Blast from past: AA F LHR-JFK menu from 1997

Old Nov 26, 12, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCRC, TK*G, FB G, HHH D, SPG P.

Been doing a bit of a general de-clutter and came across this gem from 1997. Thought it might be interesting to post on here, as it's a bit different than what we see today across the pond on AA!

AA101 LHR-JFK. August 12th, 1997:

LUNCHEON SERVICE
Appetizers
-- Assortment of Warm Roasted Nuts or fresh Vegetables served in a Cucumber-Dill Dip to accompany your preferred cocktail or beverage.
-- The Caviar Cart. Sevruga Malossol Caviar with traditional garnishes and blini or toast points, or smoked salmon with capers.

The Salad Cart
-- Seasonal Salad with tomato, caper and olive dressing or Aniseed viniagrette
-- Mediterranean marinated chicken
-- Fresco salad with balsamic vinaigrette

Sorbet
-- Grapefruit Sorbet

Bread Basket

Condiment Tray
-- A-1 Steak Sauce
-- Hot Sauce
-- Soy Sauce
-- Salt free Sasoning
-- Lemon Pepper

Entrees
-- Chateaubriand. Roasted tenderloin of Beef coated with Dijon mustard and Thyme, complemented by a light onion demi-glace, oven-roasted vegetables and potato wedges with thyme.
-- Mustard Seared Salmon - Seared fillet of Salmon seasoned with Dry Mustard, enhanced by a Chanterelle Mushroom Vinaigrette and offered with Orzo Pasta tossed with Spinach.
-- Pesto Farfalle. Tossed with a Red Snapper Sauce and Parmesan Cheese, garnished with Herb-dried tomatoes, Artichokes, Zucchini and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
-- Destination Feature: Chicken with Chive Sauce. Grilled breast of Chicken served on a wild mushroom Risotto, with a red bell Pepper and Carrot garnish, enhanced by a Chive Cream sauce.

Should you care for additional options, Broccoli with Cheddar Cheese and Onions, Green Beans with Smoked Turkey and Bacon Mashed Potatoes are available upon request with any of our entrees.

Desserts
The Fruit and Cheese Cart. Gloucester, Boursin Fines Herbes and Stilton cheese complemented by fresh seasonal fruit, served with select crackers and offered with Port and other fine wines.
The Dessert Cart. Ice Cream Sundae. Haagen-Dazs Vanilla ice cream with a choice of Hot Fudge, Butterscotch or seasonal Berry Toppings, Whipped Cream and Pecans.
Select Chocolates.

AFTERNOON MEAL
-- Pasta Caesar Salad. Penne paste tossed with fresh Spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and onions, served with Caesar dressing and fresh Parmesan cheese.
-- Grilled Chicken Spinach Salad. Breast of Chicken marinated in a Garlic Vinaigrette, accompanied by a Spinach salad with red onion, asparagus and grilled shiitake mushrooms.
-- Fresh fruit
-- Cookies, freshly baked on board.

DRINKS

Champagne
Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial Champagne, 1988

White Wines
Clos Pegase Napa Valley Chardonnay 1993
J. Moreau & Fils Chablis Grand Cru 1995
Ferrari-Carano Sonoma County Fumee Blanc 1995

Red Wines
William Hill Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 1990
Chateau Pichon au Baron de Pichon-Longueville 1992
King Estate Oregon Pinot Noir 1994

Sherry
Sandeman 'Character' Medium Dry Sherry

Dessert Wines
Graham's 'Malvedos' Vintage Port 1982
Royal Tokaji 'Blue Label' Takaji Aszu 1993

Cocktails and Aperitifs
Bloody Mary
Campari
Screwdriver
Vodka Martini
Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth

Spirits
Absolut Vodka
Smirnoff Vodka
Bombay Sapphire Gin
Tanqueray Gin
Bacardi Rum
Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch
Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky
Maker's Mark Bourbon
Crown Royal Canadian Whisky
Johnnie Walker Black Label Scotch Whisky
Dewar's White Label Scotch Whisky
Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

Beers
A Selection of American and International Beers

Brandy and Liqueurs
Amaretto di Saronno
Baileys Irish Cream
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac
Drambuie
Grand Marnier
Kahlua
Old Nov 26, 12, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, thanks for posting, great memories. And it was only 15 years ago. A proper high-end restaurant meal.

IIRC caviar went away in 2001.

[Edited to add: my memory was correct: see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aviar-lhr.html.

