Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I upfare an already upgraded sector?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue
Can I upfare an already upgraded sector?

Yep, sounds like I'm insane. I am all set to requalify for EXP, even before current promotion, but current promotion puts me within within spitting distance (about 1k) of 125k EQPs with my already booked itin.

Unfortunately, not being based in US, MRs are not inexpensive -- looking at ~US$800+ for easiest options. However, I have an upcoming trip that includes one domestic sector. I have already been upgraded because I have used an SWU from an M fare (and including the preceding international sector). If this sector was earning at 1.5EQP/mile, it would push me to 125k EQP with the double points promo.

I would be willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars to get into a class with 1.5 EQP/mile. If I do this in advance, I am probably looking at a sizeable change fee and the upstick in price -- which may make the whole thing uneconomical. But with the 'buy into F' fares that one reads about on FT, that may be a possibility, on the day.

Will it even be possible or will they think I am insane? What if I ask to standby (if that is the right term) onto the next, later flight going to the same destination?

tb
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
If your ticket permits changes, even for a fee, then you a free to change it for a fee. The question is whether you would still have the upgrade after you get a new ticket. One option might just to be to take a short round trip flight in the US while you are here. And, before you do any of this, double check the mileage.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
If your ticket permits changes, even for a fee, then you a free to change it for a fee. The question is whether you would still have the upgrade after you get a new ticket. One option might just to be to take a short round trip flight in the US while you are here. And, before you do any of this, double check the mileage.
I'm actually not going to be in US, merely passing through, so a MR is not an option. The price to change to a B fare 'upfront' is prohibitive (as one might expect) -- was wondering whether I can 'buy-up' first for a (relatively) small fee on the day, as has been reported here -- regardless of whether I am upgraded. I may try this on standby for an earlier flight, since I have that option in my itin...

I don't really care about losing my first seat on one domestic sector of a few hours if I can get the major bonuses of hitting 125k EQP.

tb
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by trueblu
-- was wondering whether I can 'buy-up' first for a (relatively) small fee on the day, as has been reported here --
If you are thinking about the LFBU upgrades that are sometimes available on the day of travel, these will not work for you.

They only give you miles/points based on the original fare bucket you were booked in and in any case, they will not be offered to you as you are already seated in F.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mark_T
If you are thinking about the LFBU upgrades that are sometimes available on the day of travel, these will not work for you.

They only give you miles/points based on the original fare bucket you were booked in and in any case, they will not be offered to you as you are already seated in F.
Thanks this is critical information that I wasn't aware of -- never having contemplated buying one before. Looks like I'll have to sit it out at 123900 EQP this year!

tb
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
The "B" fare might be expensive but a discount J/C or F/A/P (business or first respectively) fare might be much cheaper.

Have you called AA and asked what is the cheapest 1.5 EQP earning fare class you can buy?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
can I pay to UG an already upgraded sector?

Have you considered flying an AA partner such as BA? I know they won't give you the bonus miles with AATHX, but you'd just need to go about 600 miles (less with a 1.5 eqp fare) to get the elite rewards.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by trueblu
I have an upcoming trip that includes one domestic sector. I have already been upgraded because I have used an SWU from an M fare (and including the preceding international sector). If this sector was earning at 1.5EQP/mile, it would push me to 125k EQP with the double points promo.

I would be willing to pay a couple of hundred dollars to get into a class with 1.5 EQP/mile.
What you're referring to is upfaring your ticket, not upgrading it (which you've already done ). As such, I've retitled the thread to more accurately reflect the question posed in the OP. Good luck!

~Moderator
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
call & ask.....
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingTrojan
Have you considered flying an AA partner such as BA? I know they won't give you the bonus miles with AATHX, but you'd just need to go about 600 miles (less with a 1.5 eqp fare) to get the elite rewards.
From PEK (where I'm based), the cheapest possibilities are HKG or TYO, both of which price around US$800-$1000. Given that I would only be doing this for the bonus from 125k EQP, that is marginal value at best. The lack of OW partners in mainland china is a real bummer for this one.

Originally Posted by Microwave
What you're referring to is upfaring your ticket, not upgrading it (which you've already done ). As such, I've retitled the thread to more accurately reflect the question posed in the OP. Good luck!

~Moderator
Thanks!

Originally Posted by clacko
call & ask.....
Already did: to 'upfare' my internal US sector (to B) would cost just over US$1k, so not worth it. Hence my interest in the LFBU thing, but since that doesn't give me the extra EQPs, it's actually a futile exercise....oh well.

tb
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:46 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
kind of a round-about way, and over $200, *I think* you use use 20K BA miles (assuming you have them) to fly (round-trip) to Japan, then spend 21K yen on Yokoso round-trip. They do earn miles but I am not sure what's the earn rate for EQP.

If this works it might still worth it for the elite reward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.