WiFi availability on 737-800?

Old Nov 26, 12, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P
WiFi availability on 737-800?

I know that a "select number" of 737-800s have inflight wifi, but I was wondering if anyone had an idea on what percent of the fleet actually have wifi.

Looking at the AA gates and times for my possible routes suggests that my odds are pretty good (100%?) if I was flying today on a 737-800, but I'm not sure that means much.

I'm also interested if anyone has evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) that certain routes are more likely to have wifi than others. FWIW, I'm planning to fly SFO-???-YYZ.

Thanks
Old Nov 27, 12, 7:33 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
That other forum used to have a thread where Jon tracked deliveries of aircraft but even he was never able to figure out which came from the factory with the equipment and which need to have it installed.

From my personal experience, it's getting more likely to have it than not on the 737s. But not guaranteed. As the AC rotate around a lot, it's hard to generalize.
Old Nov 27, 12, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG AMB, Marriott GLD
In terms of where you should fly through to increase your chances of getting Wifi - I would suggest flying SFO-DFW-YYZ as opposed to SFO-ORD-YYZ since ORD-YYZ is operated by American Eagle (no wifi) whereas DFW-YYZ uses the 738 (chance of wifi).
Old Nov 27, 12, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I fly 738s more than any other AA aircraft, and don't recall the last time I saw one without wifi.

Search this Thread