An interesting fact from that thread is that the roundtrip cost (pre-corporate discounts) went from the $13k cited in that thread (equivalent to $17k today adjusted for overall inflation) to today's $18163.60.]
Old Nov 26, 12, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Except for the caviar, this doesn't strike me as that much different from what they have now. Although the wines were far better then.
Old Nov 26, 12, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM PLT, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by coremill View Post
Except for the caviar, this doesn't strike me as that much different from what they have now. Although the wines were far better then.
Except for the caviar, the far better wines, the far better liquor selection, the optional second side, the sorbet, it's basically the same as what we have today.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who would say "A Lexus is just a Toyota, with a better engine, upgraded suspension, an nicer features inside"... yes, precisely.
Old Nov 26, 12, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Additionally, I remember the baguettes being full-sized back in those old days. Not terribly long after 2001, everything in the bread basket was shrunk to what resembled half-sized. In recent years, the rolls appear to have expanded somewhat, but not to their pre-2001 portion size.
Old Nov 26, 12, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
How were the F seats in 1997?
Old Nov 26, 12, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
Great point. Was it the 777 with 2-2-2 seating?

While I would have loved to experience the great service of airlines in the past, overall I would greatly prefer AA F today than in the past. I care much more about the seat than the service. (not that AA has a great seat now, and yes there is no reason why an airline can't have both)
Old Nov 26, 12, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I agree -- the caviar is gone, and the wines were better, but otherwise it's the same as today. The seats are another matter. In first, today's are MUCH better, and in Business it seems they will soon be comfortable.
Old Nov 26, 12, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
In 1997, LHR-JFK would have been an AB6 or 767 with three classes. The F seat was the sheepskin covered "wooly mammoth" recliner. Very comfortable, IMO, but not anywhere near today's F suites.

AA didn't get its first 777 until March, 1999 (with, yes, 2-2-2 coffins in First). Flagship Suites didn't debut until 2000.
Old Nov 26, 12, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP / CK
At the very least they had a much better writer coming up with the menus...but it does seem to me that there has been a big drop off. The Pizzeria Uno pizza as a 2nd meal just doesn't compare.
Old Nov 26, 12, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
In 1997, LHR-JFK would have been an AB6 or 767 with three classes.
The October 1996 OAG (as close as I could find) showed a combo of 762, 763 and MD-11s on the route:

http://www.departedflights.com/LHR96p9.html
Old Nov 26, 12, 4:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75k, AA EXP, Subway Sub Club
Originally Posted by mdavies View Post
Except for the caviar, the far better wines, the far better liquor selection, the optional second side, the sorbet, it's basically the same as what we have today.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who would say "A Lexus is just a Toyota, with a better engine, upgraded suspension, an nicer features inside"... yes, precisely.
Tom Jones: What a great name for a city, Rio De Janeiro. Does it compare with London in anyway?

Sergio Mendes: They are exactly the same. Except for the language. The buildings. The people. The food.

Tom Jones: (chuckles) OK Sergio, just sing.
/YouTube
Given this thread involves London, this quote seemed just right.
Old Nov 26, 12, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM; HH plt; PC Gld; Sheraton gld

Just did aa142 jfk-lhr in F.
I would say much different menu than op's...

No warm nuts which I didn't understand, I guess it was Brkfst service.
Fruit cup with a lot of pineapple at bottom (fresh, not canned), half a kiwi, plum wedges, and a date. For main I had scrambled eggs on biscuit with sausage, other selection included a quesadilla, frittata, and two others.

Cheese plate halfway, and prior to landing, salad with a croissant sandwich with ham and cheese. Forgot the other selections. Lets just say was not so memorable.

Which makes me wonder, why bother with first which is not much better than biz? Maybe it's just a 7 hr flt. A china run probably would have had a better menu vs biz?
Old Nov 26, 12, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Nice thread. Makes me recall my first international F, from SFO to Seoul back in 1987 on UA. The most striking contrast with today was that the FAs had large carving knives they used to cut us nice, thick slabs of roast beef (and then seconds) right by our seats.

Now, that being said...

While I would have loved to experience the great service of airlines in the past, overall I would greatly prefer AA F today than in the past. I care much more about the seat than the service. (not that AA has a great seat now, and yes there is no reason why an airline can't have both)
I agree. If I had to choose, I'd definitely take today's F suites and IFE over the service and meals of yesteryear. Of course, on some airlines one still doesn't have to choose...
Old Nov 26, 12, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer

Great thread and thank you OP for reminding us of the wonderful soft product AA had in international F. The last time I enjoyed this service was on a 763 to CDG and it was the near flat coffin seats. Compare the car were you driving in 1997 or bag phone.

Search this Thread