Domestic First and International Business (Caribbean) meals service

Old Nov 20, 12, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Caribbean Miles Silver, Club Caribbean
Domestic First and International Business (Caribbean) meals service

I have to say, I'm getting a little fed up with American and their Domestic First and International Business (Caribbean) meals services.

1. ex-Caribbean Continental Breakfast- 4 hour flight umm Special K and stale looking fruit not impressed but, I wasn't surprised as Continental Breakfast in airline terms almost always means bad.

2. MIA-ORD-MIA Lunch- So I was expecting the "normal" lunch service. Salad/Choice of 2 mains/dessert, no I ended up with just a Salad. How is that lunch. That is a snack service. I feel bad for the crew, they were all so friendly trying to make the flight great.

If AA wasn't part of OneWorld I might have really considered not flying them again. Personally, I find AA Economy unbearable and Business/Domestic First really not worth it. I fly for business and all I really want is a proper meal with a half decent glass of wine on my flight. At least I now know to eat in the airport.

BA2158
Old Nov 20, 12, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by BA2158 View Post
I have to say, I'm getting a little fed up with American and their Domestic First and International Business (Caribbean) meals services.

1. ex-Caribbean Continental Breakfast- 4 hour flight umm Special K and stale looking fruit not impressed but, I wasn't surprised as Continental Breakfast in airline terms almost always means bad.

2. MIA-ORD-MIA Lunch- So I was expecting the "normal" lunch service. Salad/Choice of 2 mains/dessert, no I ended up with just a Salad. How is that lunch. That is a snack service. I feel bad for the crew, they were all so friendly trying to make the flight great.

If AA wasn't part of OneWorld I might have really considered not flying them again. Personally, I find AA Economy unbearable and Business/Domestic First really not worth it. I fly for business and all I really want is a proper meal with a half decent glass of wine on my flight. At least I now know to eat in the airport.

BA2158
Sir, what kind of cheese would you like to go with that whine?

You may need to reset your expectations regarding short hops from an airline teetering on bankruptcy. Based on my experiences with other airlines, AA seems to do the best they can while maintaining their margins.
Old Nov 21, 12, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigmac78 View Post
Sir, what kind of cheese would you like to go with that whine?

You may need to reset your expectations regarding short hops from an airline teetering on bankruptcy. Based on my experiences with other airlines, AA seems to do the best they can while maintaining their margins.
How nice of you to ask, stilton would be great lol

Sorry, was agitated after my long flight.

What I was really trying to say was, I would just like when I am booking the flight to have a more realistic expectation. Not to long ago "lunch" was a full meal. If AA needs to do cost cut backs I accept that. I would just prefer them to advertise the meal as such so I can eat in the airport or bring something onboard.

Apologies for the rant
Old Nov 21, 12, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by BA2158 View Post
Apologies for the rant
From what I hear, it's no better on any AA domestic competitor. Southwest will feed you all the peanuts you want, however.
Old Nov 21, 12, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
Have you experienced better meals on those flights from other carriers? If so, which airline?

Also you didn't state your flight times. Maybe all you were really scheduled to receive was a snack.
Old Nov 21, 12, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TR7_DFW View Post
Have you experienced better meals on those flights from other carriers? If so, which airline?

Also you didn't state your flight times. Maybe all you were really scheduled to receive was a snack.
Honestly, I don't fly other carriers with US Domestic travel, stick to OneWorld for lounge access etc. I've generally had quite great experiences so I stuck with AA.

Sorry should have stated, AA2295 (MIA-ORD 12:30pm departure). Meal stated as Lunch.

The return was AA1556 (ORD-MIA 12:15pm departure). Meal stated as Lunch.

I think I know what to expect now so future travels won't be a problem
Old Nov 22, 12, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
BA2158 I in no way found your post over the top.

I'm sorry but a four hour flight is by no means a 'short hop'. A short hop for me is an hour, maybe two. On a four hour flight in First/Business Class I would be extremely disappointed by Special K and some stale fruit.

There is a saying: if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. Perhaps the reason that airlines like AA are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy is because it offers products like you mention on a four hour flight in a so-called Premium cabin (and at a Premium price). If you want people to pay the price you charge for a premium product you have to offer a premium service - or people won't pay it again. Pretty simple really.

I just don't see why they have to offer such appalling catering on flights that are not particularly short when on their longer international sectors their catering is fantastic! I just got back from a JFK-LHR flight in J and the food - amount, quality, presentation - knocked the socks off of what BA offers on the same route. It was fantastic. And our flight time was 5hr50min. I don't understand why the offering is so appalling on a four or five hour flight because it is considered 'domestic' or 'caribbean'.

Last edited by duckied; Nov 22, 12 at 10:34 am
Old Nov 22, 12, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duckied View Post
BA2158 I in no way found your post over the top.

I'm sorry but a four hour flight is by no means a 'short hop'. A short hop for me is an hour, maybe two. On a four hour flight in First/Business Class I would be extremely disappointed by Special K and some stale fruit.

There is a saying: if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. Perhaps the reason that airlines like AA are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy is because it offers products like you mention on a four hour flight in a so-called Premium cabin (and at a Premium price). If you want people to pay the price you charge for a premium product you have to offer a premium service - or people won't pay it again. Pretty simple really.

I just don't see why they have to offer such appalling catering on flights that are not particularly short when on their longer international sectors their catering is fantastic! I just got back from a JFK-LHR flight in J and the food - amount, quality, presentation - knocked the socks off of what BA offers on the same route. It was fantastic. And our flight time was 5hr50min. I don't understand why the offering is so appalling on a four or five hour flight because it is considered 'domestic' or 'caribbean'.
Thanks
I know, the food on AA long-haul is so much better than BA. BA needs to take some pointers there

I guess the margins on ex-Caribbean and US Domestic are lower but, I do think something more could be offered. Maybe something like a smaller version of what is offered on JFK-LHR, just a thought. I just don't think I should be worrying when flying First about being hungry. I purposely try and avoid flights that say "Snack" or "Light Meal" because I'm usually connecting and appreciate something more substantial which I expected from "Lunch". It's hard flying a 4 hour flight into a 3 and a half hour flight with a short connection and only eating a bowl of special K, bowl of fruit, and a salad combined.

If you want people to pay the price you charge for a premium product you have to offer a premium service - or people won't pay it again. Pretty simple really.
Agree 100%

BA2158
Old Nov 22, 12, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I'll be doing MIA-CUR next week during "dinner" time. I hope we get more than a salad.

Search this Thread