Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transcon First Class with Food Allergy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by berlinflyer83
Seems prudent to use the same food to meat different dietary requirements when possible.
Perfect typo, I love the idea of using a food to 'meat' a vegetarian requirement

For the OP, if the allergy to mushrooms is serious then the only safe assumption is that there will have been cross-contamination so I would suggest bringing their own food with them.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:21 am

Why would it be an error?
Honest question, are you celiac?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Why would it be an error? Pasta could be halal, vegetarian, and gluten-free. Seems prudent to use the same food to meat different dietary requirements when possible.
Because from what I can see, gluten free pasta is more expensive than wheat-based pasta. . .and we all know that airlines won't spend more money than they have to. I am inclined to believe that it is either a website error, or the airline doesn't understand what gluten-free is.

An airline could produce a meal which was vegetarian (and therefore by definition, halal) and gluten-free, but if I were the chef, I certainly wouldn't use pasta as the starch (even if it was gluten-free).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't assume

Even if the menu did not include an item with mushrooms, you can't assume that any given food was prepared without contact with mushrooms. That is equally the case for the steak, the fish or any of the special meals.

It's a silly risk to take when there are tons of alternatives available to tote along.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I, myself am severely allergic to mushrooms. Most lunch flights are fine, but with Dinner flights I tend to buy a meal in the airport or at the admirals club and bring it on board. Quite often there is some form of mushroom in a dinner dish. ie; pasta dish with mushrooms, and the prior mentioned dish. It's a less common allergy but frustrating none the less.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
I have a severe food allergy myself. Unless I've purchased it, unwrapped it, chopped it, diced it, baked it and served it - I leave nothing to chance.
I'm sure AA will make every effort to accommodate, but when it comes to food allergy assurances, there is never a 100% guarantee.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Because from what I can see, gluten free pasta is more expensive than wheat-based pasta. . .and we all know that airlines won't spend more money than they have to. I am inclined to believe that it is either a website error, or the airline doesn't understand what gluten-free is.

An airline could produce a meal which was vegetarian (and therefore by definition, halal) and gluten-free, but if I were the chef, I certainly wouldn't use pasta as the starch (even if it was gluten-free).
Does this pasta vegetarian special meal actually exist, or is just some sample meal mythology?

I'll admit not having had a vegetrian special meal on AA for a couple years, but whenever I have had it, it has had corn, or rice, or some other grain, but never have I seen actual pasta in an AA vegetarian special meal.

Having said that, the cost of the pasta is a trivial part of the cost of a meal. I don't therefore agree that an airline would avoid gluten-free pasta, especially if lowers their costs of stocking multiple different meals that get low usage. The cost savings from combining two or three meals into one may be much greater than the slightly higher cost of one or two ingredients.

Besides, they are already saving so much money already on a vegetrian/etc meal, compared to shrimp and salmon and steak meals (that many of the customers who don't get special meals have), they can afford to spend a little tiny bit of that savings on gluten-free, if it helps them minimize the number of meals.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT (fmr CK), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Photo preview?

Picture from the AA site shows what I believe is the entree you're describing:

From my observation, it looks like the mushrooms are on top of the steak, with a ramekin of sauce on the side. However, who knows if it will actually be plated like that in-flight.

As someone with severe allergies myself, I'd just reiterate those urging you to bring your own food if you want to avoid issues.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
I have a severe food allergy myself. Unless I've purchased it, unwrapped it, chopped it, diced it, baked it and served it - I leave nothing to chance.
I'm sure AA will make every effort to accommodate, but when it comes to food allergy assurances, there is never a 100% guarantee.
^ ^ ^ ^ plus Siskel & Ebert give it ^^

Caveat Emptor"-Roman Merchant

"Trust, but verify"-Ronald Reagan

"After all, it's all on me!"-Dallas49er

I too, have recently had to take responsibility for 100% of what goes into my body, either by infusion, liquid, or solid. I appreciate the research involved in the possibility of "taking some time off/a day off". The cold, hard reality, as I am sure ACYYZ/SD (and others) will attest to, if you or your traveling companion needs 100%, nothing other than do-it-your-self will give you 100% comfort.

I share your pain.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by midavid1
Hi kind and friendly FlyerTalk folks,
thanks for the funny

First-time posting, long-time reader. I’ll start off by saying that, yes, I have done a search already of the forums and was unable to find the appropriate answer. I called American Airlines and, well, I didn’t get the best answer, but I also don’t fault the phone representative.
I'm not surprised AA couldn't tell you what they serve on their planes, neither can their pax

I am flying in First Class, transcontinental from SFO to MIA in Dec. The person accompanying me, also in First Class, has a food allergy: mushrooms. According to AA’s website, the meal options in first class are as follows:

(1) Grilled salmon with lemon caper sauce served over orzo with a side of grilled root vegetables
(2) Flat iron steak topped with a rich sauce of mushrooms and pearl onions served with broccolini
(3) Bring your own just to be safe

Unfortunately, fish is not an option for this traveler. (Please be nice, folks. I understand everyone has specific taste in food, and I respect that). The issue here is the “sauce of mushrooms.”
that the pax doesn't like fish really is the passengers problem, not AA's or anyone elses.. see #3 above

Is the “sauce of mushrooms” already poured on to the flat iron steak? Or does it come separate, such that it never comes into contact with the plate containing the flat iron steak? I’m inclined to think it is the latter, but I can’t get confirmation from American phone representatives on this. Ideally (with similar in experience on United), the main portion containing the flat iron steak is separate, and then the FA pours on the “sauce of mushrooms.” To avoid this traveler’s food allergy, the FA could simply not pour it on. But I was hoping to find out from others, or maybe an American FA?

Thank you so very much!
The only aircraft I see for the nonstop SFO to MIA on a random date is a 757 (2 class) and a 763 (2 class) so I think based on this, you have been provided your answer already in this thread

when in doubt, go back to #3 above

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.