Wiki Posts
Search

Will we get noise canceling headsets? [ORD-MIA-STT]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Will we get noise canceling headsets? [ORD-MIA-STT]

The last time I flew AA in first we got noise reduction headsets. I had dragged my own set with me and could have had one less item to keep track of.

Tomorrow we fly to ORD/MIA/STT. Will we get Bose headsets? My computer bag is pretty stuffed already so I'd like to leave mine at home.

Thanks,
gg
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by gardengirl
The last time I flew AA in first we got noise reduction headsets. I had dragged my own set with me and could have had one less item to keep track of.

Tomorrow we fly to ORD/MIA/STT. Will we get Bose headsets? My computer bag is pretty stuffed already so I'd like to leave mine at home.

Thanks,
gg
No.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I would never take that chance. I wouldn't be caught dead without mine. The one time I did, I'd be stuck next to a crying baby...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thanks. What's one more item to carry. . .right? Only packed my suitcase 3 times .
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
TPAC, TATL, deep SA have them. Not sure about transcon from LAX/SFO/MIA/JFK but SEA-MIA/JFK doesn't.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM; AA EXP; SPG Plat
Yes, Transcon, on the JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX flights only they have them in both business and first.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Nope, which is why I carry my Etymotic earbuds - they are better than noise reduction headsets because they are noise blocking, and very, very portable. For the SF Bay Area folks, they work on BART too.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 18, 2013 at 8:30 am Reason: typoe
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:35 am

Last edited by Hewness; Mar 1, 2013 at 1:34 am
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Nope, whcih is why I carry my Etymotic earbuds - they are better than noise reduction headsets because they are noise blocking, and very, very portable. For the SF Bay Area folks, they work on BART too.
I HIGHLY recommend anyone with bose style headsets consider these. I went from the big cans to the HF5 about 2 years ago and haven't looked back. There were other benefits as well, but one of the big ones is space. Instead of the big case, they fit in a zip up case about the size of a pad of post it notes.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Nope, whcih is why I carry my Etymotic earbuds - they are better than noise reduction headsets because they are noise blocking, and very, very portable. For the SF Bay Area folks, they work on BART too.
^
My old Bose and QC2s are great at gathering dust ever since I purchased my Etymotic isolator 6i earbuds years ago. After years of using them it is time to consider replacing them with a new pair. Great for sleeping on ones side on those CX. BA and QF (A380) F flights and only take up about 2 square inches of carry-on space.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I HIGHLY recommend anyone with bose style headsets consider these. I went from the big cans to the HF5 about 2 years ago and haven't looked back. There were other benefits as well, but one of the big ones is space. Instead of the big case, they fit in a zip up case about the size of a pad of post it notes.
Also I have problems sleeping with headseats on. I can't get my head in a comfortable spot.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That's the issue - Bose developed NR headsets for pilots, and expanded the product to sell to passengers, etc. Noise Reduction works best with a continuous noise source - engine hum, etc. It doesn't work too well with transients - people talking, babies crying, PAs squawking, etc.

Noise / sound blocking / isolation works great for everything - it relies on physical barriers to reduce the SPL of all noise (though the sound reduction can be frequency- tapered).

Originally Posted by dmanson
I would never take that chance. I wouldn't be caught dead without mine. The one time I did, I'd be stuck next to a crying baby...
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While the earbuds may work great, do they block noise as well as high db blocking foam earplugs? My setup relies on foam earplugs + my BOSE (with some soft background music). A belt and suspenders approach, to be sure, but it works.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
TPAC, TATL, deep SA have them. Not sure about transcon from LAX/SFO/MIA/JFK but SEA-MIA/JFK doesn't.
they are also on the LAX-MIA 777 in J and F.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Also I have problems sleeping with headseats on. I can't get my head in a comfortable spot.
That was the main reason I went to earbuds. But as others have said, isolation, comfort, no batteries, size, and SOUND QUALITY!!! are the other big benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.