I wonder what the GA wanted?

Old Nov 27, 12, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
I wonder what the GA wanted?

Last night at DFW I got to the gate a few minutes early, and wasn't really listening to the usual calling of passenger names for this or that, because I already had an UG and BP...when the GA called my name. So I go over and get in line to see what she wants. In 30+ years of flying I've never been called for anything other than an equipment change, a last minute UG, or a standby seat, so I'm suspicious as to what she might want.

Just as I get to the front of the line, the GA says "Can I see your"....and never completes the sentence because at that point a mother with her young son interrupt her. He'd hit his head and was crying and she wanted the GA to call for medical help.

Just as that phone call ended, another GA called boarding for my flight to STL, and my GA walked away without saying a word to me or the people still behind me. So I shrug, walk away too and board the plane, figuring if she really wants to talk to me she'll find me, and if she's given away my UG for some reason I'll have squatters rights if I'm in the seat. I half expected someone to show up with my seat assignment, but no one did, and that was it.

The only thing I can think of is someone else with the same last name, but mine is not common, so...other ideas?
Old Nov 27, 12, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by siankaan1 View Post
Last night at DFW I got to the gate a few minutes early, and wasn't really listening to the usual calling of passenger names for this or that, because I already had an UG and BP...when the GA called my name. So I go over and get in line to see what she wants. In 30+ years of flying I've never been called for anything other than an equipment change, a last minute UG, or a standby seat, so I'm suspicious as to what she might want.

Just as I get to the front of the line, the GA says "Can I see your"....and never completes the sentence because at that point a mother with her young son interrupt her. He'd hit his head and was crying and she wanted the GA to call for medical help.

Just as that phone call ended, another GA called boarding for my flight to STL, and my GA walked away without saying a word to me or the people still behind me. So I shrug, walk away too and board the plane, figuring if she really wants to talk to me she'll find me, and if she's given away my UG for some reason I'll have squatters rights if I'm in the seat. I half expected someone to show up with my seat assignment, but no one did, and that was it.

The only thing I can think of is someone else with the same last name, but mine is not common, so...other ideas?
Possibly if you were traveling alone you the GA wanted to see if you would be reseated to accomodate two people traveling together and the woman with the bloody kid got her attention instead. Boarding time came and she did not have the time/memory/desire to deal with reseating. Sometimes GA will ask to reseat, sometimes reseat without your permission or just tell the other flyers to ask other paxs after boarding.
Old Nov 27, 12, 12:32 pm

Maybe a seat swap? I've also been solicited to volunteer my seat to uniformed military, might that have been it? Only twice, both times at DFW, and very clearly "no pressure, just asking because many elites express desire to be made aware."

Maybe you were the 1,000,000 customer of her career?
Old Nov 27, 12, 1:32 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I also vote "seat swap". The GA probably wanted you to swap so that a couple could sit together, however the screaming kid was a higher priority.
Old Nov 27, 12, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I would vote as well for the seat swap. I don't think the GA wanted to find out if you were a cousin from Louisiana.

Was the child badly injured?
Old Nov 27, 12, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
I was thinking there ought to be a thread for complaining about the small stuff
Old Nov 27, 12, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by oldpenny16 View Post
The OP's curious about what the GA wanted and you're worried about some little kid with a gaping gash in his forehead that probably required hundreds of stitches and may lead to brain damage if the swelling can't be controlled?!?!
Old Nov 27, 12, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by oldpenny16 View Post
I would vote as well for the seat swap. I don't think the GA wanted to find out if you were a cousin from Louisiana.

No blood in evidence, mother holding her hands over his forehead and back of his head. Kid was crying but not upset screaming, as a parent myself I didn't get the impression the kid was as upset as his mom. GA didn't seem like she thought it was all that urgent either, but one never knows with head injuries so she definitely did the right thing by calling for help.

<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 28, 12 at 6:40 am Reason: Redacted references to deleted posts
Old Nov 28, 12, 6:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
What happens behind closed doors should probably stay there, and certainly isn't related to AAdvantage, AA, earning, flying, etc. etc. etc. Moving on now...

~Moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: