do the trans-con mileage runs to Boston and DC in the first two weeks of December (of course), and always do the same: coach there and First back. Saturday morning flights in the lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas are always empty in my experience.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I just cancelled my UG on tomorrow's daytime JFK-LHR flight. J was looking more filled than Y, even before seat assignments for final upgrades, the flight is only 6 hours, and I've got an exit row seat. Would rather save the last VIP for a longer westbound daytime flight in Jan. (assuming that EXP renewal, which depends on the double EQMs from my 12/21 flight, won't kick in for a few weeks into Jan.)
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Do you have any studies to back this up?
Regarding caffeine as a circadian clock resetter?

Yes, the book published by the jet lag researchers about the Anti-Jet Lag Diet discuss caffeine and related issues. The book is now out of print. I have a copy here (somewhere) in my home office. I'd give you the title and authors if only I could find it.

Since I don't drink coffee, I use OJ as a substitute. I have OJ every morning just after I wake up. Thus, when I'm on the airplane heading east, I drink OJ at breakfast time, on the destination clock. It's not as good as caffeine, but works for me, traveling to and from Europe since 1989. I usually have little or no jetlag, even crossing 9 time zones from Los Angeles. I just catch up on my missed sleep, then I'm good to go.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I've got a LAX-IAD-LAX MR this Saturday on a 737. The upgrade on the redeye saturday night cleared. This thread is making me think I'm better off saving the stickers and moving back to Y (seat map looks pretty open).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.